Forums

Help › Forums

Uneven Lies Ryder Cup @ Olympic: Jan2015: Qualification Thread

Thu, Jan 8 2015 8:33 AM (28 replies)
  • Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Wed, Dec 31 2014 7:37 AM

Corwyn:
    Analysis, written explanation etc to follow asap...

UEL Ryder Cup @ Olympic :: Final Team Standings:  after week 52 tourney at Oakmont

see post above for explanation of how these spreadsheets work

Below are updated sheets for each Team's qualification status following wk52 results at Oakmont in the UEL Fall Tour. Please check that everything is correct. Note: to be a part of this qualification process you just had to play the weekly UEL single-play tourney (and shoot par or better, or finish with a credit prize), and then indicate your intent to try and make whichever team.

Click on images below to go straight to respective spreadsheets, or right-click images below to open in new tab, and zoom in to see full size ....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE NOTE: the credit allocations for wk52 are estimates at this stage, and thus the standings involving credits are all provisional. Given the holidays, it seemed unlikely that WGT would get to closing out this tourney soon enough to help us know quickly what the final Tour standings were, hence I have estimated the likely credit disbursement based on the payout rules in the FAQ.

Team USA: qualification standings after wk52 tourney

Just as at Pinehurst in the last RC, bhoese and mmyers0 secure their slots on the USA team by virtue of being the leading players from their country in the TL and L tier credit standings respectively...

... although, interesting fact this time around (and a clear psychological advantage to the ROW team, lol), not one Team US player in TL or L tier had a weekly win in the Fall Tour!

The next 4 spots go to the next best placed players in the combined best 9 finishes in the credit standings: ColumbusStorm (US team captain)BigKnight, GolferDadRB and KyRock75 fill those positions.

The final 3 spots go to the next best placed players in the combined best 9 scores relative to par standings: they are Wesdogg75DaveDwingdale, and CerinoDevoti.

The USA team is made up of these 7 TLs and 2 L players, with 3 captain's picks to be made closer to the event (one of which is reserved for WGTicon, who will play as Iconian).

On the US side, players unlucky to miss automatic qualification include thunder6255 who challenged mm for the L credit winner place, and was only 134cr behind a place in the best9 credits standings too. And even closer to making the team was devonnnn, who was just 2 strokes short of Cerino's -55 total for the last place via the best 9 relative to par route.

Team ROW: qualification standings after wk52 tourney

fmagnets and JoeMaverick secure their slots on the ROW team by virtue of being the leading players in the TL and L tier credit standings respectively (indeed, they both won their Tours. Congrats!). Mags had a huge 774cr margin over next placed player Konrad, while Joe was clear of Corwyn in 2nd by 130cr, with emmalinks just another 48cr further back.

The next 4 spots go to the next best placed players in the combined best 9 finishes in the credit standings: KonradOseFairwayRuepel68johehejo, and emmalinks fill those positions. Again Corwyn was just short of a place via this route: emma's best finishes gave her a 39cr lead.

The final 4 spots go to the next best placed players in the combined best 9 scores relative to par standings: they are Saurabh08, Daskino, Priestess, and Wontonamo. And once again, Corwyn was the next in line, just 4 strokes short of Wontonamo's -85.

The ROW team is made up of these 8 TL and 2 L players, with 2 captain's picks to be made closer to the event.

The ROW team qualification was especially hard-fought, with many outstanding players not far back from automatic qualification. And it was great to see some new names battling it out for RC places as well: e.g. DodgyPutter, Tgkomv, sprntrl7. lisalovesthesun, who started the tour so strong, and has yet to make the RC team, also came close to qualification. Several RC veterans such as LOLserver (who had several good finishes), jsweetcr, MainzMan, Dazza501 will be reliant on a captain's pick.

And, as for yours truly, I didn't think it possible for one player to end up so close to qualification and miss out, given the varied way in which places were available, so it's ironic that the test-case for that was myself, lol! I finished one place back in all 3 categories, and may have only needed one shot better in any of half a dozen of the weekly tourneys to have made the difference. I too am now dependent on a captain's pick...

With the certainty that alternates will be needed, ROW players that missed out should keep in touch with this thread and be ready for a call if needed!

--------------------------------------------------

Thank you everyone for your participation in the UEL Fall Tour and for battling away for Ryder Cup qualification.

Congratulations to all those who made automatic team selection, and commiserations to those that fell short.

Please look out for a separate thread with further tourney information in the next few days, including a Time Availability signup form. The UEL Ryder Cup @ Olympic is scheduled to begin mid-late January:

Here are the event dates:

wk1 series :: Fourball :: Sat 1/17 thru Mon 1/26

wk2 series :: Foursomes (Alt Shot) :: Mon 1/26 thru Mon 2/2

wk3 series :: Singles ::  Mon 2/2 thru Mon 2/9

The countdown begins... I believe Olympic is one of our finest UEL courses: it should be a cracking event!

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Wed, Dec 31 2014 9:13 AM

Great job with the charts and Team info Corwyn!!!

FYI to the USA Team

I can't commit to play the UEL Ryder this time. I want Devon to move into my spot. Great play to all and good luck in the matches.

~CD~

• mmyers0
    478 Posts
    Wed, Dec 31 2014 6:45 PM

The ROW team had the top 8 overall finishers in the Fall tour, and 11 of the top 12 if I read right. But Team USA came into the last cup as underdogs so I'm not too worried yet.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Wed, Dec 31 2014 10:34 PM

Oh Cerino! I am so sorry to hear that. After you'd earned your spot in such a close run-thing as well. And the event's on one of your favorite courses... :(

I hope you're not still suffering from impossible-meter syndrome... ?

Corwyn:
    The UEL Ryder Cup @ Olympic is scheduled to begin mid-late January:

I've just been reminded of the delay to the Country Club Grand Prix Tournament (which I understand got set back due to the Christmas holidays) and that a number of players in the Ryder Cup are likely to also be involved in that event.

Therefore, I am going to make a quick amendment to the dates, and push the UEL Ryder Cup back one week to help minimize this overlap.

The new dates for the UEL Ryder Cup @ Olympic are:

wk1 series :: Fourball :: Sat 1/24 thru Mon 2/2

wk2 series :: Foursomes (Alt Shot) :: Mon 2/2 thru Mon 2/9

wk3 series :: Singles ::  Mon 2/9 thru Mon 2/16

• devonnnnn
    1,085 Posts
    Thu, Jan 1 2015 7:02 AM

Corwyn:

Oh Cerino! I am so sorry to hear that. After you'd earned your spot in such a close run-thing as well. And the event's on one of your favorite courses... :(

I hope you're not still suffering from impossible-meter syndrome... ?

Corwyn:
    The UEL Ryder Cup @ Olympic is scheduled to begin mid-late January:

I've just been reminded of the delay to the Country Club Grand Prix Tournament (which I understand got set back due to the Christmas holidays) and that a number of players in the Ryder Cup are likely to also be involved in that event.

Therefore, I am going to make a quick amendment to the dates, and push the UEL Ryder Cup back one week to help minimize this overlap.

The new dates for the UEL Ryder Cup @ Olympic are:

wk1 series :: Fourball :: Sat 1/24 thru Mon 2/2

wk2 series :: Foursomes (Alt Shot) :: Mon 2/2 thru Mon 2/9

wk3 series :: Singles ::  Mon 2/9 thru Mon 2/16

That's what I said too him. He deserved that spot so much but insists I play. If he does change his mind he is more than willing too take his spot back. Also thanks for the updates of the times, hopefully wont be as busy as work around those times.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Thu, Jan 1 2015 5:31 PM

devonnnnn:

That's what I said too him. He deserved that spot so much but insists I play. If he does change his mind he is more than willing too take his spot back. Also thanks for the updates of the times, hopefully wont be as busy as work around those times.

Don't worry about it Devon. Play and enjoy it. I've been having computer problems relating to WGT that I just can't seem to fix. I don't want to use up a spot and then not be able to complete rounds.

~CD~

• emmalinks
    219 Posts
    Sat, Jan 3 2015 7:34 AM

Corwyn:
    emma's best finishes gave her a 39cr lead.

I didn't think I'd make it, went on holiday for 2 weeks and left the lappy at home.

Thank you for organizing another great UL tourney Corwyn.

Em

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sat, Jan 3 2015 7:40 AM

Hi Em,

Congrats on such a strong Tour, and on making the UEL RC ROW Team. It sure was a close race! Also, Em, do let us know about your sleeve choice for your prize (see post here)

--------------------------------------------------------

BTW everyone: I've just posted the official thread for the UEL Ryder Cup, which includes the Time Availability sign-up form for participating players (please fill out the form by Mon 1/12).

Please find the thread here, and the sign-up form here.

Corwyn

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Thu, Jan 8 2015 8:33 AM

Corwyn:
    PLEASE NOTE: the credit allocations for wk52 are estimates at this stage, and thus the standings involving credits are all provisional. Given the holidays, it seemed unlikely that WGT would get to closing out this tourney soon enough to help us know quickly what the final Tour standings were, hence I have estimated the likely credit disbursement based on the payout rules in the FAQ.

WGT caught up with the wk52 payout a day or so back, and I've just had a chance to check whether my estimates at the time were accurate. They were spot on for Legend tier, but a tiny bit off for Tour Legend tier.

The differences have no effect at all on the position of any players in the standings... but I thought the final Tour qualification should be accurate... to satisfy the pedantic among us!

The spreadsheet has now been updated, and here are the revised and final standings in pictorial form:

Team USA: qualification standings after wk52 tourney

Team ROW: qualification standings after wk52 tourney

RSS