Forums

Help › Forums

Conceding Should be Black and White

rated by 0 users
Tue, Nov 24 2015 5:19 PM (53 replies)
  • ct690911
    7,201 Posts
    Mon, Nov 23 2015 1:33 PM

Speaking of CCs...that option is still not available in multi player games, once they go into extra holes...is this a glitch, or a permanent change by wgt? ..(I realize that some would contend there is little difference...lol)

ct

• Tamsach
    2,823 Posts
    Mon, Nov 23 2015 3:54 PM

I'm a matchplay animal. When I started to play this game someone told me to concede 2ft and below and now I'm convinced that it's a right measure. Obviousy if you are at the first hole in SA with the low pin, you can concede even 3ft. It's so flat all around. Better to clarify this at the 1st hole, but I saw that the 2 ft it's almost a common rule. The origin of this "rule" is that Golf was played by "nobility", gentlemen. It's something simillar to grant the honours of war, to respect the opponent. It's also a way to demonstrate yr sportmanship in sport! lol Furthermore, in a computer game where outer factors, like software, can influence the action, I think that conceding is the right thing to do. I was quite surprise when I played vs FMagnets and he told me that he never concedes. What the hell: you are already the strongest by miles, and you wanna also take advantage from potential unlucky events for yr adversary? I definitely decided that FMagnets is not a gentleman and neither a golf player, imho.

• StrayedFairway
    379 Posts
    Mon, Nov 23 2015 4:36 PM

Tamsach:
    I definitely decided that FMagnets is not a gentleman and neither a golf player, imho.

Then don't concede any putts as well; surely that would mean an even playing field, concedes are given not asked for IMHO.

Tamsach you have whipped me brutal at times in AS, IMSMC

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Mon, Nov 23 2015 5:39 PM

Bottom line, if concedes were "black and white", here would not be an option.

MP (IMO) is a mind game...concede a 5 footer here and there, but make your opponent hit that 3.6 footer downhill twisty,later om in the match.

Who would concede a 3 footer at BPB #15 w/the front hole?

Oak # 9 front hole?///and many on Merion as well?

As is for fun.  MP is for the win.

• ct690911
    7,201 Posts
    Mon, Nov 23 2015 6:14 PM

Tamsach:

I'm a matchplay animal. When I started to play this game someone told me to concede 2ft and below and now I'm convinced that it's a right measure. Obviousy if you are at the first hole in SA with the low pin, you can concede even 3ft. It's so flat all around. Better to clarify this at the 1st hole, but I saw that the 2 ft it's almost a common rule. The origin of this "rule" is that Golf was played by "nobility", gentlemen. It's something simillar to grant the honours of war, to respect the opponent. It's also a way to demonstrate yr sportmanship in sport! lol Furthermore, in a computer game where outer factors, like software, can influence the action, I think that conceding is the right thing to do. I was quite surprise when I played vs FMagnets and he told me that he never concedes. What the hell: you are already the strongest by miles, and you wanna also take advantage from potential unlucky events for yr adversary? I definitely decided that FMagnets is not a gentleman and neither a golf player, imho.

I've never played FMagnets...I doubt he would ever play me as the game would probably be over in 5 holes...kind of boring for him. I do know his reputation, like everyone else on here...and I think you are being a bit harsh with your highlighted statement. To dominate as he does requires an almost killer instinct...he plays big tournaments, often with a lot on the line...I suspect he plays any game with the same mentality. I agree with MBaggese, that Alternate is simply for fun...a social thing with golf as the back drop...Although I started with MP games to tier up and to get half decent, I play Alt almost exclusively now. ..I would think the very top players don't. They probably stick to Stroke tourneys and maybe some MP.  Regardless of the format, I also think they aim to fully dominate the game...ergo, no CCs.

• SoKoSteve
    128 Posts
    Mon, Nov 23 2015 7:49 PM

sue333318:

I never expect a concede and only give them when I feel fit, to concede from 3ft!!!!   Off the tee at the next?

Time for the op to get real

Think you missed the briefing, cupcake.

Let me put it as simply as possible:

a) I consider 3ft and under concedes unless my opponent thinks otherwise; (and I'm fine with that)

b) My opponent thought otherwise;

c) I didn't concede anything there on out and he missed a couple very short putts (one was wonky, but I would have conceded it anyhow) and he was angry about it.

d) I won because he missed two gimmees that would have otherwise been conceded because he decided that was the way he wanted to play

Some think that 3ft is good unless it's wonky (#9 at Oakmont, #1 side putt at Merion), but I feel that 3ft and in at all times is gentlemanly and takes away any chance of a miss from a meter or hole glitch.  Others disagree, as did my opponent, and I'm fine with that; live by the sword, die by the sword.

Got it?  Now get real.

S.

• sue333318
    631 Posts
    Mon, Nov 23 2015 11:22 PM

SoKoSteve:

sue333318:

I never expect a concede and only give them when I feel fit, to concede from 3ft!!!!   Off the tee at the next?

Time for the op to get real

Think you missed the briefing, cupcake.

Let me put it as simply as possible:

a) I consider 3ft and under concedes unless my opponent thinks otherwise; (and I'm fine with that)

b) My opponent thought otherwise;

c) I didn't concede anything there on out and he missed a couple very short putts (one was wonky, but I would have conceded it anyhow) and he was angry about it.

d) I won because he missed two gimmees that would have otherwise been conceded because he decided that was the way he wanted to play

Some think that 3ft is good unless it's wonky (#9 at Oakmont, #1 side putt at Merion), but I feel that 3ft and in at all times is gentlemanly and takes away any chance of a miss from a meter or hole glitch.  Others disagree, as did my opponent, and I'm fine with that; live by the sword, die by the sword.

Got it?  Now get real.

S.

Thanks so much for the insight Doughnut, I'm sure I have much to learn form your undoubted wisdom.

Cupcake

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2015 1:31 AM

Tamsach:

That's possibly the biggest pile of $hite I have had the misfortune to read in this forum.

Golf was invented and played by Scottish shepherds not 'noblemen'.

Your diatribe against Magneto is so far from the truth that it's laughable.

Your post could have been condensed into four words -

Tamsach:

I am a dick.

• Tamsach
    2,823 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2015 1:50 AM

PaulTon:

Tamsach:

That's possibly the biggest pile of $hite I have had the misfortune to read in this forum.

Golf was invented and played by Scottish shepherds not 'noblemen'.

Your diatribe against Magneto is so far from the truth that it's laughable.

Your post could have been condensed into four words -

Tamsach:

I am a dick.

Ty Paul, you are very kind. I could say: the prototype of a golf player. lol I wrote played by gentlemen, not invented. Bye

P.S.: also a sheperd could be a gentleman. It's a mind attitude that you have not.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2015 2:06 AM

Tamsach:
    I wrote played by gentlemen, not invented. Bye

No. you said nobility. Your idea that the nobility were also gentlemen is comical, read any country's history and you'll find that the 'nobility' were violent, duplicitous, immoral thieves and opportunists.

In the country it was invented and developed golf was never (and still isn't) an elitist game.

I don't actually think you're a dick, but your comments about Magneto were miles wide of the mark. He's not only one of the best to ever play this game, he is also one of the nicest guys to knock a ball around with.

RSS