Forums

Help › Forums

Serious question...Is WGT about to shut down?

Mon, Mar 30 2015 1:01 PM (149 replies)
  • fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2015 12:05 PM

Hmmm, that's interesting and would explain a lot...I doubt the "monkeys for programmers" sector will find it acceptable though..

• 1enigma1
    486 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2015 12:30 PM

Just tried the WGT mobile app on my PC, plays a lot different IMO, i hope the WGT programmers dont dedicate to much of their time on the mobile app which is fun but nowhere close to the WGT on the PC version.. 

• JasonBlazer
    2,246 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2015 12:56 PM

andyson:

jayw4862:
    I'm just saying that the invite issue is not a priority. If it was, do you not think it would be fixed? Or even addressed? And by addressed, I mean a full statement from WGT telling everyone that it will be fixed, it can't be fixed, live with it, or something?

I'll speculate that the "low level code" issue (as WGT called it) is not entirely under their control.

In 2007, WGT signed a deal with a German company, Exit Games, to use their Neutron 4.0 software to handle the multiplayer PC to PC connectivity. (Neutron since re-named or folded into Exit Games Photon product)  More info on Photon Here. That software handles the connections of players to a MP game and starts it off in the game lobby.  Ever notice while watching the status bar how you start off looking for a MP game on server psj-gs02 and when you join a game you're now on psj-gs09?  That's Neutron (Photon) at work.  Neutron(Photon) runs on the same WGT server (see diagram) as the "Game Engine" and of course communicates with the "Game Engine" so there's some unique WGT code to interface with Neutron.  But Neutron is handling the lower level tasks for WGT.  Tasks like showing what the active Player is doing to the spectator player(s), running the shot timer, the chat, monitoring disconnects, etc.  Again, all speculation on my part, but I've spent some time reading.

Since multi-player was introduced back in 2008 it was always PC to PC.  And it always worked pretty well, with disconnect problems being an exception. 

I'll speculate WGT is now, 7 years later,  trying to implement PC to mobile multi player. (see Fatdan's post on the interview with Cheng where it stated: "The existing web players can seamlessly login to mobile with no friction and the mobile players can play multiplayer game against WGT players on any platform.")

I'm speculating changes were made in the PC version interface to Neutron and in the Neutron code to handle mobile devices.  And those changes eff'd up the invite code.  And speculating those changes were made in the December update as that's when invite problems surfaced and that's when Android testers were requested.

7 years is a long time.  Perhaps the original engineer who worked with Exit Games on the PC to PC implementation is gone? And some dev had to learn the code anew? Perhaps having to interface with an Exit Games engineer in Germany is slowing things down?

Did I mention this is all speculation?

That is by far the most intelligent, well-researched, and plausible post in this entire thread. (Maybe the entire Forum)....

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2015 2:08 PM

Sure is an informative thread from Jason. Think we should just accept game is never going to be the same, pity really but thats the way it is. I have read and commented on various threads now and i do not think i will ever get those months back, so i am going to stop and just play this sh!tty version.

• cdefghi
    2,872 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2015 4:09 PM

jayw4862:

IRISHPUNK:
    What makes you believe this, Jay?

Which part, Dee?

The 2 steps thing seems to make more sense the way I wrote it. To me, anyway.

The dumb post? I don't think that one needs an explanation.

The last course? It's just my feeling. It costs a LOT of money and takes an enormous amount of time to photograph, GPS, scan, and whatever else is involved in making the course ready for play and then putting it on here. I'm not tech savvy enough to know all the of the words to describe the making of a course. But, I am smart enough to know that the number one thing is "cost". Is it feasible? Can we recoup our investment AND make a profit? If so, how long will it take to turn a profit? 

Or, is it best to just keep the PC version of the game as is, grab some new players every day, keep our sponsors/partners happy, and still eke out a profit, and focus on the growing mobile technology and it's consumers?

I think the latter is the plan. But, I'm just expressing my thoughts. I may well be wrong. I honestly hope I am, but I don't think so.

I've been barking the same thing since early January Jay, and I seriously hope we're both wrong.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2015 7:33 PM

At the risk of sounding like breaking news for the Titanic saw this - Android on TV.

Fairly obvious how much I bother to keep up on gaming stuff :)

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2015 7:52 PM

Who cares...been a fun diversion for a few years !

Ty WGT for the times if.......................................

Andy ( will find something else to excel in ( always do )   )

• garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2015 8:10 PM

Jimbog1964:

At the risk of sounding like breaking news for the Titanic saw this - Android on TV.

Fairly obvious how much I bother to keep up on gaming stuff :)

Can do the same thing on your PC, including the mobile WGT.

Bluestacks is 1 of them.

Took a look at it today,  Complete change from the PC version.  Most stuff that you see is reversed to the other side of the screen from here.  Somethings don't seem to work the same.  Others are very close to being the same.  A couple of things I found strange, but it could also be not that familiar with were.  1.  could not find a way to save and quit a game, only withdraw.  2.  You can be a lefty on it.  3.  It didn't run as well on this computer as the site does here.

Looks to be like and different program and website.  Believe this is where all the WGT programmers are spending their time nowadays.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2015 8:13 PM

I think the only thing that kill Wgt is posts like this. The negative feelings by most here is staggering.

Ok, I must admit the game is not the same as a couple of years ago when I was winning credits in Wgt comps.  I have have no chance now to finish in top 5 anymore let alone winning a R/Go.  I've moved on and don't play em, but enjoy the company of great friends playing hard fought friendly multi player games and CC comps.

There is a problem with game Invites at the moment...  even that it only happens on certain days, probably when every mother and their dog has logged on....lol

I had a big meter problem with meter issues...  So I bought a new puter that replaced my 10 yr old one and I have no probs anymore....well  98% perfect.  

This game is still pretty damn good and the only thing that will kill it is  ..... us, the people!

Just saying

Roger

• garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2015 8:32 PM

mantis0014:

I think the only thing that kill Wgt is posts like this. The negative feelings by most here is staggering.

Ok, I must admit the game is not the same as a couple of years ago when I was winning credits in Wgt comps.  I have have no chance now to finish in top 5 anymore let alone winning a R/Go.  I've moved on and don't play em, but enjoy the company of great friends playing hard fought friendly multi player games and CC comps.

There is a problem with game Invites at the moment...  even that it only happens on certain days, probably when every mother and their dog has logged on....lol

I had a big meter problem with meter issues...  So I bought a new puter that replaced my 10 yr old one and I have no probs anymore....well  98% perfect.  

This game is still pretty damn good and the only thing that will kill it is  ..... us, the people!

Just saying

Roger

They are slowly doing to them self.

I tried real hard yesterday in 1 of my CC Comps to get twitch running.  As I wanted to record what I was seeing for WGT's benefit.   Unfortunately, I did not succeed.  Second hole best of famous, left of pin high 10 feet away.  The numbers I am going to use are for example only, as I didn't actually time anything.  Only being given to show what I was seeing.

Front view of putt in both putt and chip mode showed right to left break, with a dot speed of 3 seconds travel in grid, pretty slow.  Reverse view showed opposite break entirely, it also showed a right to left as viewed.  Putt mode dots were moving with a speed of 1 second travel in grid, pretty damn fast.  Chip view also showed right to left as viewed and with a 2 second speed, not nearly as fast as putt view, but faster then front view.

So the guessing game continues.

RSS