Forums

Help › Forums

The Ashes

Fri, Jan 7 2011 10:59 AM (27 replies)
  • bluescouse
    1,185 Posts
    Thu, Dec 2 2010 11:51 PM

If someone had offered me Australia 245 all out last night having won the toss I'd have snatched it with both hands. However, after the brilliant start England made I was slightly disappointed this morning.

This was tempered though by the news that the lovely Ricky Ponting went for a duck!

Sweet.

Sean

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Dec 3 2010 5:27 AM

Now I know how Faterson feels when we talk about baseball.  :-(

• Boodlehinge
    2 Posts
    Fri, Dec 3 2010 10:47 AM

bluescouse:

If someone had offered me Australia 245 all out last night having won the toss I'd have snatched it with both hands. However, after the brilliant start England made I was slightly disappointed this morning.

This was tempered though by the news that the lovely Ricky Ponting went for a duck!

Sweet.

Sean

HOW ON EARTH DID ENGLAND END UP BOWLING OUT AUSTRALIA FOR 245 AFTER HAVING 2-3?! England need to start capitalising their finishing off of matches. Anyways, it's a gr8 total at Adelaide. Pretty tense in the 1 over though!

Keep it in the short stuff

Boodle

• bluescouse
    1,185 Posts
    Sat, Dec 4 2010 12:18 AM

It just keeps getting better!

My original post here exactly a week ago saw me in the depths of despair, but it's amazing how things can turn around so quickly.

It looks at the moment like we're going to build a sizeable first innings lead, largely thanks to the invincible Alistair Cook and lovely knocks from Trott and Pieterson, and Australia are looking as ragged and clueless as I've ever seen them. We just seem to be stronger and much more confident in every department at the moment, and if we can capitalise on this position it will set us up nicely for the rest of the series.

I'm not counting my chickens just yet (I'm an eternal pessimist, and you write the Aussies off at your peril), but this is looking like it could be an historic tour from an English perspective. 

Here's hoping.

Sean

• nickuk
    967 Posts
    Sun, Dec 5 2010 2:29 AM

551-4 what a score!!! unfortunately it looks like the antipodean weather is gonna take a turn for the worse and save the aussie`s a$$es. shame!

• PeterHopper
    1,315 Posts
    Sun, Dec 5 2010 6:41 PM

Looking like a draw now.

• bluescouse
    1,185 Posts
    Mon, Dec 6 2010 11:30 PM

Brilliant win by England in the end and my sleepless night worrying about the weather in Australia turned out to be needless. It's not often that we are in such a strong position that the Aussies are praying for rain to save them on the last day of a test match!

Ashes series are frequently defined by a single day's play, and I think Englands response to an awful start on day four of the first test will probably prove to be the pivotal passage of play in this series.

Broad will be a big miss for the rest of the tour, but we look so much better than Australia in this series that we really should go on to win it comfortably.

However, I am an eternal pessimist as you already know, so I won't be gloating just yet.

I'll savour this one though.

Sean

• nickuk
    967 Posts
    Tue, Dec 7 2010 4:16 AM

well played lads....aussie`s collapsed like the proverbial house of cards....great pressure from the bowlers and some great spin from swanny.(and the batting of course)                    Feel sorry for broad but we have replacements.....gonna be hard to lose it from here, given the australians need to win the series!

and for the non-cricketing countries out there...this is what its all about!

over 100 years of history right there!

• bluescouse
    1,185 Posts
    Fri, Dec 17 2010 5:18 AM

Third Test, Stumps Day 2:

I hate the WACA - we always lose there.

Got off to a fabulous start as well, but since tea yesterday it's been all Australia, from the wagging tail last night, to the bowling display today. Awful stuff by England.

I'm depressed again!

Sean 

• billyeva
    57 Posts
    Fri, Dec 17 2010 9:04 AM

yep the Aussies have got the momentum now but loving ponting (a walking wicket) i think the best we can hope for here is a draw, broad will be a massive miss. I just don't rate Finn i think he needs more experience he's bowling far too short.

Billyeva

RSS