Forums

Help › Forums

UEL Tour: Fall 2014 edition

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jan 8 2015 7:37 AM (111 replies)
  • Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, Oct 6 2014 10:33 AM

Following considerable interest in the Spring edition of the UEL Tour (which also served as qualifying for the current UEL Ryder Cup), please note there will now be a Fall 2014 UEL Tour starting today!

This will run Monday, October 6th, beginning with the wk41 tourney, for 12 weeks (up to and including wk52, the end of the year).

To be a part of the Tour, you just need to play the free weekly UEL single-play tourney.

Some context:

In mid-December 2013, WGT introduced free weekly UEL singles tourneys. Since then, there's been an UEL single every week, covering almost the full rotation of courses. 

To help encourage newer players to give Uneven Lies a go, and as an incentive for those who already love the format, I decided it might be fun to create a Tour from these tourneys.

The initial, test, Winter Tour 2013 results are here for anyone interested.

The Spring 2014 UEL Tour results are here.

This Fall edition will also be the basis for qualification for a 3rd UEL Ryder Cup, or similar type event for UEL afficionados, to be held in the new year.

Once again, we hope to attract the very best UEL players in the game to that event, so please do your best in these weekly UEL singles events to try and qualify. Full details on team qualification will be noted in a dedicated thread in the Community-Organized Events forum. Please note that you will need to indicate your interest in trying to qualify, so please look out for that thread.

I am aware that the prize-pool for these free weekly singles tourneys is low, and may not be enough to entice top players to play, if concerned about covering ball costs. But I'm also hoping that the possibility of participation in a high-level UEL event will be a strong incentive to take part.

The Fall UEL Tour Standings spreadsheet:

Scores and credits, etc, will accumulate in this spreadsheet. I'll post sample images below once we have some data after the first week's tourney.

Thanks, Corwyn

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, Oct 6 2014 10:33 AM

<reserved for explanatory notes: note these are copied from the Spring Tour>

Notes on the sheets:

1. Tiers

I've only included Tour Legend and Legend tiers for now. If there is a strong demand to include Tour Master, Master, etc, please let me know (and I'll consider if I can add that to the workload). 

2. Criteria for Score Inclusion

I had to set a limit somewhere, so decided to set these criteria: any score that earns credits (i.e. top 70 finish), or a score of par or better, will be included each week. In our first Tour, in practice this meant every TL score in every tourney was included, and typically 2-3 pages of the L leaderboard was included.

3. Course Conditions:

Throughout the Winter Tour conditions were consistent, with TLs having Low wind conditions for most of the tour (but with their typical Champ greens), while Legends had Moderate wind and Tourney greens. This somewhat balanced itself out, making the comparative Score relative to Par potentially our best combined standings option.

4. Updates

I will update the Standings spreadsheet twice-weekly: 1. On Mondays with final scores from the prior week's tourney. 2. On Tuesdays/Wednesdays, once WGT have completed their score validation, and credit prize-giving.

Thus, the sheet will always be 'in progress'.

5. Workings:

If anyone wants to know how the sheet works, either let me know, or see the Winter Tour edition, where I left visible the background workings of the sheets, for transparency. Please note that I'd also welcome hearing about any errors if you come across them. I'm hoping this can be useful as a template for anyone trying to set up tour events themselves, or in their cc (and I'm available to help do that in exchange for balls, if anyone needs that service).

The Sheets themselves:

Structure:

The spreadsheet has tabs at the bottom that you use to navigate.

There are several color-coded sections:

a) TL standings: 

• in cumulative Credits won;
    • Points earned (using the same simple model as used in prior WGT Ryder Cup events [30 pts for a win, dropping by a point for each place below that];
    • ongoing Average (with requirement of at least 4 rounds);
    • cumulative amount Relative to Par;
    • and an alphabetically-organized Placings sheet (so you can find yourself in the list and see where you've finished across each tourney).

Those sheets are repeated for b) Legend Tier….

Cross-Tier Comparison:

… and then c) there are a few experimental sheets attempting to get a meaningful comparison across the TL and L tiers, with combined credit standings as one version, and score relative to par as another (including versions that take each player's best 9 scores). A case could also be made for preferring the credit standings as it gives more weight to top finishers...

Obviously, no comparison system will be perfect, but I'd be interested to hear people's feedback and ideas.

Data Sheets:

After the Combined Standings sheets come the data…

d) Every week in the tour will have a Leaderboard sheet, including both the TL and L information, copied from the tourney leaderboards (and will include a live link to each of those WGT webpages at the top).

Finally, e) there are some admin sheets: an intermediate place to paste data from WGT, and Player List and Courses sheets, that the standings sheets pull from.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, Oct 6 2014 10:34 AM

<reserved for tour sponsorships>

Corwyn:
    News just in... KonradOse has very generously stepped forward and offered prize sponsorship for the Tour of 5,000cr.

That's fantastic Konrad! Thank you so much.

I'll put in 2,500cr myself to the prize pool.

Right now, I'm still hoping that WGT will see the benefit (and perhaps the chance to recover some much-needed community goodwill) in hosting and sponsoring prizes for a play-off event for the top finishers in the Tour.

If any other individual sponsors wish to step forward, please do. You can post here in the thread, or PM me if you'd rather do it privately. And let me know if you have a specific prize you want your credits or sleeves to go to.

Thank you so much to our generous sponsors!

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, Oct 6 2014 10:34 AM

<reserved for information/links to other thread for UEL event in the new year>

The UEL Ryder Cup @ Olympic is scheduled to begin mid-late January:

Here are the event dates:

wk1 series :: Fourball :: Sat 1/17 thru Mon 1/26

wk2 series :: Foursomes (Alt Shot) :: Mon 1/26 thru Mon 2/2

wk3 series :: Singles ::  Mon 2/2 thru Mon 2/9

• ColumbusStorm
    3,417 Posts
    Fri, Oct 10 2014 3:58 PM

bump

Yep, I missed it. Only found it via the link in the UEL Ryder Cup thread.

Need to bump it a few times.

I'm in! Again!

• mmyers0
    478 Posts
    Fri, Oct 10 2014 10:03 PM

Count me in, but announcing it on the day it starts isn't much warning. Maybe consider starting in earnest next week instead. Although that would end the series after week 1 2015, which would be quite untidy.

I may miss the first several weeks anyway due to outside circumstances.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Fri, Oct 10 2014 10:35 PM

I hear you, mm... but I did mention it further in advance elsewhere, and since it was announced on the first day of the weekly, it's really 7 days notice. In addition, it's only the best 9 scores/credits won that will count towards any team qualification for the next UEL event.

As you surmise, the calendar dictated that it had to start this week in order to finish with wk52.

I'm sorry you'll miss the first few weeks :(

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Fri, Oct 10 2014 11:43 PM

Yeah, the UEL circus rolls into town again.

• DaveDwingdale
    1,240 Posts
    Sat, Oct 11 2014 6:18 AM

So... Do we need to sign up someplace or are we automatically included by playing the weekly UEL tournament ?

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Sat, Oct 11 2014 7:01 AM

Just play the Weekly Single Play UEL Tourney and your name will be included.

RSS