Forums

Help › Forums

Kilts are still Brits

rated by 0 users
Tue, Sep 30 2014 12:14 PM (61 replies)
  • MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Fri, Sep 19 2014 11:32 AM

I'm surprised the vote was as close as it was.  Guess the Highlanders were angrier than I thought.

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Sat, Sep 20 2014 3:35 AM

'Highlanders' actually voted overwhelmingly 'No'.

The dark areas in the image below show the only 4 areas to vote 'Yes' with the other 28 voting 'No'.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Sat, Sep 20 2014 4:07 AM
    The dark areas are yes.
  • WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Sat, Sep 20 2014 4:36 AM

courteneyfish:
    The dark areas are yes.

Thank you for pointing my error out, Ms. Fish.

Rectified.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sat, Sep 20 2014 5:51 AM

Highland voted no but hardly overwhelmingly at under 53% it was less than the average, added to this the areas with most settlers (retire to a lovely cheap highland home) all voted no.  The Yes votes were mainly in the most deprived areas.  Here's a better map, if it works.

Vote share of winning result across council areas

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Sat, Sep 20 2014 6:04 AM

Folk can use whatever words/graphics suits - makes not a jot of difference.

The Union is still in place and will be for years to come.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Sat, Sep 20 2014 6:43 AM
    The islands were never going to vote yes. A fair number of their residents don't even consider themselves Scottish.
  • WoodenHands
    526 Posts
    Sat, Sep 20 2014 6:49 AM

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sat, Sep 20 2014 10:29 AM

courteneyfish:
    The islands were never going to vote yes. A fair number of their residents don't even consider themselves Scottish.

I'm guessing you mean the Northern Isles this is the latest I could find on Orkney from the census, but the trend has continued. 

The past five years has seen a continued growth in immigration, with the English sector growing fastest. I would expect by the 2011 Census the percentages might be over 35% incomer with at least 20% of the total will be of English origin.

So a fair number of the residents are probably right.

• anobair69
    6 Posts
    Sun, Sep 21 2014 2:01 PM

Dogdyputter I find the heading on this thread shows a certain lack of intelligence and something I might expect from a UKIP or EDL member.   The Scottish independence vote was a democratic referendum fairly won by a majority vote, "NO" in this case, in the 3 weeks before the vote all the major Westminster parties went into overdrive and arrived in Scotland to make promises "already renegading on" and partook in a certain amount of scaremongering ie pensions to the over 65s would be in grave jeopardy and of course the old favourite  north sea oil will run out in the very near future. Somebody on this thread mentioned Yes votes coming from deprived areas, maybe they should check that one out. To get a flavour of the type of people who came out in support of the NO vote anyone interested should check out George square 19/09/2014 on youtube and then contrast it with George square 17/09/2014.

Thank you.

RSS