Help › Forums

Bandon Dunes launched

Thu, Dec 18 2014 2:31 PM (49 replies)
  • alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Thu, Dec 11 2014 11:16 AM

PurpleRain9017:
    Alot of player's are going to be dissapointed about Dunes par3's only 

Conversely there will be a lot of players who are very happy to get some variation.

Personally I will probably never play this as I refuse to play Par 3 courses as they count towards your stats....and I am not a stat watcher, just refuse on principle.

Cost vs Income will be interesting, as the novelty factor will probably wear off quickly, especially for the more established players. Usually the new full stroke play courses are in conjunction with a major when players grind out a ton of rounds to qualify.........easy way to quickly recoup a lot of those development costs.

As for the course I can't comment, but many seem to like it so well done WGT...and they say beggars can't be choosers.

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Thu, Dec 11 2014 11:28 AM

Lovely course, but HATE par 3 courses. Maybe OK as a variation for Alt Shot games...otherwise could not care less...

• niqueclyde
    20 Posts
    Thu, Dec 11 2014 11:28 AM

same here refuse on same principle...

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Dec 11 2014 12:05 PM

skccvb:
    Maybe OK as a variation for Alt Shot games.

Should be a hoot for awhile given nobody knows it yet.  :-)

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Thu, Dec 11 2014 12:16 PM

If ya like it, play it. If ya don't, then don't. I see par 3 courses as ball grabbers. I don't like my balls grabbed. Just a personal thing, or thingy as Miffy would say.

• Cleworthy
    3,466 Posts
    Thu, Dec 11 2014 1:44 PM

So what's next? - Best of Putt Putt courses?  Execution of this course is wonderful but WGT seems to have lost it's way.  I remember when you played WGT so you could compete on the most famous courses in the world - that would be actual Par 72 courses.  Saint Andrews, Kiawah - what a fantastic start to a wonderful game.   I remember when we saw 2 new, par 72 courses per year.  I remember when WGT had commitments from the European Tour for new Open courses.  While, again, this is a beautiful execution, it seems like another slide down a slippery slope to Mario Brothers golf.  This is NOT what WGT started out as and for many of us, I suspect, it is not what we are shelling our money out for.  Cleworthy

PS Yes, I will continue to play, always hoping for the best.  :-)

• largemouth51
    1,212 Posts
    Thu, Dec 11 2014 2:15 PM

I was disappointed because I was expecting Pebble beach.

HO

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Thu, Dec 11 2014 2:42 PM

I like it. Certainly is a challenge and the greens are great.

I think this could be the start of a good partnership with Bandon Dunes and maybe further down the line we'll get other courses from them.

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Thu, Dec 11 2014 3:02 PM

DAZZA501:

I think this could be the start of a good partnership with Bandon Dunes and maybe further down the line we'll get other courses from them.

I think that would be nice.

I just played and it was a hoot.

Lots of elevation change, undulations on the greens, and the wind just added to the challenge. Learning the greens will be a key to a low score.

I won't play it often, but I will play it again, if for no other reason than it's a quick way to get in 18 holes.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Thu, Dec 11 2014 3:02 PM

The difficulty of the Dunes makes up for the fact it isn't a full stroke play course.

I also noticed there was a lot of high camera views on tee shots.

The course looks great. Nothing beats those HD photos.

RSS