Help › Forums

Don't hold your breath on Pebble Beach

rated by 0 users
Thu, Nov 19 2015 7:13 AM (49 replies)
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Aug 27 2014 8:37 AM

PaulTon:

I tried but halfway down the 1st fairway I had to exhale.

Ha - HA - Ha....that's a good one !

• TarheelsRule
    5,471 Posts
    Wed, Aug 27 2014 9:15 AM

It would be nice if WGT would do a better job communicating with it's members.

The number one complaint, well maybe 2nd behind the meter problems, is the lack of full stroke play courses.   When the announcement was made that they were going to have the current US Open course and the current British Open course, everyone was very excited.   I think immediately visions of Pebble Beach danced in our heads only to be dashed.  I understand the issues with the British Open courses that caused the break down there and frankly it doesn't bother me that much.  We have 2 links courses on the site and that is enough for me.

I really like the tie in with the PGA, if indeed to continues and is a real tie in.   They are probably the group that is most receptive to what is going on here and they courses that they pick are more likely to allow WGT access to them.  

We need to add 2 courses a year and 1 tru golf course.   Do away with the CTTH course adds unless it was the preliminary shoot for a full course.   I don't want to have a CTTH course at Harbour Town unless I get the full stroke play a few months later.

It would be nice if WGT would put up a roadmap to the future in terms of courses.  If the roadmap has to be changed, so be it but at least let us know what you are thinking here.

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Wed, Aug 27 2014 9:16 AM

While WGT and the USGA have an agreement, it seems WGT has a separate agreement with Pebble Beach Golf Links which is why we have had Pebble Beach Golf Links available for CTTH for quite some time.

Earlier this year WGT announced PBGL had renewed their agreement with WGT and expanded it to include PBGL as an 18 hole stroke play course.

Shortly after that the team of photographers (WGT has said it takes about 2 dozen of them) descended on PBGL to do the needed photography.

WGT has noted that it takes 200,000 to 300,000 photographs to provide us with an 18 hole stroke play course. The photos get edited, stitched together, and married to the software that defines the topography of the golf course.

From start to finish WGT says it is a 6 month or so process.

Bandon Dunes for 18 holes of stroke play was started before WGT and PBGL renewed their agreement, so it's likely we will get Bandon Dunes before we get PBGL.

I believe WGT delayed Bandon Dunes and PBGL so they could devote time to addressing a range of issues the game had. 

So, we get 'em when we get 'em.

WGT has a time limit for making Chambers Bay available in time for the 2015 US Open. We usually get the front 9 of the next US Open course for CTTH play in March.

We already have the 2016 US Open venue - Oakmont CC. That will provide WGT a space of time to add an additional non-US Open course in 2016.

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Wed, Aug 27 2014 9:35 AM

ApexPC:

I believe WGT delayed Bandon Dunes and PBGL so they could devote time to addressing a range of issues the game had. 

So, we get 'em when we get 'em.

WGT has a time limit for making Chambers Bay available in time for the 2015 US Open.

WGT has confirmed Chambers Bay. They have projected out into the future with Winged Foot etc., but I don't think anything can be absolutely certain where you have other organizations involved who have to cooperate.

These are highly exclusive private clubs for the most part. It seems so far the USGA has held these clubs' feet to the fire and let them know that the Virtual Open is part of the package when they host the US Open. Clearly that kind of support was lacking from the Royal & Ancient. You've got some pretty snooty clubs involved who could very well turn up their noses at video golf, and they may have no interest in seeing their courses made more available to the many-headed up here on the WGT and all.

• borntobesting
    9,625 Posts
    Wed, Aug 27 2014 12:08 PM

AceHoler26:

courteneyfish:
    It's in the can already. Bandon Dunes, Valhallah and Chambers Bay are the following ones. It's was stated a while ago.

I'll believe it when I see it.  So far the Wiki article has been spot on, as 2 courses have been released in 2 years per the USGA tie-in.

I've read nothing about Bandon Dunes and Valhalla from any WGT operatives.

As of right now, the next new FULL course I expect to see is Chambers Bay next April or June.

Here's hoping you are right, but I'm from Missouri on this one...

Just go to MisterWGT's profile page and read the second blog dated April 30. That is a hole on Pebble Beach, most likely #18. So Pebble has been in production since April 30th at the latest so it looks like sometime in October. 

• WGTdbloshoe
    2,840 Posts
    Wed, Aug 27 2014 12:08 PM

It doesn't make sense to photograph a course, spend the massive amount of time and money to get it done then stash it away for 5 years.  We have said it many times recently and going back since the course was photographed.  It is coming before the next Open there.

Bandon, Pebble, and Chambers are coming in that order.  Not sure how else we can be clearer about it.

- WGTdbloshoe

• alosso
    21,039 Posts
    Wed, Aug 27 2014 12:41 PM

WGTdbloshoe:
    Bandon, Pebble, and Chambers are coming in that order.  Not sure how else we can be clearer about it.

This is very precise and creates a valuable time window, since we might expect Chambers before the 2015 USO.

Thank you very much, it is the first time that I see it in such detail.

Happy to see a change in communication!

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Wed, Aug 27 2014 8:50 PM
    If ever I'm wrong let me know. ( Awaits name calling, It's BANTER)
  • mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Thu, Aug 28 2014 3:54 AM

WGTdbloshoe:
    Bandon, Pebble, and Chambers are coming in that order

Apart from Pebble as it's already a Ctth...  are they all Full Stroke Play Courses?

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Thu, Aug 28 2014 10:25 AM

Yes, all 3 will be 18 hole stroke play.

Bandon Dunes is 18 selected par 3's from the Bandon Dunes Resort golf courses. WGT players got to vote for 9 of the 18 par 3's.

Chambers Bay will be the 2015 Virtual US Open venue.

RSS