Help › Forums

WINDOWS 10 IT HAS ARRIVED

Fri, Jul 31 2015 4:08 AM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • lonniescott711
    4,183 Posts
    Thu, Jul 30 2015 5:40 PM

jayw4862:

Windows 10 is "secretly" downloading the set-up files to everyone's PC that reserved Win 10. I checked, and did find the folder and files, though I am still running 8.1. 

They said they are doing this way to avoid over-load, and to knock download and install times down some. 

When it asks if you're ready, it won't take long, if the files are already in that "secret folder". 

This explains it better.

Not sure how to post a website link. Just copy and paste.

http://www.filecritic.com/windows-10-is-launching-tomorrow-but-it-may-already-be-downloading-on-your-pc-today/

This may explain why my computer has been freezing up over the last few days  Once it gave me the option to reserve it I have been having problems with my computer freezing up and I thought it was my browser acting up . I kept doing force shut downs to regain control not knowing . There was no updating notice or anything showing the system was downloading . I think tonight that I`ll leave my computer on just in case some of the files didnt download properly ..

• CanineSupervisor
    1,882 Posts
    Thu, Jul 30 2015 5:43 PM

The install files are stored in the 'cloud', Jay... lol.

@ Lonnie - just click the windows icon in your task bar (lower right). It will let you know if the files are ready or not and then it will prompt you to upgrade now or later.

Easy Peasy.

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Thu, Jul 30 2015 8:13 PM

CanineSupervisor:
    The install files are stored in the 'cloud', Jay... lol.

Not familiar with the cloud. I found them in my C Drive.

I'm going to create a partition and put 10 in the added partition, so I can dual boot (have choice of 8.1 or 10).

Am glad to hear that it is like 7 but w/ some of 8/8.1's features, too. 7 was the best. Maybe MS got it right this time. I won't know until next week, though.

• 1enigma1
    486 Posts
    Thu, Jul 30 2015 10:02 PM

Hey Corntana hit the ding! lol  :)    ..

• ScottHope
    10,096 Posts
    Fri, Jul 31 2015 12:54 AM

YankeeJim:
    How long did the DL take? I thought I read somewhere that it came in several updates.

Being a little unconventional, I downloaded the Win 10 iso file and burned it to a DVD. The download took about 15mins I guess.

CanineSupervisor:
    @ Scott - how in de hale did you mess the install up? it's auto...lmao

With reference to my reply to Jim above, I installed it with the DVD doing a clean install instead of an upgrade, which in hindsight was wrong because it wouldn't accept the activation code for my Win 8 installation, which was no longer on the PC as I formatted the partition it was on.

So I had to reinstall Win 8, then use my DVD to upgrade that install to WIn 10.

• kersh1976
    2,790 Posts
    Fri, Jul 31 2015 3:47 AM

I've downloaded W10 and all is fine apart from my screen size. I've tried changing my screen resolution but nothing is working. I had this problem when I got W8, but I have forgotten how I fixed it. Does anyone know what i'm doing wrong please.

• ScottHope
    10,096 Posts
    Fri, Jul 31 2015 4:08 AM
    Try updating your graphics card drivers.  : )
  • PAGES
RSS