Forums

Help › Forums

What is WGT doing to take measures against cheaters

Fri, Oct 17 2014 9:39 PM (131 replies)
  • fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Tue, Sep 16 2014 1:55 PM

alanti:

calculated the distance and where to aim to - IMHO this would be another cheat this low life was using.

I calculate distance on a pocket calculator, and judge where to aim for the wind by eye. But I would not consider something that tells you where to aim to be a cheat. You can do wind calculations to allow for crosswinds just the same as distance calcs, and the WGT putting grid allows you to aim exactly this amount away from the pin. The result is the same as something that does the calc and measurement for you - it just saves time and effort. Lazy perhaps, but not cheating.

IMO a cheat is something that enables you to do something you cannot humanly do, like hitting 100% of dings, or slowing the meter down to a crawl to make dinging or deliberate miss-dinging much easier.

I also could not assume someone is cheating shooting 51 at Merion on champ greens. For me that would be a miracle score even if every shot was a ding. And as miracle rounds do happen every once in a while, whether dinging or not, this could just be one of those. 

• racoondad
    322 Posts
    Tue, Sep 16 2014 2:30 PM

fmagnets:

IMO a cheat is something that enables you to do something you cannot humanly do, like hitting 100% of dings, or slowing the meter down to make dinging or deliberate miss-dinging much easier.

Huh. This got me thinking. I play starter balls. So is using slow meter balls considered cheating?

• petrieboy
    435 Posts
    Tue, Sep 16 2014 2:34 PM
    im not sure how long WGT has been here. but im sure its many years. what have they done so far about cheats? nothing...by now they could have eliminated the cheaters but they haven't. so theres your answer.....NOTHING.
  • ZioMio
    4,680 Posts
    Tue, Sep 16 2014 2:47 PM

petrieboy:
    im not sure how long WGT has been here. but im sure its many years. what have they done so far about cheats? nothing...by now they could have eliminated the cheaters but they haven't. so theres your answer.....NOTHING.

Evolution 

noun
    1. 1.
      the process by which different kinds of living organisms CHEATING are thought to have developed and diversified from earlier forms during the history of the earth. World Golf Tour.

• GAD59
    237 Posts
    Tue, Sep 16 2014 3:47 PM

It's my opinion, that WGT could care less what who is doing on this game, as long as they're making money, that's all that matters to them. Of course, the players that do use cheat programs, are the most likely players to win credits all the time. I rarely play a WGT tournament just for that fact. Most of their tournaments, also have difficult conditions, and when losing balls that I pay for in brush, water, and out of bounds, i'd rather just tinker around with my Country Club tournaments. You want video's of cheat programs? YouTube is full of them.

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Tue, Sep 16 2014 3:56 PM

racoondad:

So is using slow meter balls considered cheating?

No, you can humanly go and buy these in the pro shop, without the need for a specially designed bit of software to do it for you!

• racoondad
    322 Posts
    Tue, Sep 16 2014 7:33 PM

fmagnets:

racoondad:

So is using slow meter balls considered cheating?

No, you can humanly go and buy these in the pro shop, without the need for a specially designed bit of software to do it for you!

You can buy putter/shot pals from pro shop. You can also make your own with a piece of tape. Is this cheating? What if someone uses software to make an electronic tape on screen?

The more I think about it, the murkier it gets. Not such a black and white issue.

Hypothetically speaking, just for the sake of argument: player A uses Nike balls, player B uses free balls but use a "cheat" program to slow the meter down to the level of Nike. Is player B cheating?

The answer is actually quite complicated:

1) Just for the sake of competition, player B actually is in disadvantage due to less spin and less carry. Who's cheating?

2) From wgt point of view, player B uses something "illegal" and you can call it cheating based on the law made by wgt.

What if a third party could offer a ball that's the same as Nike and players can purchase it with reasonable price. I would not necessarily call it cheat simply because wgt says it's illegal.

What if wgt offers a 50-meter-speed ball for 10,000 cr so only a handful players can afford it. It's perfectly "legal" but I might call whoever uses it cheat.

Premium balls are essentially slow-meter programs plus more. At what degree can someone call it cheat program?

I'm not condoning the use of slow-meter program, rather to show things are not always black and white.

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Tue, Sep 16 2014 7:37 PM

racoondad:
    rather to show things are not always black and white.

Personally I believe every issue you raise is absolutely black and white. But it's late so someone else can debate each point!!

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Sep 16 2014 8:20 PM

What if...What if player A] calls player B] a `fruit` just because his player name is SkipSission, and Skip flubbs a shot with a jumpy meter that bounces weird and goes in the water...is it cheating ? 

• AgentBrown123
    907 Posts
    Tue, Sep 16 2014 8:33 PM

You all are missing the point.

Starting a thread on wgt is pretty pointless apart from the fact that I hope wgt gets the point.

Fmags gets it.... That's about all who have gotten the point of my thread. Account verification has NOTHING to do with it. Use your brain please just a little. Dear God almighty

Ujjbnjk shooting a 51, all I have to say is congrats. I would love to have seen you shoot that to learn something about merion. Apparently 57's aren't good enough to win the prize

RSS