Forums

Help › Forums

RYDER CUP 2014 AT GLENEAGLES

Mon, Oct 13 2014 9:38 PM (125 replies)
  • JasonNumber100
    2,906 Posts
    Sun, Sep 28 2014 2:34 PM

Europe have won six of the last eight Ryder Cups. As for the conditions and types of courses, most of the European team play on the PGA Tour.

• Catesharkette2
    2,692 Posts
    Sun, Sep 28 2014 2:44 PM

awesome rydercup  enjoyed it  heres the  shot that clinched it  for the win x

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sun, Sep 28 2014 10:50 PM

alanti:
    As for the cup - a great win by Europe, a pity the way Phil showed his frustration and feelings at the end.

Feel that way too.  

Loads of respect for a superb career and fantastic gentlemen and ambassador for the game that is Tom Watson.  Everyone tweaks going forward, but Phil forgot that sometimes just got to take it on the chin that the players were outplayed, and he himself got smoked playing with Keegan.  Happens in sport.

Tom handled the "rant" brilliantly though, not biting, "He has a difference of opinion. That's OK. My management philosophy is different than his."

Now I would not like to be the second coming that some are saying Azinger would be, but he probably has way broader shoulders than me:).  Freddy must be in the hat huge anyway, and plenty time to contemplate anyway.

And the Scottish Tourist board are still having inappropriate dreams after that scenery extravaganza, lol.  Fantastic!

• Baldace
    3,254 Posts
    Mon, Sep 29 2014 12:52 AM

Jimbog1964:

alanti:
    As for the cup - a great win by Europe, a pity the way Phil showed his frustration and feelings at the end.

Feel that way too.  

Unfortunate timing, I think Mickelson has been a superb asset to golf over his career but Watson is a true Legend of the game and this stuff should have been kept behind closed doors.

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Mon, Sep 29 2014 2:22 AM

Is Mickelson right about Paul Azinger formula?, was Watson plan a bad one?, has Europe simply better players than the US at the moment?, etc,etc...... very complicated issue here and we could use thousands of post to discuss it to end up with nothing relevant.

To me, "Europeans golf players are better at fitting in new situations", whether is terrain (course), weather, time difference, crowds noises & reactions, new partner, new captains; mentality, language, golf background, views, etc. European players travel more and they have to deal, again with different cultures, etc...new environment....American simply don't do that and if so, it is seldom, like coming over to Europe to PERFORM, not only to perform but to perform your best under new everything.

Golf is very personal, but not when it comes to play as team, as a group with one goal altogether...europeans were better than the americans at that.

To me Bubba was a real example, amazing player, I really love him, very charming, very motivated in tee 1...but as soon as things were not working well, he was simply not able to overcome his bad golf and started to collapse easily, again, new course, new crowds, new grass, new moist (humidity), etc. He never felt "comfortable" when he suddenly was "under" in the score.

I had the feeling that the americans were at the Closing Ceremony a bit like; "what the hell, we lost so what?, this is not so important anyways, let's go back home & forget about it". Well, it was very important for the Europeans, not because of the win, because of the Ryder Cup was in play!!

.....I even myself (I'm all for europe) wanted the american players to win more single matches and was hoping some european players were missing fairways or putts....just to make it more "even" at the end. and see the american players more "motivated". 

Longing for Minnesota already and hoping the Ryder Cup is defined at the very last putt in hole 18 of the very last match!!!!!!

Eric 

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Mon, Sep 29 2014 2:37 AM

LOLserver:

DONE......EUROPE WINS!!!!

I haven't read all the thread and not sure if mentioned.  I think these 2 players were a real stand-out.

Congrats to the Europe Team. I expected the USA team to come back hard in the singles, but not to be.

Phil M,  my goodness. That type of stuff should have been kept in house I think. Something must have happened within the USA Team after the 1st day.  Then Phil missed the whole days play in the 2nd day. Then the press conference.  Hmmm, one can only wonder.

Still fantastic golf played by all and the crowds were great. Looking forward to watching the replay of the last day as I missed most of it.

-Roger

• FRANZINIPIERRE
    348 Posts
    Mon, Sep 29 2014 3:58 AM

What a great edition !

USA played well (look at the scores) but Europe was superb.

Did not understand how you can keep Mickelson out of the game on the second day...

Great games from mcdowell, dubuisson, poulter and donalson.

• craigswan
    30,991 Posts
    Mon, Sep 29 2014 1:39 PM

• craigswan
    30,991 Posts
    Mon, Sep 29 2014 1:45 PM

[View:http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/golf/9489502/ryder-cup-scotland-trivia#ooid=8zZWpwcDpf9FfIJNVCDCzA3DE-OiBBP6:450:350]

Can somebody make this video work . It,s funny .

• siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Mon, Sep 29 2014 1:48 PM

I see that Lee has not been holding back on the scotch again this year lol.

Some great play this year, being 3-4 down and keeping composure to come back and win or half , that was the key to the european win this year. 

Rory looked like a machine on the last day , feel sorry for Fowler , he is a great player.

Only downside was Phil at the media room, that was a low blow to Mr Watson.

Azinger might be a good captain, but he was up against Faldo.

Nicky seems to have lost it with his comments.

RSS