Forums

Help › Forums

Don't hold your breath on Pebble Beach

rated by 0 users
Thu, Nov 19 2015 7:13 AM (49 replies)
  • andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Thu, Aug 28 2014 11:08 AM

Personally I understand why WGT would not be more precise publishing release dates.  They have one release date chiseled in stone contractually for the VUSO.  All other course creation/testing work gets lower priority. And stuff happens like Valhalla.

They did say a long time ago it takes about 6 months to produce a full course.  OK, 6 months from the time the full course photos are shot to release of a CTTH in March or April.  But as far as I can tell the closest they came to 6 months from shoot to full course release was 7 months for Olympic after they took the photos in November and released it in June.  And that was in WGT's backyard.  Congressional was shot the previous May, 13 months before release.

I can imagine many things come in to play when scheduling a shoot.  Course availability, course condition(if its a VUSO), photographer availability, weather patterns, contingency plans (you'd have to plan it early enough to have a 2nd date available later in case of bad weather).  Its got to be a nightmare at times pulling a shoot off.

The delays of Bandon and PB were I believe due to the introduction of Valhalla at very short notice.  Building a course requires different skill sets than writing, troubleshooting and fixing Flash game code logic. 

Building a course is primarily editing the photos and creating standard data files with GPS coordinates for each photo.  Lots of data entry and photo editing.  Programmers only get involved adding the menu items for a new course.  Should be pretty obvious the programmer/engineers were busy writing code for all the new CC stuff just released as well as trouble shooting and fixing problems.  All that was done while Pinehurst2, Valhalla, and I assume Bandon Dunes were being produced.

On MisterWGT's blog is a picture of the Royal St. Georges ground photo crew of 7 photographers.

Add a couple of aerial photogs and we can see how 9 or 10 can do it.  I don't recall WGT ever saying they need two dozen.

I'd be surprised if we see Bandon Dunes before October and Pebble before January.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Thu, Aug 28 2014 11:53 AM

andyson:
    I'd be surprised if we see Bandon Dunes before October

Note that as of last night's update, Bandon is no longer in the Virtual Tour season line-up (where IIRC it was originally slated for November), and there's a new Major at Pinehurst instead.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Thu, Aug 28 2014 12:16 PM

Corwyn:
    Note that as of last night's update, Bandon is no longer in the Virtual Tour season line-up (where IIRC it was originally slated for November), and there's a new Major at Pinehurst instead.

Good catch Corwyn!

It doesn't necessarily mean Bandon won't be available in November.  But without any word from WGT that's probably what most will assume.

• WGTdbloshoe
    2,840 Posts
    Thu, Aug 28 2014 1:04 PM

Corwyn:

andyson:
    I'd be surprised if we see Bandon Dunes before October

A lot has to do with the sponsor of the tournament also.  They usually decide what course they want to use.  Can't say that it is the case for November, I am not privy to a lot of those talks, but I do know they have a say in the course used.  It's hard to give exact dates, things come up, like Valhalla and the working with the USGA.  That CTTH needed to be ready to go for the PGA Championship so it took priority in the short term. 

But rest assured 3 18 hole courses coming in the next 12 months.  All beautiful courses to look at and should be fun to play.

- WGTdbloshoe

• rollone
    772 Posts
    Thu, Aug 28 2014 1:28 PM

Will Manele ever be a stroke course?

• WGTdbloshoe
    2,840 Posts
    Thu, Aug 28 2014 1:50 PM

rollone:

Will Manele ever be a stroke course?

Not sure.  If they ever take a CTTH course and make it into a full 18, I believe Wolf Creek would be the first one.

- WGTdbloshoe

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Thu, Aug 28 2014 2:46 PM

WGTdbloshoe:
    If they ever take a CTTH course and make it into a full 18, I believe Wolf Creek would be the first one.

^^^^^^^^^^^

This!

• amb1923
    223 Posts
    Thu, Aug 28 2014 8:35 PM

WGTdbloshoe:

A lot has to do with the sponsor of the tournament also.  They usually decide what course they want to use.  

But rest assured 3 18 hole courses coming in the next 12 months.  All beautiful courses to look at and should be fun to play.

- WGTdbloshoe

Thanks, Shoe - good to have that information. I think a bunch of us wondered how that was decided and why some of the courses for the Virtual Tour have gotten switched around.

I also think a bunch of us are really looking forward to playing on those courses (especially Pebble - been dreaming about that one since I joined WGT in '10!). Will be nice to have something to get us through the cold, dreary winter looming ahead :)  

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Aug 29 2014 12:41 AM

zagraniczniak:

WGTdbloshoe:
    If they ever take a CTTH course and make it into a full 18, I believe Wolf Creek would be the first one.

^^^^^^^^^^^

This!

Wolf Creek....  WoW.   That would be a great Stroke play course to play.

• Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Fri, Aug 29 2014 1:23 AM

I asked this a couple of years ago, and I'm wondering out load again. Are there any plans to have an Irish course included or even considered? There's so many top courses here, Ballybunion, Old Head of Kinsale, The K Club, Fota Island and Royal County Down to name a few.

RSS