Forums

Help › Forums

UK vs US v Aus

rated by 0 users
Fri, Aug 22 2014 5:45 PM (35 replies)
  • unclenewy
    334 Posts
    Wed, Aug 6 2014 7:12 AM

Well I thought we may at least get past the first page before it all fell apart and became a smutfest.......can rely on you guys lol.

Ok here are a few phrases and slang from around the UK.

Watcha (southern, mainly around London)                  :

ayup (northern, mostly Yorkshire and Lancashire)     :   all mean HI

orite (midlands, Birmingham area)                                :

Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs ( If I spelled it phonetically to mimic the Yorkshire accent, you wouldn't be able to read it )....A statement of surprise with a bit of tongue in cheek.

Blow me ( I can hear you Americans sniggering from here )........Also a statement of surprise, usually said by posher people. The stereotypical Englishman if you like.

And a couple of good old Yorkshire ones from my Grandad were......put wood in 't' oil (put the wood in the hole).....meaning "shut the door" and  tha'll mek a better door than a winder (you'll make a better door than a window)......meaning  "you're stood in the way and I can't see"

• unclenewy
    334 Posts
    Wed, Aug 6 2014 7:13 AM

Well I thought we may at least get past the first page before it all fell apart and became a smutfest.......can rely on you guys lol.

Watcha (southern, mainly around London)                  :

ayup (northern, mostly Yorkshire and Lancashire)     :   all mean HI

orite (midlands, Birmingham area)                                :

Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs ( If I spelled it phonetically to mimic the Yorkshire accent, you wouldn't be able to read it )....A statement of surprise with a bit of tongue in cheek.

Blow me ( I can hear you Americans sniggering from here )........Also a statement of surprise, usually said by posher people. The stereotypical Englishman if you like.

And a couple of good old Yorkshire ones from my Grandad were......put wood in 't' oil (put the wood in the hole).....meaning "shut the door" and  tha'll mek a better door than a winder (you'll make a better door than a window)......meaning  "you're stood in the way and I can't see"

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Wed, Aug 6 2014 9:03 AM

Seems a bit like heading to the deep south in the US.  If you ever travel to some small towns in states like Alabama or Georgia, you may hear some words used a bit out of context ... for instance ...

(no offense to my Southern neighbors ... these are all in fun)

Far  ...  "Jim Bob done set his barn on far".

Hep ... "Hep!!!! The barn's on far!"

Bawl ... "It got so hot, you could bawl water.

Fat ... "Jim Bob got in a fat with Bobby Gene and Bobby Gene dun broke Jim Bob's nose"

Clinics ... "Ya'all got some Clinics?  Jim Bob's gotza bludy nose!"

Bare ... "Wanna Bare?  They's ice cold Budweiser's!"

Seed ... "Have you ever seed anything like that before?"

Bleeve ... "Do you bleeve in ghost?"

Did ... "I bleeve dat critter's did ... it ain't movin' at all!"

Farn ... "I dunt understand a thing he said.  He's gots ta be speakin sum farn talk!"

Spearmint ... "Jim Bob is doin' some spearmint in his science class at school"

Ranch ... Jim Bob dropped his 1/2 inch open-end ranch and it went down that rabbit ho."

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Wed, Aug 6 2014 9:20 AM

Aussie:

Amber fluid : beer 

Aussie salute : brushing away flies with the hand 

Banana bender : a person from Queensland

B astard : term of endearment 

Blowie : blow fly

Bushman's hanky : Emitting nasal mucus by placing one index finger on the outside of the nose (thus blocking one nostril) and blowing.

Cut lunch commando : army reservist

Mystery bag : a sausage

Pokies : poker machines, fruit machines, gambling slot machines 

Root (verb and noun) : V impolite polite word in company.

Shark biscuit : somebody new to surfing 

• unclenewy
    334 Posts
    Wed, Aug 6 2014 9:56 AM

Jimbog1964:
    Mystery bag : a sausage

DaddysKat:
    Spearmint ... "Jim Bob is doin' some spearmint in his science class at school"

LOL

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Wed, Aug 6 2014 4:44 PM

unclenewy:

Since it appears you don't seem to get out much I'll throw in a few from north of Hadrian's Wall, Glasgow in particular, courtesy of one Stanley Baxter;

Seeyeezaweramorra!

:O)

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Wed, Aug 6 2014 9:44 PM

WigerToods2010:
    Stanley Baxter

Remember him very well.  Great stuff.

Made me think of:

• Deedan13
    51 Posts
    Wed, Aug 6 2014 10:13 PM

watch?v=MnH1OkBgTuQA few handy phrases if you ever visit Norn Iron (Northern Ireland)

yeeeeeooooooooo (a statement of joy, e.g I just won the lottery, yeeeeooooooo)

kulture (culture, e.g they are disrespecting my kulture)

'bout ye (hello, and how are you, e.g meeting a friend in the street)

fleg (flag, e.g they have takin my fleg)

For pronciation watch this (extra kulture points if ye watch tae the end)

• Oz1960
    440 Posts
    Thu, Aug 7 2014 1:39 AM

DaddysKat:
    Seems a bit like heading to the deep south in the US.  If you ever travel to some small towns in states like Alabama or Georgia, you may hear some words used a bit out of context ... for instance ...

Brilliant...laugh till me guts burst open:))

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Thu, Aug 7 2014 2:23 AM

'Big' Ronnie was a comic genius - alongside the mini version a perfect double act.... someone mention 'fork handles'?

:)

RSS