Forums

Help › Forums

nike vr forged. no good.

Sun, Aug 2 2015 9:03 AM (44 replies)
  • cej0
    254 Posts
    Wed, Jun 17 2015 2:15 PM

these irons are a pain in the ass.  the precision rating is high, but they are not precise at all.  ding shots wander in all directions even in practically no wind.    the forgiveness is ridiculous in that there is no forgiveness.  here's what happens to me all the time.  ding shot shooting with a moderate tailwind lands 20 yards short of the listed average distance. usually to ruin an otherwise good round.   slight off ding, very slight, with practically no wind-20 yards short. take a longer club hitting into the wind, take a full shot that should be 10 yards long, comes up short.  short short short always short.  ding or no ding doesn't matter.  nike balls or wgt balls, doesn't matter.  actually trying to shape shots around the wind by off dinging results in not only short shots but shots that wind up far off their intended mark.  every once in awhile you get lucky and the irons respond in a manner they should.   i truly hate these irons.  what a waste of money.  

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Wed, Jun 17 2015 2:25 PM

A bad workman always blames his tools.

• MIBCTGOLF
    165 Posts
    Wed, Jun 17 2015 5:29 PM

LOL , well until the RSi2 irons came out I had the Nike V Forge irons and loved them ,,they were great ions

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Jun 17 2015 5:56 PM

cej0:
    i truly hate these irons.  what a waste of money.  

When I was using the Max 94 irons, I looked at, then rented, 3 times, the Nike VR 85's because it seemed a better idea. I must agree with you except disappointmet is better for me than hate. No sale. However, the Nike VR 97's are the opposite...wonderful..awesome..simply devine :-}

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Thu, Jun 18 2015 8:09 AM

For me, I find the Nikes work well within my approach to the game.  We all play a little differently.  I find that they allow me to hold more (not all) greens with longer irons than my Ping G25's (lvl 59).  But I'll probably never be a TL shooting low to mid 50's rounds.  Time and gravity have ensured that won't happen.  LOL. 

Best lesson here is to RENT FIRST!!   Your decision to do so was the best approach SP.  I needed these irons to move my game up a little bit, and am not yet to lvl 94 to try the Maxs.

Phred952

• cej0
    254 Posts
    Thu, Jun 18 2015 11:34 AM

I don't totally hate these irons.  I merely get frustrated with them from time to time.  Yesterday I had a moment that really set me off.  Playing Chambers Bay qualifier I had birdied the first four holes.  Come to the 5th with 187 yards to the pin, slightly elevated green guarded by the bunker in front.  The wind is 6-8 tailwind.  I choose 4i rated at 205 average distance.  I played the shot at 95% or so, which is usually around 195 yards, full back spin and hit the ding.  The shot went 167 yards into that bunker.  That sort of thing happens all the time.  It really got to me that time.  I understand the circle of precision throws some randomness into shots, but that is just ridiculous.  I had played with the Ping i25 irons from the level 30's up until level 85.  At that point I had made Legend and had a month where I placed highly in almost every tournament I had played and made something like 4000 cr.  The Ping's were great most of the time, but they didn't have the distance to play from the Legend tees competitively.  So I grabbed the Nikes just based on the numbers versus the other clubs sets at that level.  Looking back, I may have wanted to keep the Pings and go with an Adams tight lies hybrid and only 2 wedges.  I guess there are no perfect sets, but this one is fairly erratic, which I wouldn't have expected based on its precision numbers.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jun 18 2015 1:42 PM

cej0:
     I choose 4i rated at 205 average distance.  I played the shot at 95% or so, which is usually around 195 yards

After 4 birdies you can't use words like that-or so, usually, around- because those 4 birdies put you in the next class and you have to tighten up the game or get exactly what you got. This is exactly how VEM works on you.

IDK what your 4i carries (do you?) but the 97 Nike 4i with that ball would carry 196 yards-14 less than the rated distance. If that holds true with your 4i, yours carries 191. Full back spin knocks down rated distances with the 33 Callaway. Take that and the estimate of your partial swing at 95% and I could see landing in that trap.

There's enough of an elevation change to facilitate that, too, it's 6 feet up and you have to carry 177 yards to clear the trap. Then that full back spin will make that ball sit still if you make it, it doesn't roll down.

IMO you discounted the elevation as it affects the iron carry and relied on a 6-8 wind for too much help, especially the way CBay is playing in that qualifier. Learn the carry numbers of your irons, they're excellent clubs but you have to know them. And know that a 4 biride start should put you on high alert to expect the game to get harder. That's when YOU take over and think more precisely. : -)

This was a 180 yard 6i with no spin from 187. It landed at 177 yards. Your  5i was prob the club to use.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Thu, Jun 18 2015 2:36 PM

YankeeJim:
    After 4 birdies you can't use words like that-or so, usually, around- because those 4 birdies put you in the next class and you have to tighten up the game or get exactly what you got. This is exactly how VEM works on you.

^^^^THIS!!

YankeeJim:
    And know that a 4 biride start should put you on high alert to expect the game to get harder. That's when YOU take over and think more precisely. : -)

But thinking more precisely?  You know me, I can't think any more precisely.  I know my carrys, and spins, and wind effect, I figure in roll, and then use notes to tell me if a hole plays long or short and figure that in too.  But whether or not you go through all the calcs or just decide to hit early and down an avatar move plus a scootch....VEM can still knock 8 yards off or add 6, or move it 5yds left or right.  Precision won't help me.

VEM management is knowing what could happen and playing to minimize its effect.  Its playing smarter.  In this case do what's necessary to take that bunker out of play as much as possible.  If VEM doesn't grab ya, play to be 10ft long and right of the pin. Add a couple yards and play right of the flag.  If VEM does grab ya, a 20ft putt for bird is preferable (to me at least) over that bunker.  True VEM could still put me in the bunker but I've lessened the chances.

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Thu, Jun 18 2015 2:53 PM

cej0:

these irons are a pain in the ass.  the precision rating is high, but they are not precise at all.  ding shots wander in all directions even in practically no wind.    the forgiveness is ridiculous in that there is no forgiveness.  here's what happens to me all the time.  ding shot shooting with a moderate tailwind lands 20 yards short of the listed average distance. usually to ruin an otherwise good round.   slight off ding, very slight, with practically no wind-20 yards short. take a longer club hitting into the wind, take a full shot that should be 10 yards long, comes up short.  short short short always short.  ding or no ding doesn't matter.  nike balls or wgt balls, doesn't matter.  actually trying to shape shots around the wind by off dinging results in not only short shots but shots that wind up far off their intended mark.  every once in awhile you get lucky and the irons respond in a manner they should.   i truly hate these irons.  what a waste of money.  

Try a different ball. The 33 has too much spin. The 35 Cally will be 10x more accurate. When I used those clubs (for a year or so), I used the 48 Nikes. Other than the no-wind (= HUGE deviation and HUGE circle of precission) tourneys, they were spot on.

• DaveDwingdale
    1,240 Posts
    Thu, Jun 18 2015 5:00 PM

jayw4862:

Try a different ball. The 33 has too much spin. The 35 Cally will be 10x more accurate. When I used those clubs (for a year or so), I used the 48 Nikes. Other than the no-wind (= HUGE deviation and HUGE circle of precission) tourneys, they were spot on.

This is very good advice.  I played Srixons and Lvl 85 Nike irons well into Legend tier.I tried the 33 Callys, but found them to be far too "precision" oriented (If you hit the ding every time, they are fairly consistent.If you don't, huge variations.) for my style of play.  Switched to the Cally 35 and used that combo from about Level 94 to Level 100 when I got the Nike Vapor irons. (Still using the Cally 35s)  

What I found with the 35 Cally/ Nike 85 iron combination was that a missed ding would mean I got more roll out, making the distance nearly equal whether I hit ding or (slightly) off-ding.

RSS