1,882 Posts
    Thu, Nov 20 2014 1:03 PM

hpurey:
    Did someone mention Yellow?

Y e l l o w .

chrisironsbones:
    Why do people not want a challenge?

LOL CIB

Because they want those Eagles and Birds...Par isn't good enough.

• SamanthaWho
    3,403 Posts
    Thu, Nov 20 2014 1:21 PM

chrisironsbones:

Making it a par 5 would make it too easy...  Why do people not want a challenge?

I don't think anyone doesn't want challenging holes. #15 at Beth and #17 with the pin behind the bunker at St Andys are two of my favorite holes because they are challenging.

This hole is just stupid. The object of any hole is reach the green, 2 putts for par.

WGT knows they screwed this up, they even admitted it back in the original thread when the course first came out.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Thu, Nov 20 2014 9:17 PM
    Does it matter? It's the same for everyone. If all the holes were called par 3 it wouldn't alter anyone's score.
  • tigerfan1506
    3,193 Posts
    Thu, Nov 20 2014 10:07 PM

To people that actually play golf, and want to play the courses the way they were set up for tournaments, yah it does matter. The hole is unfair.

WGT's answer for making Masters and Tour Masters hit from a longer tee box than Champ tees on Beth #15 is...."thats the way it was set up in The US Open"....well this isn't the way it was set up at Pinehurst for the US Open.

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Fri, Nov 21 2014 11:24 AM

Spammage:

ApexPC:

The Wikipedia page for the 2013 US Open shows the hole distances for each of the 4 days of the tournamemnt.

The 2013 US Open was played at Merion.  The 2014 US Open Wiki page lists PH #2 hole 4 as a par 4 at 529.

Yep.

The 2013 US Open wiki page shows that each day at Merion each hole is a different distance, and the 2014 US Open page does not show each days different hole distances.

So the 2014 US Open page does not show if on one of the 4 days of the tournament the 4th hole was set up to play as a 565 yard par 4.

• WGTdbloshoe
    2,840 Posts
    Fri, Nov 21 2014 2:19 PM

A lot goes into deciding hole distances for each day of a tournament.  Before the tournament they decide on pin placements and tee placements.  However it can all change the week of or even the night before. If a hole is playing to easy or to hard they may change a lot about the hole even how much they water it.

We don't quite have that Luxury.  We are given a distance, that the US Open may of decided on months before, and that's the distance we put into the game.  If they then decide to change, we may not be given the heads up or the time to change it.

- WGTdbloshoe

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Fri, Nov 21 2014 3:11 PM

Excuse me, Shoe, it sounds like a weak excuse.

I know that you made the pics about a year before, but it's hard to believe that the 2014 set-up would not be known by that time. And why didn't you stick to a Par 5 when deciding to stick to the old 565 yds?

ApexPC:
    So the 2014 US Open page does not show if on one of the 4 days of the tournament the 4th hole was set up to play as a 565 yard par 4.

It didn't - I reported the four official lengths here from the live TV coverage, and they averaged to 522.5 yds.

Here's a Pinehurst table showing the 529 yds.

• ISH47
    1,963 Posts
    Fri, Nov 21 2014 3:28 PM

I think everyone just thinks there was a mistake made and that it should have been a par 5 at 565 yds. It's not that big a deal.. I usually just lay up and use a wedge to get it close enough for a tap in par. Going for the green is doable at times, with my clubs, but not worth the risk.

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Fri, Nov 21 2014 4:05 PM

ISH47:
    I usually just lay up and use a wedge to get it close enough for a tap in par.

Yep. Once I had a sizable tailwind, reached the green, and sank a 20 footer. - Only bird for me on that hole. 

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Nov 21 2014 4:43 PM

It's the make or break hole on that course. I don't think it should be made any easier.

Just saying, when playing in a comp and you birdie it, then you know that not many people will do the same.  Ya just have to worry about all the other holes then....lol

-Roger

RSS