Continuity Quiz

rated by 0 users
Tue, Mar 31 2015 10:32 AM (31 replies)
  • opyeuclid
    6,706 Posts
    Mon, Mar 30 2015 4:42 PM

PaulTon:
    Move along

Thats more like it ,, Now the " Fun " starts .

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Tue, Mar 31 2015 12:46 AM

YankeeJim:
    Or it says 10 yards instead of 30 feet. Might be on the fringe, hard to tell.

It's often mixed up in replays. Putts are shown in yards, approaches are shown in feet.

Concerening continuity: Try Merion with CC (or Clash?) flags and watch the shadows on the green...

(only in-game replays, the CC flags won't transport to external replay).

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Tue, Mar 31 2015 3:36 AM

alosso:

YankeeJim:
    Or it says 10 yards instead of 30 feet. Might be on the fringe, hard to tell.

It's often mixed up in replays. Putts are shown in yards, approaches are shown in feet.

Concerening continuity: Try Merion with CC (or Clash?) flags and watch the shadows on the green...

(only in-game replays, the CC flags won't transport to external replay).

Yes ... it will show the wicker basket shadows on Merion, no matter if the flag is not a wicker basket IIRC. The difference in shadows going different directions, is probably the time difference during the day when photographs were taken on or around the greens. I suppose the avatar shadows are matched to the flagstick direction shadows, as they are both in the foreground and more likely to look odd if they are showing in a different direction.

• ScottHope
    10,095 Posts
    Tue, Mar 31 2015 5:48 AM

donsprintr: "I suppose the avatar shadows are matched to the flagstick direction shadows, as they are both in the foreground and more likely to look odd if they are showing in a different direction."

I believe the flag shadow is part of the flash overlay Don, like the avatar shadow, and is not part of the original photo.

Rather short sighted of WGT not to match the shadow direction to the rest of the picture.
  • andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Tue, Mar 31 2015 7:30 AM

My first thought as to what's wrong with that photo was, seeing as he plays every day,  we don't see Obama playing golf anywhere.

& I sincereally think its either hobgoblins or shadow people messing with them shadows.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Mar 31 2015 8:21 AM

andyson:

My first thought as to what's wrong with that photo was, seeing as he plays every day,  we don't see Obama playing golf anywhere.

Good point, Sir Andy ! For so long the question was "it's 3am....who do you want to answer the "Red Phone" ?"  now the question is "it's 11am, who do you not want to answer the "Red Phone" while at the golf course ?"  ;-}

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Tue, Mar 31 2015 8:55 AM

ScottHope:
    Rather short sighted of WGT not to match the shadow direction to the rest of the picture.

Aren't these shot over a few days? A team of photographers (one in a helicopter) all taking pics at different times of day all over every part of the course, that would make shadow continuity for each hole a logistical nightmare. I don't think the shadows match on each part of a hole because of that, so matching the overlays would take too much extra work.

Same thing with the moon I believe.

This is pure conjecture on my part...

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Mar 31 2015 9:24 AM

PaulTon:
    Aren't these shot over a few days? A team of photographers (one in a helicopter) all taking pics at different times of day all over every part of the course, that would make shadow continuity for each hole a logistical nightmare.

LOL. I originally thought you would have to have camera crews in the air, by the trees and all around the green, all taking their shots at the count of 3 to get the shadows right.

Alas, it's WGT's added animation of the shadows that fails.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Tue, Mar 31 2015 9:33 AM

YankeeJim:
    Alas, it's WGT's added animation of the shadows that fails.

Yeah i get that, what i'm saying is, if we were to look at the picture for the OP's approach shot, would the shadows match those of on the green ( the original pic)? And if they don't,and the all others are not matched* then the wgt animated shadow would have to be at a different angle according to each individual photograph in the whole game. Way too much work.

* for the reasons i mentioned before. Like, say a holes green is photographed one morning and it's fairway gets done the next afternoon.

As I said just conjecture but I find it interesting.

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Tue, Mar 31 2015 9:48 AM

Following Paul's thought from above, the shadows of avatar and pin might be the same regardless from which side the green is approached / the hole is putted out.

RSS