Forums

Help › Forums

Conceding Should be Black and White

rated by 0 users
Tue, Nov 24 2015 5:19 PM (53 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2015 12:04 PM

LMAO. Ask Icon about conceding. He has a zero tolerance policy.  :-)

p.s., Do you really call it a win if your OP borks a 2 foot putt? I think not. They lost it, you didn't win it.  ;-)

• SeabrookFlash
    463 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2015 1:07 PM

I have always thought of conceding putts to be a strange part of the game of golf.  In a match , even a friendly one , there is a certain level of competition  and the thought of conceding anything is bizarre to me.  I for one would never get chapped off if someone chose not to concede a 2-3 foot putt to me If I wasn't good enough to make those, I didn't deserve to win in the first place.. I usually concede putts within 2-1/2 feet but reserve the right not to and expect no repercussions from my opponent. I figure that if he isn't good enough to make the short ones, why should I concede them in the first place. Has anyone been standing over a short putt and wondering if they could make it and then their opponent concedes it , and thought pheww I'm glad of that because I wasn't sure I could make it.  Or , why did he concede that one, thanks for the gift.

Maybe they should concede extra points in the NFL.  Or concede ball 4 in baseball.  I think not.  

If any of you get bent out of shape over not being on the receiving end of conceded putts, may I suggest that you try a less stressful game than golf.

• mathia14
    1,271 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2015 1:25 PM

The guys I play with or against always cc 3' or less.  Just for fun anyway.  We sort that out on the 1st hole.

• KyRock75
    411 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2015 1:43 PM

YankeeJim:

LMAO. Ask Icon about conceding. He has a zero tolerance policy.  :-)

p.s., Do you really call it a win if your OP borks a 2 foot putt? I think not. They lost it, you didn't win it.  ;-)

Nah   Icon has conceded a lot of putts to me...some of them might have even been almost a foot lol

Rock

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2015 2:14 PM

"Whatever it is, I'm against it..."

• SoKoSteve
    128 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2015 3:47 PM

I expected these responses (and added the "no gray area to really get the naysayers naysaying),  but maybe an important part was lost on some:

This guy didn't concede and I muffed a putt; he then muffed two putts that he also would normally have made due to his initial non-concede.  After he muffed them, he had a hissy fit and disconnected.

So, if this guy thinks not conceding is simply part of the game to mess with your opponent's head, why would he get miffed about it?  He shouldn't, should he?

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2015 4:26 PM

SoKoSteve:

I expected these responses (and added the "no gray area to really get the naysayers naysaying),  but maybe an important part was lost on some:

This guy didn't concede and I muffed a putt; he then muffed two putts that he also would normally have made due to his initial non-concede.  After he muffed them, he had a hissy fit and disconnected.

So, if this guy thinks not conceding is simply part of the game to mess with your opponent's head, why would he get miffed about it?  He shouldn't, should he?

With respect Steve...I'm not a "naysayer", and even congratulated you on your win. Most of the responses seem fairly consistent re: conceding putts...your initial post was contradictory as far as your own views on it. You initially stated that CCs are at the discretion of the opponent (correct), but later said it was black and white (incorrect). ..unless CC rules are agreed upon at the beginning of the game.

cheers,

ct

• sue333318
    631 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2015 4:48 PM

I never expect a concede and only give them when I feel fit, to concede from 3ft!!!!   Off the tee at the next?

Time for the op to get real

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2015 6:59 PM

I don't play much match play or A/S but when I do conceding is black and white. I will concede anything under 3 feet except on holes like # 2 @ St. Andrews  or if it is for the match. I also tell my opponent that I am a lousy putter so make me putt everything.

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Mon, Nov 23 2015 9:31 AM

borntobesting:

I don't play much match play or A/S but when I do conceding is black and white. I will concede anything under 3 feet except on holes like # 2 @ St. Andrews  or if it is for the match. I also tell my opponent that I am a lousy putter so make me putt everything.

Once you type the word "except"... black and white becomes grey...lol

ps..what about 3.1 ft str8 uphill putt when a TL or Champion?...3.2 ft?...etc.

RSS