Forums

Help › Forums

Out of mulch?

Mon, May 24 2010 2:39 PM (32 replies)
  • uujm
    9 Posts
    Sun, Jul 26 2009 10:35 AM

Anybody have any tips on hitting out of mulch?  I got an eleven on #7 at Kiawah because I couldn't advance the ball no matter what I tried... pitch, chip, flop and full shot, when I landed in mulch behind the green about 20 yards away?

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Sun, Jul 26 2009 11:31 AM

Punch shot should work in that situation.

• paulmcm
    449 Posts
    Fri, Nov 6 2009 3:32 AM

The punch shot doesn't work on this hole, i've just tried every conceivable shot from 12 yards out of this mulch and nothing will move the ball - this surely must be a bug!

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:02 AM

A while back I went into the mulch just to the right front of Kiawah #7, I was there in 2 shots and proceded with pitch, chip, putt, flop, punch...nothing...I only had around 25 yards to the hole. With nothing to lose, I hit a punch hybrid at, I believe  around 60% power, I'm not clear on this because at that point my care level wasn't available, nevertheless the ball came out hot to the other side of the green leaving a simple pitch. If I had employed that shot first, I would have saved par instead of the 10 I ended up with.

• MrEd
    22 Posts
    Thu, Nov 12 2009 8:24 PM

Same situation...hit 9 iron puch shot backdown fairway about 70-75 yards out...played 4th shot back to green.....trying to advance ball towards pin doesn't work...unfair but that's life

• igiveup
    110 Posts
    Thu, Nov 12 2009 10:57 PM

you can play out of any of any other mulch lie on the course except green side at # 7... But its not a program bug... go figure...

• coolswing
    1,017 Posts
    Fri, Nov 13 2009 3:23 AM

I can assure everyone that the punch shot definitely doesn't work on this hole ! Anyway try a full shot with either of the wedges and take some power off it.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Fri, Nov 13 2009 5:10 AM

I use a 7 iron with a full swing just to advance the ball to the fairway, It's better than hacking at it several times, and adding strokes.

In order for this shot to be effective, it's crucial we hit the meter square, any deviation can spoil the shot. The same effect goes for a rough, or bunker shot too.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Nov 13 2009 7:48 AM

I just completed a quick practice session at Kiawah purposely hitting the ball into the mulch on holes #3, #6 and #7. In each case I used a PUNCH HYBRID at about 50% power and got successfully OUT OF THE MULCH, in one shot, in each instance. This is contrary to the incorrect statement of poor advise offered by coolswing.

• paulmcm
    449 Posts
    Fri, Nov 13 2009 8:13 AM

was the mulch on #7 back right of the green? Because i tried punch hybrid from there and it didn't move an inch

RSS