Forums

Help › Forums

Tough-It-Out VT event: Merion

rated by 0 users
Fri, Dec 11 2015 2:23 PM (67 replies)
  • Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Nov 10 2015 10:41 AM

Heads up... Tough-It-Out events resume this week! This month we have both the missing parallel VT event for October at Merion (held over because of the UEL Ryder Cup), and November's event to be held at Olympic.

We're running both tourneys at the same time (each with their own thread), and they start this coming Thursday 11/12.

PLEASE NOTE: to be eligible for Prizes, there are now NEW Club Proof Requirements (which we started in August). To win a Leaderboard (top 5) or Stats Prize, you must show proof of clubs used in one of the following 3 ways:

1) Video Proof (see this post for details and example);

2) Greenshot with Club Bag Hover (with 3H or 3W in avatar's hand, and the other one, 3W or 3H, hovered over in the bag, with the fully visible Bag providing evidence of SW and LW);    (see this post for details and example)

3) 4 Greenshots showing 3W3HSW & LW   (see this post for details and example)

Please read the details below BEFORE playing your round.

*** To be in the running for any prizes, you must take and post either a VIDEO record or SCREEN SHOTS with PROOF OF CLUBS used, along with both f9 & b9 CARDS and all the STATS!!!!!  ***

this is a placeholder for now... full details on the event to follow later today.

TOURNEY OPENS Thursday 11/12

R1 runs Thu 11/12- Wed 11/18; R2 runs Thu 11/19 - Wed 11/25

*** LEADERBOARD & ENTRY LINK is here ***

(and tourney will also be listed in the official WGT tourney list in the Game Client)

Here are the tournament dates and conditions (so you can all get some practice in!).

R1 :: Thu 11/12 - Wed 11/18::

18 holes; Merion; White (Medium) tees, Heavy Wind, Tourney12 greens, New pins, Uneven Lies, equipment restricted to Starter Clubs and Ball

R2 :: Thu 11/19 - Wed 11/25::

18 holes; MerionOrange (Hard) tees, Mod wind, Fast9 greens, Original pins, Uneven Lies, equipment restricted to Starter Clubs and Ball

Please do remember to take care equipping your bag properly ahead of play (i.e. before clicking on the link to enter):

This tournament is only to be played with the full Starter Club set:

Starter Driver,

Starter 3W,

Starter 3H,

Starter Sand Wedge,

Starter Lob Wedge,

Starter Iron Set,

Starter Putter,

and Starter Ball.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Nov 10 2015 10:41 AM

<reserved for TIO History>

INTRODUCTION & HISTORY:

After the success of the holiday special at the beginning of the year, A Bandon Hope, and the eight follow-up tourneys @ RSG in Feb, Kiawah in March, Bethpage in April, Congressional in May, Pinehurst in June, St Andrews and Oakmont in August, and Chambers Bay in September, the Tough-It-Out VT bandwagon moves on to Merion (catching up with the official VT there last month). 

Prior 2015 events: 

Jan: A Bandon Hope  (LB)

Feb: Tough-It-Out VT Feb event: Royal St. George's  (LB)

Mar: Tough-It-Out VT Mar event: Kiawah Island  (LB)

Apr: Tough-It-Out VT Apr event: Bethpage Black  (LB)

May: Tough-It-Out VT May event: Congressional  (LB)

Jun: Tough-It-Out VT May event: Pinehurst #2  (LB(shown in WGT tourney list)

Aug: Tough-It-Out VT catch-up July event: St Andrews (LB)  (shown in WGT tourney list)

Aug: Tough-It-Out VT August event: Oakmont  (LB)  (shown in WGT tourney list)

Sep: Tough-It-Out VT Sept event: Chambers Bay (LB)  (shown in WGT tourney list)

Tough-It-Out competitions have run for several years as community organized events here on WGT (see example here). The Tough-It-Out concept is all about trying to mimic the hardest conditions in Major Championship golf, giving us the challenge of trying to tackle the toughest courses in a manner similar to that faced by the top pros. Par will be a great score! 

By using Starter Clubs and Balls only, and doing it with Uneven Lies we believe this is the hardest test on WGT, and it's one that's a level playing field (pun intended) for all participants. 

WGT is offering a sleeve (of good balls) to the top 5 players in this 2 single-play rounds event (note requirements for prizes below). Thanks Shoe! Good luck! 

TOURNAMENT ENTRY LINK will be posted HERE (event starts Thu 11/12: 1st Rnd ends Wed 11/18

*** Remember, to be in the running for any prizes, you must take and post either a VIDEO record or SCREEN SHOTS with PROOF OF CLUBS used, along with both f9 & b9 CARDS and all the STATS!!!!! (see posts below for details) ***

The tourney is open to all tiers and levels. We'll all be using the same clubs, balls, green speeds, and lies.

PLEASE NOTE: the tourney link (when live from Thursday on) will take you directly to the game client, and if you do not have full Starter Clubs and Ball equipped, you'll get a warning message. Shoe sets these up as equipment-restricted events: please make sure you have only the original free Starter clubs equipped. 

We really do want to encourage newbies to give it a go. It's a great chance for new players (who may be more familiar than old fogies with these clubs) to pit themselves against the best on WGT, and for the experienced player, it's a opportunity to revisit the fun of playing the game without the pressure of needing to make a birdie on almost every hole. 

Prizes:

WGTdbloshoe is generously offering a sleeve (of good balls) to the top 5 finishers across two completed rounds (provided club proof requirements have been met).

Other prizes will be announced below shortly, depending on what donations come in. Please feel free to offer something if you are so moved! As with prior Tough-It-Out events there'll be special prizes in different categories. And, of course, it would be great if any participants are willing and able to Twitch their rounds.

Any questions, please feel free to ask here in the thread.

Thanks, and have fun!

*** LEADERBOARD & ENTRY LINK is here ***

(event starts Thu 11/12: 1st Rnd ends Wed 11/18)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Nov 10 2015 10:42 AM

<reserved for prizes info>

PRIZES:

WGTdbloshoe will award a sleeve to the top 5 players on the final leaderboard (provided they post proof of clubs used along with cards and stats, for each round)

In addition... there will be Special Prizes, which will be announced below (and are subject to the same requirements as the leaderboard prizes).

If anyone wants to be a sponsor, or has another particular prize they think should be offered, please let me know.

Possible Special Prizes: these are the categories we've offered in the past. Some or all, may be on offer this time depending on sponsorships.

1) Highest overall percentage of Greens in Regulation  (tiebreaker: AveDistancePin)          SPONSORED: Corwyn

2) Closest Ave. Distance to the Hole                       SPONSORED: Corwyn

3) Greatest overall total distance made putts        SPONSORED: razza31                 

4) Longest putt made         

5) 'Sticking With It Award' 

6) Least Number of Bogeys or Worse     SPONSORED: mmyers0

7) Most Number of Birdies or Better      SPONSORED: mmyers0

8) Most 1-Putt Saves (as determined by scorecard)     SPONSORED: Corwyn

9) Best Average Scrambling Award (as determined by stats)   

*** Link to Stats spreadsheet for special prizes is posted here ***

SPONSORS:

razza31:
    Corwyn, I'll sponsor the max overall distance of putts made.

Corwyn:
    I wanted to post my own sponsorship of a sleeve for the following 3 prizes:

1) Highest overall percentage of Greens in Regulation  (tiebreaker: AveDistancePin)          SPONSORED: Corwyn

2) Closest Ave. Distance to the Hole        SPONSORED: Corwyn

8) Most 1-Putt Saves (as determined by scorecard)    SPONSORED: Corwyn

mmyers0:
    I will sponsor both fewest bogeys and most birdies.

SPECIAL PRIZES:

Remember: To be in the running for special prizes, please note you will need to share video or screenshots proving clubs used, and your full scorecard and stats.

Tips on how to take screenshots are here: http://www.take-a-screenshot.org/ and here.

This Video shows specifically how to make the required Greenshot image and this one shows what to do if you wish to submit Video Evidence instead.

If anyone's having difficulty with Hovering over the bag for the Greenshot image, please see this post.

And, here's my own How-To video on Posting Screenshots to the Forum thread: https://youtu.be/PWC9zotwl2w

My recommended free hosting service is: http://postimage.org/ -- free, and no signup required) which will provide you with a 'direct link' which you paste in after clicking the 'Insert Media' button above. Please note though that images must be under 1MB in size to get the Direct Link to appear.

---------------------------------------

Again, any donations of prizes will be gratefully accepted! Don't be shy... !

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts

<reserved for Video Proof information>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VIDEO PROOF OF CLUBS USED:

If you have video or streaming capability, please do share a recording of your round, and include in the recording a view of the equipment profile [click on your player name, then on the Equipment tab during the round]. Please also include a quick note of the right time point to find this information.

Alternatively, if your set-up doesn't allow you to record while playing without making the meter unmanageable, you can record a tiny segment of video just before the conclusion of the round that will satisfy the verification requirements.

With my old Mac, I can't stream or even run any of the fancy recording software needed for Twitch etc, but even old Macs do come with QuickTime Player which offers a simple Screen Recording option. Look and see if your computer has something similar.

You can offer video evidence of clubs used that need only be a few seconds long.

Start your recording while on the last green with your current score and conditions visible: click on your player name, then on Equipment, which will display your club set: please click through each club in the bag. Close the Equipment profile and then quickly visit Menu > Scorecard to click through B9, F9, and all 4 Stats tabs before closing back out. Then stop the recording, and save it somewhere. You can now complete your round without any impact on CPU memory due to the recording process as you won't need it while playing any shots. Upload this brief clip to YouTube or similar and post the link in the Forum thread.

Here's an example of what is required as Video Evidence: https://youtu.be/zyaoo2aqVZ4

Note: if you have video capability, and sink your final putt with a sudden realization that you failed to get the screenshot or take the video earlier, then you can still prove you've used the right clubs. Start a continuous recording from the final scorecard/stats page and then, on the return to the main menu, immediately show the clubs one by one that are in your bag, either as Mags has done just with a hover over or by clicking on equipment and running through each club (as I did after my R1).

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts

<reserved for screenshot examples and tips: #1 with Hover>

Below is an example from a practice round for a TIO tourney of the screenshot postings required...

Things to note:

• I've pasted each separate item together (using a photo-editing program), but you can submit them as separate images if that's easier.

• Please only resize down for forum posting to 450px width: please also retain ability for us to right-click/open image to see in legible size. And please also leave the pics active: don't delete them from your photo-service account before the prize-giving is concluded Thanks!

• The first pic, a Greenshot on the Last Hole achieves the following:

1. Confirms Wind and Green Speed conditions, and by switching to Full/Chip/Pitch shot mode displays Lie conditions (confirming Uneven Lies). (We just switch to a club other than the putter in order to show the conditions as best as possible: we switch back to hit the actual final shot!)

2. Shows score after 17th hole, which can be matched to scorecard. [Please note: I will accept a Greenshot (in the format required) on any of the last 4 holes. Final hole is ideal, but if you're worried you'll forget on the final hole, any of the last 4 holes is OK]

3. Proves that Starter ball was used.

4. Confirms clubs used during the round (as far as is possible given the constraints presented by WGT's programming).

Our best method to achieve this is to do what we've dubbed a "BagShot" - switch to Full/Chip/Pitch mode on the final green (or any of the last few holes), and hover over the bag before doing a keystroke screengrab.

IMPORTANT: I have selected the 3H (which is the highlighted club in the numerical club list), but have then hovered over the 3W to enable it to display in the bottom row along with its distance rating 205yds. This offers proof for both of those clubs in one screenshot. The 3H graphic is also displayed as the club in the avatar's hands, offering further verification (note, one can choose a camera view to best display the avatar and club: in this instance I moved the view round until I got one that showed the club in hand as clearly as possible).

Here's a brief video showing how I made the Greenshot image below.

[The Hover over followed by screengrab can be tricky for someone new to it: on a Mac, you just click Command-Shift-4. For Windows, please see this post.]

If you absolutely can't manage to do the Hover over, you can provide 4 separate versions of the Greenshot, with 3W, 3H, SW and LW shown in each. See post immediately below for example.

For eligibility for prizes, don't forget to also post screenshots of all stats tabs. 

How-To video: Stitching together your Greenshot, Scorecards, & Stats images.

How-To video: Uploading your final pic to an image-hosting service & posting it.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts

<reserved for screenshot post with 4 Clubs>

If your system doesn't allow you to do a screengrab successfully while Hovering over the bag, you can provide 4 separate versions of the Greenshot, with 3W, 3H, SW and LW shown in each.

These are the only clubs that matter for Club Proof!

Again, please do your Greenshot on the last hole (to provide best match with the scorecard). I will accept a Greenshot (in the format required) on any of the last 4 holes. Final hole is best, but for the forgetful, any of the last 4 holes is OK]

Obviously, don't forget to include the card and stats as well!

-----------------------------------------------

How-To video: Stitching together your Greenshot, Scorecards, & Stats images.

How-To video: Uploading your final pic to an image-hosting service & posting it.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Nov 10 2015 10:43 AM

<reserved for anything else!>

• MatildaIgaly
    1,822 Posts
    Thu, Nov 12 2015 11:48 AM

Played great F9 before i hit a bump and also had some major lag issues(my pc went insane---NOT WGT fault!)

• DaniUnchained
    44 Posts
    Fri, Nov 13 2015 2:20 AM

Hi, if the club proof is not ok i've the screenshot with all the 4 clubs, just tell me if i i need to post them too or if this one is ok. Thanks

• FluffyGreens
    422 Posts
    Fri, Nov 13 2015 3:36 AM

I have never played on a RL course where it was impossible to drive the fairway,

Could not reach on 4 & 18, that's not realistic more like attrition,

not fun.  :-(

RSS