Forums

Help › Forums

Serious question...Is WGT about to shut down?

Mon, Mar 30 2015 1:01 PM (149 replies)
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2015 9:18 AM

jayw4862:
    I looked around the crowded waiting area (25-30 people) and noticed that every single person in that room was looking down (even a couple of elderly people) at the device in their hands. And they were doing something on them. Texting, reading texts, swiping side to side, checking emails, etc..... and playing games!!!! This is what WGT knows,
    Yes, it is all they know. If they had a better look they would notice that none of these people have any money. If they did, they wouldn't be part of a 25-30 person "cattle call" to see a Doctor. That is the point of this entire thread. To get the money, you must go where the money is and find the correct, interested, spending customer. Cosmetic face lift jockeys don't go to Fargo, ND or Ferguson, MO , they go to Beverly Hills or Manhattan.

• billcliff
    2,616 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2015 9:18 AM

And once again the response from anyone at W.G.T. IS DEAFENING, cant seem to grasp the ignorance of this company at all.

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2015 9:24 AM

andyson:
    What's your reasoning stating the majority of active players (those who come here to play multiplayer games with friends) only produce less than 5% of the revenue for WGT?

Ball usage in AS games, which is by far the most popular multi-player game is about 1/3 per 9 holes of that of a normal 9 holes played solo. Less ball usage on 9 holes (unless the players are just terrible hacks and take 5-6 shots to reach a green) than there is on 9 holes on a  Par 3 course. I can play 9 rounds and have some ball life left with one ball (2.5 life) on a Par 3 course. I can play 5 rounds on a normal Par 35/36 course. I played an AS game on Pinehurst yesterday and counted my hits (not putts). I hit the ball 8 times. Oh, and we went to extra holes, too.

The 5% is just a rough guess. I will bet it's less than 10% for sure. 

• skullman10
    2,131 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2015 9:25 AM

I play simply for a laugh. And with the ongoing problems..will not spend a penny with them. I use the basic equipment and while annoying when miss sitters, for me it makes it more realistic. Shooting mid 50's -60's isnt. But again thats just my view. About a month or so ago they had Allianz onboard..seems to have disappeared and less sponsorship and ad's in general..coincidence or summat else?..Anyway be a shame if they closed it down completely as it is good fun and generally good but im sure someone else will come along with a similar or better system..

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2015 9:26 AM

andyson:
    What's your reasoning stating the majority of active players (those who come here to play multiplayer games with friends) only produce less than 5% of the revenue for WGT?

And why would you delete the word "probably" from my post?

• IRISHPUNK
    4,019 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2015 9:26 AM

jayw4862:

IRISHPUNK:
    What makes you believe this, Jay?

Which part, Dee?

The 2 steps thing seems to make more sense the way I wrote it. To me, anyway.

The dumb post? I don't think that one needs an explanation.

The last course? It's just my feeling. It costs a LOT of money and takes an enormous amount of time to photograph, GPS, scan, and whatever else is involved in making the course ready for play and then putting it on here. I'm not tech savvy enough to know all the of the words to describe the making of a course. But, I am smart enough to know that the number one thing is "cost". Is it feasible? Can we recoup our investment AND make a profit? If so, how long will it take to turn a profit? 

Or, is it best to just keep the PC version of the game as is, grab some new players every day, keep our sponsors/partners happy, and still eke out a profit, and focus on the growing mobile technology and it's consumers?

I think the latter is the plan. But, I'm just expressing my thoughts. I may well be wrong. I honestly hope I am, but I don't think so.

The last course part.   Thank, man.  I enjoy your posts.  A lot of speculation in them but they are also easy to believe based on just pure common sense.  

• Jresh0817
    1,414 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2015 9:31 AM

I really wish they would update us daily on all the issues they are working on to at least give us some idea of a time frame and the plan going forward....I am looking forward to getting some matches in this weekend and hope invites will be working....

• skullman10
    2,131 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2015 9:34 AM

Dont spose old Chad Nelson gives a monkeys..but hear u

• IRISHPUNK
    4,019 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2015 9:35 AM

jayw4862:

andyson:

Ball usage in AS games, which is by far the most popular multi-player game is about 1/3 per 9 holes of that of a normal 9 holes played solo. Less ball usage on 9 holes (unless the players are just terrible hacks and take 5-6 shots to reach a green) than there is on 9 holes on a  Par 3 course. I can play 9 rounds and have some ball life left with one ball (2.5 life) on a Par 3 course. I can play 5 rounds on a normal Par 35/36 course. I played an AS game on Pinehurst yesterday and counted my hits (not putts). I hit the ball 8 times. Oh, and we went to extra holes, too.

The 5% is just a rough guess. I will bet it's less than 10% for sure. 

There's 4 players though so the ball usage is the same as it would be if we were playing stroke play by outselves.  Drive, approach, putt.  

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2015 9:42 AM

IRISHPUNK:
    There's 4 players though so the ball usage is the same as it would be if we were playing stroke play by outselves.  Drive, approach, putt.  

Sure, if you just count actual number of shots taken. WGT isn't selling total hits, they're selling individual ones and that increases by a snail's pace when playing AS. I can play 3-4 AS rounds a night and only use one ball a week doing it.

RSS