Sun, Sep 21 2014 8:21 PM

tamjag:

it'll be YES next time 

or "Aye"

• WoodenHands
    526 Posts
    Sun, Sep 21 2014 8:47 PM

DodgyPutter:

Highland voted no but hardly overwhelmingly at under 53% it was less than the average, added to this the areas with most settlers (retire to a lovely cheap highland home) all voted no.  The Yes votes were mainly in the most deprived areas.  Here's a better map, if it works.

I come from St Andrews which could never be described as deprived, yet I and virtually all of my friends and family voted Yes. The Yes vote was spread all over the country which was how it managed to achieve the 44.7% share that it did.

Scaremongering, biased media coverage and soon to be broken promises were all that saved the "union"

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sun, Sep 21 2014 8:48 PM

People said no guys.  

Argue over campaign mistakes or whatever from both sides all day, but two years of it and the people who live there voted NO.

Still another 300 years I guess look at again - maybe.

EDIT: getting in to politics so back to golf.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Mon, Sep 22 2014 1:58 AM

Jimbog1964:
    Still another 300 years I guess look at again - maybe.

We had one in 1979 Jim, the majority voted yes then. Westminster changed the rules after the vote, so we didn't get it.

You're right though, let's all drop this topic. I'm sick of hearing about it.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Mon, Sep 22 2014 2:37 AM

Not sure the two compare.  I was being more throw away flippant really about the Union instigation referring to 300 years (spell out for any one does not know unlikely as is maybe but...).  Edit: No disrespect to those who may have wanted it, just 2+ years 85% turnout (huge average turnout), and a solid 10% NO = time surely.

Anyway away from the fineries of all the above and any other discussion around this I very much agree time to just let it go.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Mon, Sep 22 2014 4:07 AM

He's American and the title is a joke, I find people writing on this thread not to write on this thread less intelligent and I (clearly) just ignore it.  It's easy to not read a thread that you have no interest in, this is the topic of this one and it’s not the only non golf one on here.

Although not as much as it I was, I agree bigotry is still a big factor, and there were marches in Edinburgh and other places too, but the fact that Glasgow voted yes (even South of the river I think) shows this can be overcome.

anobair69:
    partook in a certain amount of scaremongering ie pensions to the over 65s would be in grave jeopardy and of course the old favourite  north sea oil will run out in the very near future. Somebody on this thread mentioned Yes votes coming from deprived areas, maybe they should check that one out.

Indeed people did believe that they would suddenly get no pension money, some also believed that their £'s in the bank would be immediately worthless with a yes vote last Thursday.  I think this is where the yes campaign failed they were not prepared for outright lies, which was naive. As Mark Twain said “A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”

It was me that said about yes winning in deprived areas and they did, I wouldn't know but I suspect that the people you are thinking about are not especially deprived.  I'll try a crash course in posting graphs and show you where the votes came from.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Mon, Sep 22 2014 4:24 AM

Jimbog1964:
    I was being more throw away flippant really about the Union instigation referring to 300 years

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/music/celticconnections/2009/artists/dick_gaughan/

I'm not good at this linking but that in google search box works; It's Parcel o' rouges I have in mind and although it's about 1707 I think it has a strong resonance now.  

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Mon, Sep 22 2014 5:00 AM

DodgyPutter:

Jimbog1964:
    I was being more throw away flippant really about the Union instigation referring to 300 years

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/music/celticconnections/2009/artists/dick_gaughan/

I'm not good at this linking but that in google search box works; It's Parcel o' rouges I have in mind and although it's about 1707 I think it has a strong resonance now.  

Had our differences here I know.  I am actually pretty strong on history, and get a fair bit and would never be disrespectful to peoples views.  However, a long campaign (good and bad both sides) and a very solid "no" from very sentient voters al with a vested interest as they had to live in Scotland.  

May well have a strong resonance, but not strong enough to make the democratic vote yes.  

I am sure you were not saying anything other than explaining some deep feelings, and it was the UK so no terrible goings on we all appreciate, but I do think it now should just be done for a long time - per the democratic vote.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Mon, Sep 22 2014 6:54 AM

This shows where the vote was won and lost, almost completely with those on or approaching pension. I think that the 18-24 group voting no was largely down to fears about losing jobs or benefits (where I think there was also scaremongering) but also the large number of students from other parts of the UK that are in Scotland and could vote.  

Woodenhands, I was born in St Andrews and although I moved aged four I have been back many times since.  I meant no offence to anyone and was, and am, of course generalising.  I’m sure many in Lamond Drive etc voted yes, but I’m equally sure the student vote made sure of a resounding no in the home of golf.  I do also know that all sorts of people voted yes, my wife is English and did and the SNP used to be known as the tartan tories. What I was trying to say was four councils voted yes to independence they were (Dundee City 57%, West Dunbartonshire 54%, Glasgow 53% and North Lanarkshire 51%) all areas of where a higher than average percentage of the population are on low income.

I agree with your last sentence and sort of hope the promises are broken.

As to over for a long time, I don’t think so.  Every election, UK and Scottish, is if not a referendum then close to one.  If the SNP get over 50% in any of these then they can certainly call one, and on the age figures all that is needed is to keep people voting the way did for a couple of years.  Make sure the 16/17yo’s don’t turn in to frightened 20yo’s and discuss the lies that were told on pensions so that those in their late 40’s and 50’s remember next time.

SNP membership was 25,642 on Thursday at 5pm.

Guardian 21/09/14: The SNP said its membership had leapt by more than a third, from 26,000 to 36,000 in the days after the referendum.

Now I’m finished, though a response to something could happen.

RSS