Re: pinehurst 4th hole

Mon, Jul 7 2014 1:18 AM (67 replies)
  • LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Sun, Jun 15 2014 12:06 AM

alosso:

Soccer, who cares?

Golf...who cares?

The world Cup is here, plenty of great matches every single day :-)

Eric

ps. the champ smells like.... German ;-)

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Sun, Jun 15 2014 12:47 PM

No more soccer comment ;)

Now, data for the subject at hand is complete. The lengths played on hole #4 in this tournament are:

Thu, 1st round: 497 yds.
    Fri, 2nd round: 523 yds.
    Sat, Moving Day: 542 yds.
    Sun, final round: 528 yds.

Thus, the mean value is 522,5 yds, and the standard deviation is 18.8 yds.

Sorry <wg> to say, WGT: This is a clear result pro the first poster's 529 yds and against your indication of 565 yds.

Me thinks unchanged that you accidentially took the length of the previous years' Par5 set-up and mixed it with the new Par4 nomination.

Unfortunately, this appears to me to be the second manifest scorecard error after OLY#2.

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Mon, Jun 16 2014 2:36 AM

alosso:

No more soccer comment ;)

Now, data for the subject at hand is complete. The lengths played on hole #4 in this tournament are:

Thu, 1st round: 497 yds.
    Fri, 2nd round: 523 yds.
    Sat, Moving Day: 542 yds.
    Sun, final round: 528 yds.

Thus, the mean value is 522,5 yds, and the standard deviation is 18.8 yds.

Sorry <wg> to say, WGT: This is a clear result pro the first poster's 529 yds and against your indication of 565 yds.

Me thinks unchanged that you accidentially took the length of the previous years' Par5 set-up and mixed it with the new Par4 nomination.

Unfortunately, this appears to me to be the second manifest scorecard error after OLY#2.

It is clear WGT made a mistake when setting up the course and I do not believe WGT would do anything to change it, not because WGT does not want it, it is simply a tremendous hazard to do it, (technically).

So, lets say the hole will remain 565 yards in stroke & 568 yards in alternates....amen.

Eric

• cdefghi
    2,872 Posts
    Mon, Jun 16 2014 3:07 AM

LOLserver:
    So, lets say the hole will remain 565 yards in stroke & 568 yards in alternates....amen.

Sure would be nice if WGTAdmin would pipe in here and admit WGT got this one wrong, like he has in numerous other threads, when questioned of the validity of some things  at this site..  Hole #4 didn't come close to playing that distance set up as a par 4 this year, and was only played at those distances as a par 5, in years gone by.

It is what it is, but someone from WGT admitting a mistake happened here would be the "big boy" thing to do.

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Mon, Jun 16 2014 6:02 AM

This statement from 08-08 still stands,

WGTicon:

in this case though, I believe it's specifically how we have it setup. Same was for bp and other us open courses, where some normal par 5's become par 4's...

I believe this is right this time, but, I will check. also, us open may use all 4 pins, in real play, we can't... so we likely have longest pins shot to keep it harder...

-wgticon

more so this one (bolded by me). At least, a statement.

WGTicon:

hi guys,

we'll find out this weekend whether they will use 565 tee or not. as for our config, it'll stay the same,. so please direct all the hate towards me :)

-wgticon

• MartyFlanagan
    2,488 Posts
    Thu, Jun 19 2014 5:58 PM

they got the length wrong, hopefully the next course they make has no mistakes on the length of the hole or forgetting to photograph the new back tee

a better config would have been making the par 3 6th 240 like it played on one of the days and making the 4th a bit shorter to be able to reach with a 3iron.

its set in stone now so hopefully wgt learn from their mistakes

• tigerfan1506
    3,193 Posts
    Thu, Jun 19 2014 9:10 PM

Why cant it be changed? Make it at least realistic.

Legends and TLs hit from the same tee box as Masters and TMs. 535 yards.

I know there are some holes where Champion tees are closer than those used by Masters and TMs, BP #15 is one.

• MartyFlanagan
    2,488 Posts
    Sat, Jul 5 2014 12:54 AM

just a reminder WGT that when you are creating pebble beach that the 2nd hole is a par 4 and the tee is 502yds, make sure you make all holes on pebble beach from the correct tees

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Sat, Jul 5 2014 1:44 AM

@Marty: They must take into consideration the special set-up for the US-Open, but, has this been available for their preparatory work?

tigerfan1506:

Legends and TLs hit from the same tee box as Masters and TMs. 535 yards.

I know there are some holes where Champion tees are closer than those used by Masters and TMs, BP #15 is one.

Sorry, I overlooked this great proposal - would be perfect to settle the difference.

BPB#15 (and #1) is special - the USO set-up really was that short, at least on one day. A scorecard with that number may be found somewhere - in hindsight :)

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sat, Jul 5 2014 2:04 AM

Lets cut the rubbish shall we.  

The 4th hole will be a pretty easy Par 5 if it was one. Now it's a testing Par 4 that can be a Bird in good conditions.... this is off the Legends.

Off the shorter tee's it can be very easy... with the correct clubs

There are heaps of different holes in Wgt that are very hard to play....  do we complain about them.

Most of the holes on the Best of Hardest Par4 course comes to mind.

Get over it and move on Peeps :)

-Roger

RSS