Forums

Help › Forums

RYDER CUP 2014 AT GLENEAGLES

Mon, Oct 13 2014 9:38 PM (125 replies)
  • BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Mon, Sep 29 2014 4:12 PM

The Ryder Cup started as a competition between Great Brittain and U.S.. The United States won it most of the time for many years.

So they (Nicklaus and the Earl of Derby) decided to add these countrys to Great Brittain and Ireland,  Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and Sweden in 1979. This was to make it more competitive and less lop sided.

It looks like it worked! Although I suspect that if we had to face only Great Brittain and Ireland, we still would have gotten our asses handed to us. The way Justin Rose played? wow

So I propose we make the cup less lop sided and give us the  Aussies for our team, how's that sound?

• siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Mon, Sep 29 2014 4:18 PM

I am guessing that most of them are hoping for the euro team to win !

You can have the ....??? I am all out of those hoping the US would win.

• siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Mon, Sep 29 2014 4:25 PM

[.

• Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Mon, Sep 29 2014 5:35 PM

This was specially commissioned for Tom and Phil,  and It still ain't over.....

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Tue, Sep 30 2014 1:57 AM

BubbaCrusher007:

The Ryder Cup started as a competition between Great Brittain and U.S.. The United States won it most of the time for many years.

So they (Nicklaus and the Earl of Derby) decided to add these countrys to Great Brittain and Ireland,  Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and Sweden in 1979. This was to make it more competitive and less lop sided.

It looks like it worked! Although I suspect that if we had to face only Great Brittain and Ireland, we still would have gotten our asses handed to us. The way Justin Rose played? wow

So I propose we make the cup less lop sided and give us the  Aussies for our team, how's that sound?

I think Seve came onto the scene and might have swayed the decision makers to include Europe.

If anything, why not have Nth America and Sth America join up as a team.

Don't forget the Presidents Cup  ...Usa v Internationals 

Looking forward to the next Ryder Cup...  It's going to be a beauty!

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Tue, Sep 30 2014 2:43 AM

craigswan:

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/golf/9489502/ryder-cup-scotland-trivia#ooid=8zZWpwcDpf9FfIJNVCDCzA3DE-OiBBP6

Great video btw. In this very picture I thought it was Tom Watson blowing that thing..haha

Eric

• craigswan
    30,991 Posts
    Tue, Sep 30 2014 2:52 AM

So I propose we make the cup less lop sided and give us the Aussies for our team, how's that sound?

Can kylie minogue play golf .

Tie me kangaroo down sport .

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Tue, Sep 30 2014 3:11 AM

BubbaCrusher007:

The idea came, basically, because of the amount of people playing golf being the US a geographically huge area having millions of people playing golf, compare to Great Britain with much less people playing the sport. The US has probably still more people playing golf than the hole Europe together.

Missing Tiger in this cup for the US, things were certainly a little balanced towards Europe although not significantly.

To see Patrick Reed being so involved in his match results and so resoluted on winning them, and seeing Walker playing superb golf (in my opinion the best player of the Ryder Cup) it was a probe that players skills were balanced in both sides...Europeans were simply better at getting the best out of the situation.

Somehow the biggest golf event in the world should involve ALL countries and not only the Us & Europe....but that is unfortunately not possible even tho there are other competitions already mentioned involving several continents. The Ryder Cup is still the most important golf competition in the world.

Eric

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Tue, Sep 30 2014 3:21 AM

BubbaCrusher007:

Why not.

UK is about the size of Michigan so GB + Ireland was always going to be lop sided as things changed from the v early days.  Would need to be looked at more but Europe was heavy world rankings wise, and so the US were always the underdogs.  Throw a bit of a barbie and lots of the amber nectar they would be in I am sure.  Heck jump at it anyway.  See how a few other places would think they are missing out though, and with good reason, so in time??

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Tue, Sep 30 2014 5:30 AM

LOLserver:
    Missing Tiger in this cup for the US, things were certainly a little balanced towards Europe although not significantly.

Tiger's Ryder Cup record is truly awful, his inclusion would have seen an even bigger defeat for the States.

RSS