Forums

Help › Forums

Tough-It-Out VT March event: Kiawah

Sat, Apr 4 2015 12:18 AM (134 replies)
  • fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Fri, Mar 20 2015 2:26 PM

I haven't been following this starters lark for long, but that's the best round I've seen by a mile!! Excellent.

Do these kind of scores crop up much? 

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Fri, Mar 20 2015 6:44 PM

fmagnets:

I haven't been following this starters lark for long, but that's the best round I've seen by a mile!! Excellent.

Corwyn and I have been on the UEL from day one. His score is about as good as could  possibly be played on that course under those conditions. Stunning and fantastic!!!

• mmyers0
    478 Posts
    Fri, Mar 20 2015 7:37 PM

That's amazing. I have no words.

• Daskino
    2,781 Posts
    Sat, Mar 21 2015 8:17 AM

Corwyn:
    Well, I was joking... but I've just gone out and shot what is probably my best Tough-It-Out round ever, and a strong candidate for my most challenging, and satisfying, round ever played on WGT.

Hats off, Corwyn. A quite impressive (well, let's say amazing) round.

• ColumbusStorm
    3,417 Posts
    Sat, Mar 21 2015 11:40 AM

Corwyn:
    I've just gone out and shot what is probably my best Tough-It-Out round ever

Wonderful round Corwyn, congratulations!

How long (elapsed time) did it take you to play/complete that round?

• ab1983
    115 Posts
    Sat, Mar 21 2015 8:39 PM

i just finished my second round another 73 which only came from a lot of  lucky putts  (will post my stats in a bit)  and i have to say  that corwyn ur 65 is mega sick  and you should have to retire now!!   

well done

• GolferDadRB
    1,079 Posts
    Sat, Mar 21 2015 9:36 PM

Terrific round Corwyn!

Nothing much here...

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sat, Mar 21 2015 11:17 PM

Thanks everyone! Definitely a very special round. I'm even feeling better about that dumb mistake on #16 now (though it sure would have been nice to be bogey-free).

fmagnets:

As Cerino says, I think going this low with starter unevens is pretty rare. If you follow the links in the opening post to prior TIO competitions, the best scores I can see there were Hans' -3 at RSG in TIO I (Med tees, Fast greens, Mod wind)*, and what was generally considered to be the finest round in TIO to date, Hans' -4 at Oly in TIO II (which was Easy tees, VFast greens, Low wind). I had the low round in TIO III: a -3 at Merion Med tees, Fast greens, Mod wind).

*Edit: The 67s by Jeremy and Shankette in R1 of last month's Feb event @ RSG were actually in tougher conditions than Hans' (Med tees, Champ greens, High wind), and on our bumpiest course. Definitely among the most impressive ever posted. As was Razza's -3 from the Hard tees in R1 of this event. Anything under par is a fine achievement in TIO!

So, on paper, this was probably better than all of those... But that said, Kiawah is such a lottery on the greens that a lot of luck is needed. I got some pretty good winds, and for the most part my course management choices worked out well (if you read the round description, you'll see I often choked the drive off the tee in order to try and avoid a downhill 2nd for instance. From the Medium tees, you can do that and still have 3H or 3W 2nds.)

ColumbusStorm:
    Wonderful round Corwyn, congratulations!

How long (elapsed time) did it take you play you complete that round?

Well, that sure is a good question, Russ, lol!

Just like you, I really enjoy this format. It forces such considered shotmaking that I do take my time. I think between having a quick warm-up and saving the card, I was out on the course for 2-2.25hrs all told. Part of that was keeping a log in a text doc as I went along, including copying all the replay urls, so that slowed things down somewhat, and I was interrupted by a couple of phone calls. Maybe 1.75hrs playing time? 

• wrinkles
    561 Posts
    Sun, Mar 22 2015 4:01 AM

Thanks again Corwyn for the tournament.

I had fun and learned something along the way......

That no matter the cost of balls or putters, whether the lie is even or uneven...I still can't putt.

• nochaser
    239 Posts
    Sun, Mar 22 2015 7:38 AM

Very disappointed after my 1st round but I sure did enjoy the format. Thanks CORWYN! And spectacular round!!

RSS