Forums

Help › Forums

I'm not mad then!!!.

Wed, Jul 22 2015 9:31 AM (65 replies)
  • keidan
    311 Posts
    Tue, Oct 28 2014 6:06 PM

JFidanza:

But then the 1st putt's grid should look like the putt below's grid (on the right).

More so, if you were to hit the grid slope indicator icon (fig. 1 bottom right) the dots would move down to the hole. Then, at the same time and view, on the other side they would move in reverse toward the hole.

Not necessarily (for both of these statements).  If you look at Scott's diagram again, the highest point after passing the cup is still below the starting point of the putt.  So, relative to the 1st putt starting height, all points would show a down slope, even to the point that a change in color might not be observed.  It's all about how high the start of the putt is relative to the rest, and how gentle the opposite slope past the cup is .

After going past the hole, the colors will reset, and show a relative slope going in the other direction and with color changes.  This less severe slope in opposite direction could still be hidden by the image on the left (for the first putt).  And the vertical (up/down) slope indicator would also show dots moving in the same direction... only slightly slower.

-Keith

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Tue, Oct 28 2014 6:32 PM

keidan:

JFidanza:

But then the 1st putt's grid should look like the putt below's grid (on the right).

More so, if you were to hit the grid slope indicator icon (fig. 1 bottom right) the dots would move down to the hole. Then, at the same time and view, on the other side they would move in reverse toward the hole.

Not necessarily (for both of these statements).  If you look at Scott's diagram again, the highest point after passing the cup is still below the starting point of the putt.  So, relative to the 1st putt starting height, all points would show a down slope, even to the point that a change in color might not be observed.  It's all about how high the start of the putt is relative to the rest, and how gentle the opposite slope past the cup is .

After going past the hole, the colors will reset, and show a relative slope going in the other direction and with color changes.  This less severe slope in opposite direction could still be hidden by the image on the left (for the first putt).  And the vertical (up/down) slope indicator would also show dots moving in the same direction... only slightly slower.

-Keith

I don't see it so, meaning I've never seen the distance indicator go 'putt 10 feet down 6 inches' then move the pointer past the hole and the hole now says 'putt 12 feet down 4 inches' (saying that behind the hole it is going up, as Scott's diagram shows)

Now that I think about it, that might be confusing to someone lining up a putt and judging the amount of power. That's why I said I had an idea why the putts are rendered this way.

Think about the situation: e.g.  put the pointer 2 feet in front of the hole and lets say is says '8 feet down, 3 inches', then you go on the hole it says '10 feet, down 6 inches', then go past the hole 2 feet and the pointer says (similar to Scott's example) '12 feet, down 3 inches'.

If you have a video of example of the aim pointer demonstrating this occurrence, or anything similar, please share it. This would concur w/ Scott's diagram. IMO

Again, pointer distance and elevation:

a) 2 feet before hole: '8 feet, down 3 inches'

b) Over the hole '10 feet, down 6 inches'

c) 2 feet past '12 feet, down 3 inches'

In 'a' the putt is going down. In 'b' it's even lower. Then, if it is as you say, then past the hole 'c' would say something like a number higher than the elevation over the hole. Isn't that logical? What am I missing? Can you show an actual example?

Plus the grid slope indicator icon (fig. 1 bottom right) dots move as the slope is, meaning just as the left to right dots can move on an undulated green, sometimes R-to-L and also L-to-R at the same time, I'm sure everyone has seen this: Dots moving criss cross, both ways so the grid slope indicator icon (fig. 1 bottom right) should be the same, if the slope is going down the dots move down, and they do, but if it goes up in the back on the other side the dots would move the other way. Just as the dots on the horizontal grid behave, and why would it be different? Maybe there is a situation when they do. But I haven't seen it:

Grid slope indicator icon (fig. 1 bottom right) dots moving down toward the hole in the downhill putt, then moving the REVERSE way on the other side of the hole.

• KyRock75
    411 Posts
    Tue, Oct 28 2014 8:13 PM

This is what would happen to me if I thought about all the numbers and stuff while playing a round of WGT!

Rock

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Tue, Oct 28 2014 8:40 PM

KyRock75:

My head halfway through reading JF's post ^^^

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Tue, Oct 28 2014 8:59 PM

ok Paul's not used to discussing something in detail, so I'll make a pretty picture for those who still can't grasp it.

If you can show an example of the marker doing this, than the OP might be incorrect suggesting that the putting is unrealistic. But till then....

• keidan
    311 Posts
    Tue, Oct 28 2014 9:27 PM

The devil's in the details... not sure where you got distances and elevations from OP posts, but  here is a graphic to show what I was visualizing.  Apologies for graphics quality, I can't hold a candle to the talent around here :)

Anyway it's just an (exaggerated) illustration of a possibility to explain what is going on, given lower and lower elevation points before, at, and after the cup (a,b,c) .  May the OP can clarify the distances involved?  Again these are just fun guesses.

-Keith

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Wed, Oct 29 2014 4:25 AM

Kind of makes you think of those old stories of walking to school uphill both ways.  ;-)

I have had this once or twice in the last couple weeks, but can't remember which hole or course I was on.  Albeit was not very drastic, but since I like to drag my aim box/arrow from ball to past the cup to see the variances of elevation in my putt, I can understand the line and not question uphill or downhill from both sides  of the hole.

When the aimer is on the cup, it only shows the direct change in elevation compared to the hole and the ball, but that doesn't ever mean that it is an even elevation across the entire line of the putt.

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Wed, Oct 29 2014 7:31 AM

keidan:

The devil's in the details... not sure where you got distances and elevations from OP posts, but  here is a graphic to show what I was visualizing.  Apologies for graphics quality, I can't hold a candle to the talent around here :)

Anyway it's just an (exaggerated) illustration of a possibility to explain what is going on, given lower and lower elevation points before, at, and after the cup (a,b,c) .  May the OP can clarify the distances involved?  Again these are just fun guesses.

-Keith

No apologies required 'Keidan' ; as basic as the above may appear, for me, it illustrates perfectly what the OP may well have been seeing -  if nothing else it shows a possible scenario that could easily occur during a round.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Wed, Oct 29 2014 7:50 AM

JFidanza:

ok Paul's not used to discussing something in detail, so I'll make a pretty picture for those who still can't grasp it.

Now we're talking!!   ;)

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Thu, Oct 30 2014 12:16 AM

My diagram elevation numbers are simply theoretical, and it shows what the aim pointer would indicate if it was over those distances and elevations. It looks normal, right? If it's incorrect, tell me what's wrong.

(that example is only if we presume there is a downhill slope before and after the hole)

If you are suggesting that the hole is as you have shown in your drawing, lets find out what you would say the aim pointers elevation number is in the red question mark. '?'

If the hole is as you are stating is might be then the number, logically, has to be higher than the '-9' shown in fig. C, correct? If not, what is the number, and why and how can it be that number?

Now, these drawing are nice, but show me a video or example IN THE GAME itself where this is indicated as such. If you are correct then you should be able to record this instance and provide proof. Plus, it would have to be shown that beyond, to picture left, goes back down in elevation, again - as you are suggesting it is. Maybe it exists, but I've never seen it myself.

My belief is that the game simply renders a putt in a simplified manner and it's not based on the total fidelity of the hole's topography as when it is compared to the 2nd attempt. Ouch, I know.. but I'm GLAD IT'S LIKE THAT , personally.

RSS