Forums

Help › Forums

nike vr forged. no good.

Sun, Aug 2 2015 9:03 AM (44 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jun 18 2015 5:05 PM

andyson:
    VEM management is knowing what could happen and playing to minimize its effect. 

I totally disagree with the way you think VEM works. Or at least by the way I'm reading it. I think it makes you have to be more exact in figuring your numbers and execution. It doesn't change your shot, it just manipulates the tolerances for error. It magnifies anything you do wrong and the magnifying glass gets stronger as you play better.

VEM is not going to keep my 6i from carrying the trap in the example, my aiming wrong or missing the ding will. Precision dictates that and shows itself with the irons I use. I do know if I'm stringing birdies, I have to be more and more attentive as the string progresses. It's like looking over your shoulder for that VEM correction which is going to come because the execution is going to fail. If that execution doesn't fail, you score.  :-)

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Thu, Jun 18 2015 5:13 PM

YankeeJim:
    VEM is not going to keep my 6i from carrying the trap in the example, my aiming wrong or missing the ding will. Precision dictates that and shows itself with the irons I use. I do know if I'm stringing birdies, I have to be more and more attentive as the string progresses.

You're saying normally you're not giving full attention to the shot?

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Thu, Jun 18 2015 5:25 PM

Imo this is poor advice.  Disagree with people saying 33's are a poor choice.  I use the ball and find it EXTREMELY consistent and have my best scores with it.  If a 3.5 spin is too much I'd be curious to ask why so many people play Nike 61's, which have the exact same spin rating.

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Thu, Jun 18 2015 8:35 PM

11BC2:

Imo this is poor advice.  Disagree with people saying 33's are a poor choice.  I use the ball and find it EXTREMELY consistent and have my best scores with it.  If a 3.5 spin is too much I'd be curious to ask why so many people play Nike 61's, which have the exact same spin rating.

Read the OP's post. We're talking about 2 different sets of irons (yours and the OP's). I use the Cally 35 when I'm "feelin' it" and the Cally 34 when I'm not "feelin' it". The 34 and 35 are the same ball, but for meter speed and cost.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jun 19 2015 5:03 AM

andyson:

YankeeJim:
    VEM is not going to keep my 6i from carrying the trap in the example, my aiming wrong or missing the ding will. Precision dictates that and shows itself with the irons I use. I do know if I'm stringing birdies, I have to be more and more attentive as the string progresses.

You're saying normally you're not giving full attention to the shot?

I'm saying when in the position of the OP you can't get lazy or expect to get away with the type of shots that got you 4 under to start with. Your game has to go to a new level.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Fri, Jun 19 2015 5:33 AM

YankeeJim:
    I'm saying when in the position of the OP you can't get lazy or expect to get away with the type of shots that got you 4 under to start with. Your game has to go to a new level.

I think you're forgetting that VEM doesn't kick in until it sees your skill level increase/decrease over a certain threshold.  Meaning your game has already gone to a new level!  VEM is gonna mess with you.  And even if you do manage to take it to another level, VEM will see that too and keep messing with you.

The best we can do is expect it and manage it the best we can.

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Fri, Jun 19 2015 6:49 AM

That is an excllent summary of Vem, and I dont think Jim will disagree.

I now understand why when I birdie the first four holes at Merion, I don't birdie the remaining 14 holes.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jun 19 2015 7:17 AM

andyson:
    I think you're forgetting that VEM doesn't kick in until it sees your skill level increase/decrease over a certain threshold.

This is where you and I are thinking different. I don't see VEM as some evil lurking in the background waiting to strike-it's there all the time.

The best way I can think of to analogize what I am trying to say would be to think of the equation that a shot produces. It's filled with numbers that are generated by the shooter-aim, swing strength, club, etc. Those would be hard numbers. VEM is included but as a variable that changes based on tables generated by your scores.  All of them, not just the one in the game you're playing. 

To my way of thinking, VEM is an error factor that magnifies your mistakes. I don't think it takes a perfectly executed shot and destroys it to keep you in line. The low scorers just keep those mistakes to a minimum and correct well when they happen.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Jun 19 2015 7:46 AM

I have a belief that VEM is somewhat personalized. When it shows up for me it is usually in rhythm of the meter that will, at a key moment, be 2 or 3 pixels fast. With time, I have become sensitive to it's potential and prepare for it...I seem to know when it is coming. Then of course, at times I receive those obvious, nut-case shots that are only possible with the belligerent, no shyness versions.  ~ SP ~  

• razza31
    703 Posts
    Fri, Jun 19 2015 7:53 AM

L33s are indeed very inconsistent with Nike irons imo.. I do find them much better in UEL though.. 

RSS