Forums

Help › Forums

Conceding Should be Black and White

rated by 0 users
Tue, Nov 24 2015 5:19 PM (53 replies)
  • SoKoSteve
    128 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2015 7:06 AM

Started a round with a guy whom I will leave unnamed, and it was with the usual pleasantries.  Fair enough.  I enjoy a good shot and a good game, and I will say so at the begin, during, and at the end.  So, we get to the pin at the first tee, and my putt is 3 feet;  not 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, but 3.0 feet.  Generally, it's 3.0 and under for conceding (and I often concede longer putts if the opponent is a good shot, the putt is easy, and we are amicable), although it's obviously the opponent's prerogative.  I waited about 15 seconds before I realized that he wasn't going to concede and I hit the putt with a little too much juice and indignation stemming from this guy's seemingly two-faced crap.  Well, I rimmed it and he went one-up.  Needless to say, the pleasantries were left on green #1.

That's fine.  He hit every putt from there on out.  1.7 feet.  2.2 feet.  He hit them all as I wasn't about to play the "concede when I feel it's appropriate" game.  And you know what?  The guy missed a straight 2.7 footer on the third, and a 2.0 footer on the penultimate hole to give me the match!

(He subsequently disconnected and made me wait the 5 minutes)

Sweet sweet sweet poetic justice.

For me, conceding is black or white people.  There is no gray area when it comes to conceding if you're a gentle(wo)man.

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2015 7:26 AM

SoKoSteve:
    I waited about 15 seconds before I realized that he wasn't going to concede

You must have been playing Icon or his alter-ego :-)

• hakman123
    2,119 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2015 7:42 AM

I don't see it as black or white.

If you have a dead straight 5 footer on the flat I'll probably concede it.

However if you have only a 3 footer - but it is perilously curly and down a 6" slope - then I'm going to let you putt it.

If you are sinking everything - then I'm more likely to concede putts to save time - but if you have missed everything, then don't be surprised if I don't concede a small one.

the problem of players left hanging is just stupid.  WGT could easily include a time-out function of less than 5 minutes after the match is concluded.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2015 7:51 AM

To concede or not is at the only discretion of each player. It's part of Matchplay, courtesy as well as tactics.

I'd usually not agree to a "concede inside ... feet" proposal but concede generously in a friendly match, or be unpredictable when something is at stake.

• ct690911
    7,190 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2015 8:03 AM

"Generally, it's 3.0 and under for concedingalthough it's obviously the opponent's prerogative"

"For me, conceding is black or white people.  There is no gray area when it comes to conceding if you're a gentle(wo)man." (??)

I tied a few of your statements together for ease of response, but you clearly contradict yourself.  There are no rules governing CCs, therefore they are never "black and white"... unless agreed to at the start of the game (you made no mention of doing this). 

congrats on your win, though...:)

ct

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2015 8:10 AM

alosso:

To concede or not is at the only discretion of each player. It's part of Matchplay, courtesy as well as tactics.

I'd usually not agree to a "concede inside ... feet" proposal but concede generously in a friendly match, or be unpredictable when something is at stake.

This.

• ZioMio
    4,680 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2015 8:22 AM

courteneyfish:

alosso:

This.

Concur

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2015 9:25 AM

ZioMio:

courteneyfish:

alosso:

This.

Concur

Agreed.

The OP getting butthurt enough to start a thread on it is totally hilarious. Thank's SoKo, I needed a good laugh today.

• Ducati916
    1,116 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2015 10:03 AM

typically 3 ft...but....3 ft  on the side of the pin on # 5 or 6 Merion vs 3 ft on #9 St. Andrews...different story....in my mind, it's always at the discretion of the player to decide whether to give it or not...

• ct690911
    7,190 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2015 11:59 AM

Ducati916:

typically 3 ft...but....3 ft  on the side of the pin on # 5 or 6 Merion vs 3 ft on #9 St. Andrews...different story....in my mind, it's always at the discretion of the player to decide whether to give it or not...

And the OP stated same...until he didn't ?

RSS