Forums

Help › Forums

Quitters: Give Us Foes Along with Friends

Wed, May 5 2010 5:43 PM (23 replies)
  • Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Jul 19 2009 8:32 AM

To better deal with the blasted issue of quitters – it seems next to impossible to finish a foursome in multi-player, for example – could WGT please implement a FOES feature to complement the FRIENDS feature?

This is a common functionality in community-based software. In some types of software, FOES are termed IGNORE LIST. Whatever the term, the implementation of the FOES feature might help us better avoid starting a multi-player round with quitters.

When I choose to play a foursome multi-player game, I don't want to find myself alone on hole 2, or with just a single opponent left. Period.

I just played a round with a "Pro" who eagled hole 3 at Bethpage – his first hole-in-one ever. After bogeying on hole 5, he immediately disconnected without saying so much as "Bye" to his 2 co-players. I trust & hope he forgot to save his round before he quit, so that the eagle & hole-in-one never appear in his stats.  

People go to insane lengths to protect their artificially inflated (or should I say deflated) average score. I wonder how many "false Masters" there are here at WGT.com, who only attained their status thanks to quitting every bad round that occurred to them? I had a 72.7 average score earlier today, before a single bad round bumped me back to over 75. So what?

My suggestion to WGT: along with the ADD AS A FRIEND button, give us the ADD AS A FOE button. Both on the player's profile page & on his profile card during play.

Then, on the players selection screen while setting up a multi-player game, give us the option to IGNORE FOES (our own Foes, of course!), so that these are not even suggested for the round you're about to start. Also, show us the Friends/Foes ratio for those names of players that pop up as possible partners for the round. (For example: Johnny -4, Susan +36. That would indicate that Johnny has 4 more Foes than he has Friends, while Susan has 36 more Friends than she has Foes. Definitely no sure-fire indicator, but Johnny would be more likely to quit a round than Susan; otherwise why would he have accumulated so many Foes?)

Yes, the Foes criterion would be anything but objective & unbiased. It might still be a useful indicator, helping us avoid "multi-player" rounds that turn into single-player after a few holes.

Thank you for considering this proposal.

• SWDE
    21 Posts
    Sun, Jul 19 2009 9:19 AM

The WGT has created a wonderful toy for us to play with and also created an unexpected monster for them to work with; I have not played a freinds game in a while for the same reason as your post; I must admit I have left a game or two this year but only as my wife was nagging for me to get off the computer and several times with laging wgt game/ shot bar issues ect.

I have sent you a message. It looks as we may be near the same time zone??

SWDE

• Kaslo
    428 Posts
    Sun, Jul 19 2009 9:32 AM

A piece of paper works just fine.

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Sun, Jul 19 2009 11:18 AM

I just wish they would ban post like this altogether. There are 15 pages of threads on this subject!! In case you missed some of them, here they are!!

You searched for the word(s): quitters

• SonofAnarchy
    130 Posts
    Sun, Jul 19 2009 12:01 PM

is there some sort of prize for playing multi player? does the starter of a room get $100 cash money if everyone finishes the game? and nothing if someone quits? do u get penalized for being in a game where ppl quit some how? what is the benifit of ppl playing a multi player game where ppl do not quit? in other words, who gives a chit. all these ppl who talk about quiters just makes me want to join a room with them and quit just to piss them off ;-)

/rant off

ps. i never played MP game, and probally wont until there is some sort of benifit to it.

• Lysti
    323 Posts
    Sun, Jul 19 2009 1:19 PM

Claremoreblue maybe you can do the same thing with the masters questions! SonofAnarchy I agree & I rarely play multiplayer but I wouldn't lose sleep over anyone quitting ever.......

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sun, Jul 19 2009 1:49 PM

Oh please.. another post about quitters.

People quit, it's a fact.  Get over it.  This is NOT real golf where you're AT the golf course and it's necessary to finish a round.

It's a game, people quit out of frustration, real life issues, computer issues.

NEWSFLASH.. there is nothing you can do about it except DEAL WITH IT.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Jul 19 2009 2:12 PM

Thanks a lot for that bunch of mostly irrelevant, knee-jerk reactions.  

claremoreblue:
    I just wish they would ban post like this altogether. There are 15 pages of threads on this subject!!

I wish you and others would have first read my post before replying to it in a knee-jerk / irrelevant / spammy fashion. My post isn't just another thread bitching about quitters, it's posted in the PRODUCT SUGGESTIONS sub-forum and it suggests the implementation of a new feature to this software, called FOES LIST. Hope that is clear enough now. 

Kaslo:
    A piece of paper works just fine.

It definitely doesn't.

SonofAnarchy:
    what is the benifit of ppl playing a multi player game where ppl do not quit? [...] ps. i never played MP game, and probally wont until there is some sort of benifit to it.

The benefit is increased fun & fulfilled expectations. Again, I don't need to join a foursome only to see it turn into a single-player game after a few holes. But you don't really know what we're talking about, do you, because you never play multi-player games yourself anyway, as you admit, right? So what exactly has prompted you to post your opinion on a subject you know nothing about and that does not relate to you at all, I wonder? Bored much?  

Snaike:
    there is nothing you can do about it except DEAL WITH IT.

Wrong. The whole point of this thread is that you most definitely can do something about it, on the software side of this game. For the very least, allow users to tag Foes as easily as they're able to tag Friends now, even if that tagging should remain private for each user's account. Then, while a multi-player game is being set up, allow for those players that one has tagged as Foes to be excluded from being suggested as potential playing partners. That would be some definite improvement.

SWDE:
    I have sent you a message. It looks as we may be near the same time zone??

Yes, we are, dankeschön. 

• Lysti
    323 Posts
    Sun, Jul 19 2009 2:30 PM

Foe just seems a bit too harsh of a term for WGT.  It is first defined as an enemy and this is a place to make friends.  Maybe someday they will implement an ignore list if thats what the players ask for.  It may get to be a long list though as quitting a game is allowed here.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Jul 19 2009 2:45 PM

Yeah, the term itself is irrelevant, can be called anything. (Although Foe is usually understood humorously in online communities.) You're right about the length of that list, too, which is why a piece of paper isn't practicable. There are ways to implement the Foes feature in a just & fair fashion so it doesn't get abused. I have specific ideas about this, in case the Foes feature is discussed in more detail in future.   

(There are definitely instances where real life or PC issues interfere, causing someone to abandon a multi-player game, but believe me it's highly unlikely that those issues would occur exactly at the moment when one has posted a quadruple bogey or hit the drive in the forest on hole 1. One can usually distinguish voluntary from involuntary quitting pretty clearly. Unless there are PC issues, at least typing Bye in the Chat window, or Sorry need to go, would be the minimum that one would expect from one's partners in a round.)

RSS