Forums

Help › Forums

Serious question...Is WGT about to shut down?

Mon, Mar 30 2015 1:01 PM (149 replies)
  • Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Thu, Mar 26 2015 3:23 PM

Played the android mobile version a couple of times albeit just in single play.  Found it as smooth as silk.  For me though a pale imitation of sitting down for 9 holes at a PC with mouse one in hand, and beer in the other.  Goofin' off with a few friends I got to know through this in A/S with Skype / WGT chat is plain fun too.   

My strong feeling is that WGT has thrown every resource at the mobile to the detriment of the PC version.  If windows 8 is anything to go by that epic MS bloody nose, and subsequent regrouping with mouse again on the the front line says WGT should think hard, IMO.  Unlike MS the management of communication here is toilet of course.

Hopefully we also  have better to come - needs to and fast.  

• kingsric
    3 Posts
    Thu, Mar 26 2015 3:40 PM

is there something wrong with wgt. iam trying to jion a game and it says error. the tournament has ended. and i did not play in tournement

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Thu, Mar 26 2015 3:56 PM

I've been playing the Android app on my phone for the past few weeks and i gotta say it plays really well. In fact the meter is 10 times better on my phone than on my laptop. Which to be honest really annoys me. Surely it should be the other way around.

• Ianzzz
    6,345 Posts
    Thu, Mar 26 2015 4:02 PM

Reading FatDan's post was interesting - I did notice that there are now (or may have been for a while, who is to say) but venture capitalists ar only interested in one thing - profit. They will not be in the slightest bit concerned about any issues, since if they do not fix them over many hours , that is a cost saved and the money will still roll in. Mobile (as I notice from Ipad anyway) seems to have many many more adverts/videos etc, for credits. Even the free videos are worth 2 where on here they are only 1. adverts is revenue and profit for the takers. Who are not really renowned for propping up failing businesses - See what CVC has done with F1 for instance.

I would say they will keep it going here until the profits from mobile overtake profit on here and then either the shutters will go up or it will be stripped of all usefulness.

Do you really think they are interested in the members who post - they will probably be higher tiers with all the equipment they could ever want and can make enough in games to play for balls (if careful or not playing umpteen games a day). Why else is there no replies anymore. The mods have probably been informed how things are - and (I do not blame them for this) take their pay cheque and toe the line of the paymasters and do not get involved.

Such a waste but it seems the way of the world - they take their money and the rest can go to hell in a handcart...........

Ian

• tiger319
    1,186 Posts
    Thu, Mar 26 2015 4:03 PM

victorharbor:

Let's be honest, few us are enjoying  WGT the way it plays now.

Will it shut down? Yes, I think it will.

One day I'll go to log on and it will be closed due to frost - permanently.

It's only a matter of time..  WGT put this game in the toilet, they're just not ready to flush the turd yet....

• Agassi1991
    777 Posts
    Thu, Mar 26 2015 4:11 PM

Hi

Maybe you right about WGT, but I still think it is the best virtual golf game I have ever played :-)

I hope WGT will go on for a long time,  

Agassi1991

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Thu, Mar 26 2015 4:33 PM

Games on phones are sh!te, candy crush and other bollox is all they good for. IMO of course

• stevepsheehan
    2,791 Posts
    Thu, Mar 26 2015 4:38 PM

Is there anyone here with sufficient business knowledge to create some sort of consortium, so that we could all band together and buy the PC game from WGT?

Then WE could run it how WE want it ;-)

OK, pipe dreams, but what if... ?

• Ianzzz
    6,345 Posts
    Thu, Mar 26 2015 4:43 PM

stevepsheehan:

Is there anyone here with sufficient business knowledge to create some sort of consortium, so that we could all band together and buy the PC game from WGT?

Then WE could run it how WE want it ;-)

OK, pipe dreams, but what if... ?

While there is money being made, they will not let go - only when it is worth nought will they try to off load it

• bhoese
    679 Posts
    Thu, Mar 26 2015 7:54 PM

Ianzzz:

While there is money being made, they will not let go - only when it is worth nought will they try to off load it

It might be quite the opposite, as is often the case when capital is raised for a start-up.  If WGT becomes valuable enough, the investors will want their return, which can only be realized through a sale.

For me, that sale can't come soon enough.  WGT has a great golf game, but they are lousy business people.  One quote in fatdan's post struck me as an especially ridiculous bit of lip service:  “As a company we take a methodical, thorough and long term strategy to do things the right way."

I hate to think about how many potential long-term customers have left over the years that would have stuck around if WGT was really taking a long view -  If they were planning on selling a million sleeves of 200 credit balls a month instead of a thousand sleeves of 700 credit balls.  If they didn't take the quick profit off of a ball in the weeds at the expense of building ill will.  If they had reliable servers.  If they didn't dump big money into marketing when the site was in meltdown mode.  If they didn't place the best equipment years away from a average daily player.  What kind of business refuses to sell its best product to the vast majority of its customers?  

Lots of other good stuff in this thread, much  of it has crossed my mind lately.

To the OP's question - I agree with YankeeJim.  The site goes to hell every winter.  I asked the same question as the OP in PMs to friends each of the past two years.  Now I know better.

The competition - There really is none.  I completely disagree with anybody who thinks that the other available games are for "golfers" while WGT is for "gamers".  That's absurd.  The opposite is true.

If you can't run those other games on your machine (and most of us can't run them well, if at all) all you have to do is look at the Perfect Golf forum and see how many of their users have their gaming-machine specs in their sig lines.  It's Gamer City over there.  And yes, you need to do some basic math to be good at that game, too.  

WGT, in contrast, appeals to the broadest possible audience...golfers, lawyers, delivery drivers, kids, old folks...it's accessible to just about anybody, and it still looks and plays better than the others.

The mobile game versus Flash - I'm all for WGT devoting resources to mobile.  It's the future, and there's no denying it.  And it still might prove to be a good thing for PC players.  I wrote in another post in February: "We now know that WGT can use it's assets (photos, terrain, physics) on another platform.  The mobile game feels different, but it's all on the surface really.  The clubs, balls, wind, and greens all behave exactly the same on Android.  The really good news is that they should be able to transition away from Flash gradually - that is, they can build on Unity (or something else), then roll out an improved game on a platform with a future", all without disrupting the user experience.

If WGT chooses to focus on mobile versions, there's always a workaround for PC users.  BlueStacks lets you play Android games on a PC.  For anybody who hasn't seen the mobile version yet, here's me playing a few holes on my computer...

RSS