Tue, Sep 30 2014 12:14 PM (61 replies)
  • PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Mon, Sep 22 2014 6:56 AM

It's certainly not over...

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Mon, Sep 22 2014 7:09 AM

Not going to have 2+ years of debate in these forums about politics for sure.

However gentlemen remember the vote was lost for the NO camp after two whole years all cases stated...........Flimsy prospectus killed it as much as anything......Not the place to develop a debate especially after the chance came and went in a democratic vote.  

There has not yet been any time to say how the majority feel about "promises" being lived up to or not away from the passion bit of the yes camp which plain and simple lost.  

Sorry to say but it's true 2M Scottish residents said NO.

We had all the this v that v this v that v this graph v v this graph v who may vote yes / no along the way and both sides had their chances to target,  and now time to accept it was NO.  Yep terrible truth NO.   Move on.

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Mon, Sep 22 2014 8:01 AM

Isn't democracy a wonderful thing.

Perhaps a referendum should be held whereby those eligible are given the opportunity to cast a vote on how they feel. Oh, silly me - that's what's just taken place with the majority voting 'NO'.

What's Alex's next plan of action after doing a runner in the wake of losing the referendum, terrorism? culling pensioners? 

The majority of the people of Scotland have spoken. Alex wanted a vote, he got it, he lost. In future that may well change, if that's the case; so be it.

Now he should be focusing on what areas his own campaign let voters down instead of blaming all and sundry for it's failure.

Jimbog1964:
    and it was the UK so no terrible goings on we all appreciate

Right now I feel that we in Scotland are not too far away from going down the same route that blighted Northern Ireland when the modern day troubles began in earnest.

Salmond's rhetoric since abandoning ship about "grabbing independence" has only fuelled the fire.

So much for his 'One Scotland' speech after the official result was announced.

"No bombs, no bullets, one egg", someone posted on Twitter on Friday. "Well done Scotland."

I sincerely hope the above can still be said in years to come.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Mon, Sep 22 2014 12:25 PM

WigerToods2010:

"No bombs, no bullets, one egg, one tottie scone, 3 rashers bacon, one sausage, fried bread and beans", someone posted on Twitter on Friday. "Well done Scotland."

I sincerely hope the above can still be said in years to come.

Amen brother!

• craigswan
    31,005 Posts
    Mon, Sep 22 2014 1:06 PM

cheer up guys .

• craigswan
    31,005 Posts
    Mon, Sep 22 2014 1:07 PM

• craigswan
    31,005 Posts
    Mon, Sep 22 2014 1:30 PM

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Mon, Sep 22 2014 2:16 PM

@ PaulTon;

Ye wantin'  square sausage or yon golf course wans?

Praise the lard and pass the margarine, brother.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Mon, Sep 22 2014 4:56 PM

WigerToods2010:
    Ye wantin'  square sausage or yon golf course wans?

I'm for lorne, lol

• WoodenHands
    526 Posts
    Mon, Sep 22 2014 5:48 PM

DodgyPutter:

Woodenhands, I was born in St Andrews and although I moved aged four I have been back many times since.  I meant no offence to anyone and was, and am, of course generalising.  I’m sure many in Lamond Drive etc voted yes, but I’m equally sure the student vote made sure of a resounding no in the home of golf.  I do also know that all sorts of people voted yes, my wife is English and did and the SNP used to be known as the tartan tories. What I was trying to say was four councils voted yes to independence they were (Dundee City 57%, West Dunbartonshire 54%, Glasgow 53% and North Lanarkshire 51%) all areas of where a higher than average percentage of the population are on low income.

I agree with your last sentence and sort of hope the promises are broken.

As to over for a long time, I don’t think so.  Every election, UK and Scottish, is if not a referendum then close to one.  If the SNP get over 50% in any of these then they can certainly call one, and on the age figures all that is needed is to keep people voting the way did for a couple of years.  Make sure the 16/17yo’s don’t turn in to frightened 20yo’s and discuss the lies that were told on pensions so that those in their late 40’s and 50’s remember next time.

SNP membership was 25,642 on Thursday at 5pm.

Guardian 21/09/14: The SNP said its membership had leapt by more than a third, from 26,000 to 36,000 in the days after the referendum.

Now I’m finished, though a response to something could happen.

I knew what you meant really, was just trying to show that Yes voters were spread, though as you point out the majority were in what could be described as less affluent areas.

You're probably right about the student vote here too, not many Scottish accents amongst them. Funnily enough there are a lot of houses in Lamond Drive which are now student lets, so there would likely be quite a lot of No votes there.

As for the rest of your post , +1

RSS