Legend Tier - Par if your Lucky

rated by 0 users
Thu, Nov 4 2010 4:57 AM (40 replies)
  • Deccy180
    233 Posts
    Tue, Nov 2 2010 5:21 AM

back 9 round bethpage

10th Par 4 Driver & 3 Wood 40 yards short of green in reg

11th Par 4 Driver & 3 Iron into green, front left pin impossible to get close with 3I

12th Par 4 Driver (cant clear the bunker) & 3 Wood 30 yards short of green in reg

13th Par 5 Driver, 3 Wood & 6 Iron birdie chance

14th Par 3 5 iron birdie chance

15th Par 4 Driver & 3 Wood  20 yards short of green in regualtion

16th Par 4 Driver & 3 Wood just short, bounced on to fringe

17th Par 3 Hybrid at a hole a few feet on the green no chance of going close

18th Par 4 Driver & 5 Iron not much chance of going close

well this 9 holes was great fun and how much i enjoy playing as a legend if i ever shot under par with the clubs that are unlocked it will be a miracle

• iwb1
    110 Posts
    Tue, Nov 2 2010 6:30 AM

Don't give up Deccy check what Tibbets could do with tour starter clubs, standard ball and a driver that went 245 yards  

P.S  it's good to see PFC is still alive and that's coming from a Scummer

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Tue, Nov 2 2010 8:04 AM

iwb1,

Thanks for that classic video. I also qualifying for bp18 with those clubs and let me tell you, I felt as great about my 66 as I do about any score i ever shot. Having played with both avatar lee and tibbets hundreds of games together, I know just how good they were.

Yes, conditions are hard, but BP from black tees, is supposed to be hard!

-icon

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Tue, Nov 2 2010 8:11 AM

I moved this from other thread.

WOW!  That brings back some cool memories of last years U.S. Open conditions!!  Thanks for the flash back!  But there is something to be learned while you level up to get the better gear.  Play smarter golf. 

If on #10 you have no chance of making the green lay up and wedge it up.... you may get lucky. 

On #11 the front left pin should not be impossible to get up to... try maybe a little top spin to try to run it up that slope. 

#12 again if you can't clear the bunker it's a layup and  a pitch up to the pin.

#13 & #14 are the scoring holes... learn to play them and learn to play them well.

#15 GIR is impossible here.  Play smart and use the slope of the green to your advantage!  Par is a good score (=birdie) bogey is likely.

#16 Try playing around with the spin a bit here to get as much distance as possible, you should be able to get it on with a tail wind.

#17 Hard par 3 when the wind is with you... Par only option here unless you get a really really lucky bounce out of the front rough, but more likely you'll be pitching/flopping or chipping from the back or the bunkers.  With a head wind you can try to be a bit more aggressive and stick the shot leaving a 15-30 foot downhill putt from behind the pin... it's a gentle break, but it does move.

#18 Play to the center of the green, do not try to get cute.  The putt is hard but makeable from 30 feet left and short.

I think the best score you can hope for, if everything goes right is -3, but average it out to even par if you don't take any silly chances and your putting is solid.

I really have to stress that you need to be patient, and if you can do that you will become one of the better short game players in the game.  It will also help your putting tremendously.  There is a lot to be learned here and you will become a much much better player because of it.

Hope this helps, even just a little bit.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Tue, Nov 2 2010 8:12 AM

Deccy180:
    I currently use rapures

...They do not...take a look at the money list, not one legend (or player) on the top ten list uses raptures...

Deccy180:
    as these are best clubs avaliale to use that are unlocked

...Not True...As i said in one of the three other post you've made on this topic today...You can, as of today...get the G10 Driver @ 270 (+15 yds.), the G10 3W @ 235 (+5 yds.), one level from the G10 Irons (+ 10 yds on the 3 iron, and Higher trajectory), Not to mention the gain in precision from all these clubs is a huge help...and for pete's sake upgrade the putter man...you cannot and will not progress through the Legend teir with the beginner putter...i'm astonished at the fact that you actually made it there with it...The Legend G12-SD2 balls is probably another step in the right direction...

Deccy180:

so how do you legends hit scores of massively under par????

...So you have a choice to make...either pony up the dough and purchase new equipment...or give yourself far more time than a week to figure out the greens and new distances you have to contend with using your current equipment...it doesn't take a Legend to figure this out......Hours of practice and hundreds of rounds...again...common sense..

• Longwedge
    885 Posts
    Tue, Nov 2 2010 8:37 AM

This is also a delimma that I really don't know if I want to get myself into.  I have gotten a lot better in recent weeks and am starting to shoot much lower scores...32-34 on 9 holes and 65-67 on 18 hole games. My approach shots have become more accurate...usually within 5 yards, and my putting average is dropping down to about 1.6 putts per hole here recently.  I have started playing tourney greens every now and then to get acclimated to the speed while putting.

I currently have clubs that would in no way be available to me had I not bought them prior to the WGT change. By today's standards I would have to advance another 15 levels to get my current clubs.

If i don't go out and shoot the occasional 72 to keep my average up...I could easily make Master soon, and i'm not sure I want to do that until I get my Level up into the 60's...note I'm currently a 41.  I have no problem spending the bucks to buy the clubs...I just want to have the better clubs available to me so that I can purchase them as the game becomes more difficult.

What is your opinions on holding back your own advancement until you know you have the ability to purchas better clubs?

• BriRock
    148 Posts
    Tue, Nov 2 2010 8:43 AM

WGTicon:

Deccy180:
    I currently use rapures

...They do not...take a look at the money list, not one legend (or player) on the top ten list uses raptures...

Deccy180:
    as these are best clubs avaliale to use that are unlocked

...Not True...As i said in one of the three other post you've made on this topic today...You can, as of today...get the G10 Driver @ 270 (+15 yds.), the G10 3W @ 235 (+5 yds.), one level from the G10 Irons (+ 10 yds on the 3 iron, and Higher trajectory), Not to mention the gain in precision from all these clubs is a huge help...and for pete's sake upgrade the putter man...you cannot and will not progress through the Legend teir with the beginner putter...i'm astonished at the fact that you actually made it there with it...The Legend G12-SD2 balls is probably another step in the right direction...

Deccy180:

so how do you legends hit scores of massively under par????

...So you have a choice to make...either pony up the dough and purchase new equipment...or give yourself far more time than a week to figure out the greens and new distances you have to contend with using your current equipment...it doesn't take a Legend to figure this out......Hours of practice and hundreds of rounds...again...common sense..

ICON DID NOT MAKE THE ABOVE POST...I DID... AND HE/SHE COPIED IT FROM ANOTHER THREAD...NOT SURE IF IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE PUT UNDER HIS/HER NAME...BUT IT SOUNDS A LITTLE TOO DIRECT TO BE COMING FROM A WGT MOD...SO I FIGURED I WOULD  WRITE THIS AS TO NOT HAVE HIS/HER NAME SULLIED IN ANY WAY...IF ICON INTENDED IT TO SHOW UP AS HE/HER BEING THE ORIGINAL AUTHOR THEN HE/SHE CAN SIMPLY DELETE THIS POST.

• DaveHeathcote
    90 Posts
    Tue, Nov 2 2010 8:52 AM

Icon - we love you, great response!! (edit - credit where due to BriRock also for original post)

LongWedge - suggest you are an ideal candidate for the XP boost energy drinks as you seem happy to spend a bit of money to get where you want to go quicker. Also, with new 'Average Score' calculation your 'sandbagging' by posting the odd 72 will have no effect as it is not best 10 from last 14 anymore, it's best X scores shot in current tier (see 'New Average Scores' post).

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Tue, Nov 2 2010 8:53 AM

WGTicon:

...So you have a choice to make...either pony up the dough and purchase new equipment...

The above highlights exactly what the ongoing strategy is from WGT. Not content with players going from Raptures to G10s, the levelling system is designed to have players buying clubs, often just improved versions of the same model, all the way through the levels. WGT is dangling a carrot in front of players at every opportunity, a piece of forbidden fruit that promises better results.

Very clever of them from a business perspective but corporate greed of this nature sickens me. Were it the case that I had to continually transfer real cash into credits to play this game I would have chucked it by now. That not being the case I continue to play it.

However there can be few businesses around the world that offer an imperfect product such as this and continue to rake in thousands of dollars every day. WGT had better be very careful in the coming months. There is a fine line between keeping less than happy customers content and seeing them walk away altogether.

• Longwedge
    885 Posts
    Tue, Nov 2 2010 8:57 AM

Dave,

I agree...using the energy drinks as we speak...and the 72 every 3rd round or so is keeping my score up as I can see my score go up as a good one drops off.

RSS