Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Serious question...Is WGT about to shut down?

Mon, Mar 30 2015 1:01 PM (149 replies)
  • fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Thu, Mar 26 2015 9:04 AM

WGTMedia, a social-mobile game publisher which started life as World Golf Tour and makes realistic social sports simulations, has made a successful jump to mobile. The company told GamesBeat exclusively that its free-to-play WGT Golf Mobile title has hit 3 million downloads over the past year on iOS.

San Francisco-based WGT creates high-definition virtual sports simulations, with realistic imagery based on actual photographs that makes you feel like you’re really stuck in a sand trap at the St Andrews golf course in Scotland. WGT got its start on the Web and on Facebook, where it found a lot of golf fans who wanted to socialize with each other. They didn’t mind that the 3D graphics weren’t fast-action like realistic video games such as Electronic Arts’ packaged PGA golf games. Over time, WGT added a ton of courses and official licenses, and it retained a small, but loyal and rich, audience.

The studio expanded to baseball in 2012. And now, between WGT Golf and WGT Baseball, the company has had more than 20 million downloads. It made the shift to mobile a year ago with the launch of WGT Golf Mobile on iOS, and the Android version is available in a few countries now. The Android edition will be more widely available in the U.S. and the rest of the world in February. With the results so far, WGT Media expects that the golf game will become the most-downloaded mobile golf title in 2015.

“We enable fans to play their favorite sports games wherever they are,” said YuChiang Cheng, WGT Media founder and CEO, in an email. “As a company we take a methodical, thorough and long term strategy to do things the right way. It took us awhile to learn the mobile way, build a mobile tech platform and also hire top talent, but the investment is paying off.”

He added, “Mobile is very different than web or console and we had to adjust the golf title while building a true trans-media title. The existing web players can seamlessly login to mobile with no friction and the mobile players can play multiplayer game against WGT players on any platform. The main focus of the mobile title is quick 5 min head to head sync multiplier games.”

WGT Golf Mobile has high-definition imagery with actual course photographs, terrain mapping, and physics that try to deliver the most realistic golf simulation. On any given day, more than 100,000 WGT Golf players compete in single and multiplayer games and tournaments on championship courses like Bandon Dunes, Pebble Beach, and St Andrews.

Players can purchase virtual goods that perform like real-world golf equipment. WGT recently launched new virtual in-game equipment from top golf manufacturers, including Callaway Golf, Cleveland, Cobra, Nike Golf, Ping, Odyssey, and TaylorMade.

Overall, all of the WGT Golf titles reach more than 3 million unique visitors a month, with average session times on mobile and the Web at 45 minutes. On average, WGT players are mostly males over 30 years old, and they are also real-world golfers.

WGT offers sponsors in-game and customized branding opportunities. It has also become a sponsor of the largest virtual-golf competitions in the world. For instance, it holds The Virtual U.S. Open with the United States Golf Association (USGA) and sponsor Lexus. That tournament has been growing for six consecutive years.

And WGT launched the PGA Championship Virtual Challenge with the PGA of America last year at the virtual Valhalla Golf Club. More than a million rounds of golf were played, and 25,000 fans experienced the Samsung PGA Pick the Hole Challenge. The WGT Virtual Tour is covered on the Golf Channel, and it is livestreamed on gameplay site Twitch.tv.

And SkyTrak just announced their integration with WGT Golf Mobile for golfers to use their new consumer swing monitor and real golf clubs to play WGT virtual golf courses. Cheng said the new game is monetizing well.

WGT Media has more than 50 employees. WGT’s investors include Battery Ventures, Panorama Capital and JAFCO ventures, along with Mark Shafir, Ronnie Lott and Harris Barton.

• Jresh0817
    1,414 Posts
    Thu, Mar 26 2015 9:07 AM

I ,Like many of you truly enjoy WGT...But what we have seen the last few months is just plain frustrating...So many issues that have not been fixed makes it a struggle to have fun anymore....

:(

• alosso
    21,042 Posts
    Thu, Mar 26 2015 10:23 AM

jayw4862:
    alosso:
    I ask myself: How and where will the game be post-Flash?
    It won't. As long as Flash hangs around, WGT will hang around. The cost to swap/implement a new, better platform would probably equal 5 years of profits.

My fear, too. Your estimate of 90% mobile focus in your very concise next post, together with rumour/information that "Flash is dead" may be an explanation of the state of the game, "stable in defectiveness".

*puts on tin foil hat*

Perhaps the invite failures are well-covered incitements to join the mobile "head to head" games?

Perhaps Pebble Beach will only come in the mobile version?

*looks irritated*

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Thu, Mar 26 2015 11:09 AM

My son in law and a friend of his have the mobile version...he said it plays smooth as silk but he can't even finish one of those mini 3 hole matches without getting booted, just like the pc version...a lot of other hiccups too

• Tigerpaw509
    1,285 Posts
    Thu, Mar 26 2015 11:29 AM

I tried wgt on my Ipad as the game is terrible.

• borntobesting
    9,632 Posts
    Thu, Mar 26 2015 11:34 AM

I don't see the mobile version ever replacing the web version simply because even the biggest tablet is tiny when compared to most of our monitors. It is just too difficult to see well enough on those small screens to play well. 

And there are many of us who are trying to play it on a very small phone screen which is even worse than a bigger tablet. For me mobile is just a diversion at work during lunch hour. 

• stevepsheehan
    2,791 Posts
    Thu, Mar 26 2015 11:41 AM

I've played on an 8" tablet, and whilst the graphics look truly brilliant compared to my PC, the swing control using the touch screen is simply awful. Maybe it will be better if and when I get round to installing my bluetooth mouse - I sure hope so; can't see many doing that though.

However, if you're new to the game, and have never played on laptop or PC, then you'll have nothing to compare to, so will probably be perfectly happy with it.

• patrickmar
    245 Posts
    Thu, Mar 26 2015 11:55 AM

Jresh0817:

With all the bugs and issues that we see right now and the lack of fixes,never in the few years have I been playing seen it take this long to fix anything.Is WGT shutting down??I just want to know ...is there any another reason why they have let things go the way they have?

Concerned customer!!!

I believe that they bit off to much taking on a new course and dealing with these bugs. some have already been fixed and the rest will come on the monthly update. and yes they are very slow to get these issues fixed. I have noticed that if a lot of top rate players express these issues that they do fix it quick or at least provide a hot fix while the site is still running. in all the game is still the best on the Internet today

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Mar 26 2015 12:03 PM

Golly. While there are a few dandy views and thoughts here, I would never be guided by press releases or interviews, both of which are nicely dressed to the "Nine's". If I were, I would be swayed in reverse by listening daily to Jen Psaki, Susan Rice, and Josh Earnest regarding the excellence coming out of 1600 Pennsylvania ave...or, that I should believe that Enron is coming back. No. I must rely upon the things that I see everyday for the past 6 years, as I consider who has the time and money to play, and on what, and why. Throwing it all toward mobile is simply stupid not smart as it relates to properly informed business... 

• ISH47
    1,963 Posts
    Thu, Mar 26 2015 12:33 PM

fatdan:
    Ronnie Lott and Harris Barton.

Whoa.. A couple of badass ex 49er's right there. Lott was a beast.

RSS