Forums

Help › Forums

Tough-It-Out VT event: Merion

rated by 0 users
Fri, Dec 11 2015 2:23 PM (67 replies)
  • Young46
    1,294 Posts
    Sun, Nov 15 2015 1:50 PM

76 for me: 3 double bogeys, 1 bogey & 1 birdie. 

• leond11
    59 Posts
    Sun, Nov 15 2015 9:03 PM

83, including 5 putts on a steep #3 green.  Thank you for organizing

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, Nov 16 2015 5:17 AM

I've been short of time this last week, and will be this week too, so the stats spreadsheet will come late on for these tourneys, but I wanted to post my own sponsorship of a sleeve for the following 3 prizes:

1) Highest overall percentage of Greens in Regulation  (tiebreaker: AveDistancePin)          SPONSORED: Corwyn

2) Closest Ave. Distance to the Hole        SPONSORED: Corwyn

8) Most 1-Putt Saves (as determined by scorecard)    SPONSORED: Corwyn

It's not too late to sponsor any prize if the mood so takes you. Donations very welcome!

Reminder: R1 closes Wednesday night at midnight WGT time.

• mmyers0
    478 Posts
    Mon, Nov 16 2015 9:55 PM

I will sponsor both fewest bogeys and most birdies.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Nov 17 2015 7:35 AM

That's wonderful mm! Thank you so much for sponsoring these.

• AdamK70
    433 Posts
    Tue, Nov 17 2015 2:36 PM

No consistency, 3 double bogeys offset a little by 3 birdies

• mmyers0
    478 Posts
    Tue, Nov 17 2015 9:56 PM

Currently making a run at one of my own prizes, with four birdies through nine holes for a net score of -2. But I'll have to continue in the morning after the maintenance.

• mmyers0
    478 Posts
    Wed, Nov 18 2015 8:49 AM

Couldn't quite keep it up this morning.

I got off to an uncharacteristically fast start, perhaps because I'd played the Olympic tournament Monday night. A 7 iron to 6 feet on #1 for birdie, then I missed a 24 footer on #2, but followed with a 15 footer on #3 to go -2.

A poor approach on #4 left me no chance of a birdie, but it was on the green and I two-putted for par. #5 is nearly impossible with starters; my 3 wood had a good line but never even slowed down as it ran to the bottom of #5 green. I pitched up about 10 feet short and got one of the putts on that green that shows no direct reverse angle. I guessed the break wrong and bogeyed.

#6 is a layup hole, but I foolishly tried to get my wedge shot all the way to the hole... only to leave myself 9 feet across the slope. Very little chance of making that putt, and sure enough I lipped it out and ran 10 feet down the hill. But unlike #5, I got a decent view and was able to hole the bogey.

I misplayed my approach wedge on #7, not expecting it to land short of the green, but it worked out rather well. I holed the resulting 7 footer for birdie to get back under par.

#8 is pretty simple if you don't hit behind the hole. Driver to semi-flat spot on fairway, 8 iron to 10 feet below the hole, knock in the putt.

I hit a decent tee shot on #9 to 15 feet but missed the ding on the putt and settled for par and a 34 front nine.

Starting again this morning, I hit driver to the left side of #10 fairway and attempted nearly the same shot I'd hit on #6, a punch SW. This time I hit the ding and it paid off with a tap-in birdie to reach -3.

The wind on #11 was mostly head, but a little left to right. I missed ding on my drive just enough to catch the edge of the rough. A 40-50% lie meant I had no chance of reaching the green. I laid up and pulled my approach badly, leaving a 30 foot par putt which I couldn't convert.

#12 and #13 I had birdie putts inside 10 feet, but missed ding on #12 and misread on #13.

#14 had a tailwind, so the green was actually reachable, but my 3 wood approach took a hard bounce and ran through it. I couldn't stop my flop shot near the hole, and missed the resulting 13 footer.

I though my approach on #15 might be a little long. Instead, it came up 13 yards short, not even in chip range. My flop landed short and came back off. But my second attempt was perfect.

I played my drive a little too far right on #16, leaving a difficult angle to the back pin. My approach caught the edge of the downslope to the right and ran through the green. I got it up and down for a par.

#17 I played 3 wood to the center of the green, but got a little too much mustard on my putt. No problem, just a simple 4 footer that shows no break... until it does. Bogey and back to even par with the hardest hole coming up.

#18 had a nearly straight headwind. I thought maybe I could reach the edge of the fairway, but came up a yard short. The left to right sideslope somehow didn't affect my next shot and I hit it into the rough 170 out, still not reachable. My wedge from 30 yards short ran long, as you can see from the screen. I missed the bogey and finished +2 after reaching -3 through 10.

• HIOSoon
    208 Posts
    Wed, Nov 18 2015 1:12 PM

• ColumbusStorm
    3,417 Posts
    Wed, Nov 18 2015 3:12 PM

I "remembered" the screen shots. However memory was not so good since I forgot which ones were required so I got screen shots of:  putter, driver, 3 wood, then looked at forum and noticed only needed 3w/hybrid and SW/LW, so got the hybrid and then only the SW/LW.

Could not make a putt longer than 9ft, however didn't missed any inside of 9ft either. Only messed up 1 hole #10 which only cost me 1 stroke.

On #10 I've never been 30ft past the front pin position and did not know how fast it was. Thought I lagged it nicely, but still had a 30ft putt coming back.

Luckily "birdied" #18 with a 4 :))

The best ever TIO round for me.

RSS