Forums

Help › Forums

*** Icon and Shoe uneven lie invitational ***

Sun, Aug 10 2014 12:25 PM (132 replies)
  • mmyers0
    478 Posts
    Sat, Aug 2 2014 7:33 PM

I have no idea how to play the 13th hole. I was +1 through 12 and then maxed out. Nothing I tried could keep the ball on the green until I hit it past the hole on my 9th shot. That left a 7-foot curling downhill putt which I missed by a hair and it came all the way back off.

After that I putted off the green twice on 15 for a double, then somehow managed to go long on 18 and then stop a pitch shot 4.5 feet short of the hole despite the downslope. I three-putted, of course. Final score was 37-45=82 and now I've fallen well back.

Did hit a nifty pitch from an orange lie to save par on 16, though:  replay.aspx?ID=5910f553 2da8 455d ac39 a37c0026915a

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Sun, Aug 3 2014 4:23 AM

My poor play in that last round was embarrassing. I tried hard to get a 50something but hit a stupid tee shot on the 3rd and mishit too many putts. To only be leading Icon by 32 shots is simply not good enough ;-)

These super slow greens highlighted 2 things for me though. Firstly, if you are smashing a shortish putt hard and miss the ding, it really does get thrown a long way off line - more than a cup width over 10ft distances, so plenty enough to miss even at half the distance when it is not hitting centre cup. A good argument for reading them better and not just whacking them and hoping for the best. Secondly, how the WGT algorithm for putting is not linear when comparing short and long uphill putts. I had the 20 footers and in at perfect pace from the 2nd hole onwards. Using the same formula for my only long putt of the round (65ft, 23 uphill) put me 18ft past which is a massive error on such slow greens. Maybe AB or Lizard can offer some good tips for these long uphillers. I know AB and I tend to knock 5 feet of power off the calculation when faced with steep uphillers in normal play, but that would have made little difference with my putt here. Maybe it's simply a case of big scales on putters being totally inaccurate? I will think on it.....!

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Sun, Aug 3 2014 4:40 AM

fmagnets:

Maybe it's simply a case of big scales on putters being totally inaccurate? I will think on it.....!

I'm hardly in any position to offer advice to someonbe of your ability but I have noticed that if I hit a 30 foot putt half power with a 60 foot scale it goes further than a fully hit putt with a 30 foot scale.  The same appears to apply to all the scales as far as I can tell, hitting a long scale half or quarter power results in the ball going further than the percentages would suggest.

Having to use long scales so often on those slow greens may have made the effect noticable more often than usual.

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Sun, Aug 3 2014 5:24 AM

I just did an experiment with and without putter pal. When judging where half way is on the scale, I am actually moving it to around 53-54%. This would account for maybe 25% of the error. So the rest is either steep uphill putts behaving differently, or longer scales being inaccurate. Maybe it's both.

I also noticed that while the L94 Nike 150ft and 300ft scales divide nicely into 10% avatar movements, the 100ft scale avatar movements are 13.5ft each. No idea who thought that up!!

• 2DAMFLASHY
    1,141 Posts
    Sun, Aug 3 2014 5:52 AM

Stick,,, a FORK in meee ..... !   76

I didn't mind i flubbed right off,,,an got a few bogeys.... still thought i could bust an even par 18 ...but,,,,,  ..dang ... i just could NOT make a dern single  birdy for nothing... was surreal ,,,lol

think about 3 or 4..i wuss'd an died a  foot short .... an,,, 2 or 3 were  rammed,,, but   .. if ya not dead center almost.... .. got.spun off the lip ... good chances too ...9 to 22 ft .. uugggg ...

oh well... i did try hard as i could...  played tad too safe really ..used a pink ,WGT legend ball i had a few of ..,, and 2dot ball meter was tad quicker that was used too ..but i could of try'd  to fire at more pins.... was landin ball center green or 30 ft or so.... had a couple 50 ft away ...geeesh...neeeded a cannon putter to get it there,,,.. oh well,,, 22 ft avg.,,(shhh).. .. an never play UN evens so ....  there ... :)

the ...37 ..blankety blank blank putts... made my finger sore ...

much respect to all ... that play em alot... i like em.and will play em more ...when an if i ever think i've got at least kinda good..on REG ..lies.. but ,,im gettin older an weedz gett'n better ... could be ALL i got ....:(

STILL,,,,,,,, WAITING ON MY .... BACK ORDER !!  ... case,, of icon dolls

peace....  THX shoe .... icon... an WGT .. funn stuff ...

..... anytime.... id love ..4 rounds of slick.50's... 4 different courses.. ( NOT whistler)....4 me ..  well if reg lies,,, whistler ok.. ..  no matter where ..if it rolls off green an only way is to ...make it ..from pitch . flop,, or chip... i like that ... even at risk of making a 10 ...10 not so bad ... lmaoooooooo

peace.... :)_~~

• bhoese
    679 Posts
    Sun, Aug 3 2014 10:20 AM

My R4 was the opposite of my R2, this time a maddening start was followed by a hot streak.  VEM!  VEM! 

In the slow rounds, only one of my 14 birds was a repeater (the 10th) for a best ball of 57.  I'm much happier after this round.  Putting stats after 6 holes:

If I had the read and power right, I missed the ding.  If I dinged it, I screwed up elsewhere.  No lipouts in that first bunch and only one (on 13) for the round.

---

R3 was a very satisfying even par...

The 13th was the pivotal hole.  I smacked a 62 punch in the tailwind, which allowed the ball to roll around long enough to get saved by the bell.  Who knows how many strokes were saved with the birdie putt.  Probably a lot more than the usual one.  

Overall:  While I like the challenge of the faster speeds, I wish it wasn't such a trick-shot contest on some holes (like the 13th!).  I don't think there should be a fee if it keeps anybody out.  One of these a month is about the right frequency so they don't get too routine.  4 x 18 x 3 days is perfect.

Finally, a huge thanks to Shoe and Icon for putting this on, and congratulations to Mags on his rout of the field!  You adapt quite well for a robot!

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Sun, Aug 3 2014 1:34 PM

Interesting how perspectives differ from player to player.

I'm thrilled I shot a 79 in the final round. How I did it was the best part for me. Only 2 3-putts and 34 putts total, including 4 putts under 3". Do I wish those hadn't hung up? Sure! But I avoided a 4-putt or worse.

Also avoided having a blow-up hole. 1 birdie (#10), 11 pars, 2 bogeys, 4 double bogeys.

Looking at the others in the tournament, I feel like the amateur in a pro-am. It was a fun experience. Thank you.

• AgentBrown123
    907 Posts
    Sun, Aug 3 2014 3:30 PM

fmagnets:

My poor play in that last round was embarrassing. I tried hard to get a 50something but hit a stupid tee shot on the 3rd and mishit too many putts. To only be leading Icon by 32 shots is simply not good enough ;-)

These super slow greens highlighted 2 things for me though. Firstly, if you are smashing a shortish putt hard and miss the ding, it really does get thrown a long way off line - more than a cup width over 10ft distances, so plenty enough to miss even at half the distance when it is not hitting centre cup. A good argument for reading them better and not just whacking them and hoping for the best. Secondly, how the WGT algorithm for putting is not linear when comparing short and long uphill putts. I had the 20 footers and in at perfect pace from the 2nd hole onwards. Using the same formula for my only long putt of the round (65ft, 23 uphill) put me 18ft past which is a massive error on such slow greens. Maybe AB or Lizard can offer some good tips for these long uphillers. I know AB and I tend to knock 5 feet of power off the calculation when faced with steep uphillers in normal play, but that would have made little difference with my putt here. Maybe it's simply a case of big scales on putters being totally inaccurate? I will think on it.....!

Hey Fridge,

You don't need any advice :). So f off! :))

Joking aside. To be honest with you, I have never noticed these inconsistency you're talking about... But I'm not sure that I had a really uphill putt you're speaking of. I found that using distance time 2 and adding 1 more foot was consistently right. For longer putts with uphill and downhill putts, it was spot on. There was only one putt from 6 feet that was dead straight that I left 3 inches short. But, I think it actually said uphill 1 inch, not downhill.

Jon

• aichapman
    1,359 Posts
    Sun, Aug 3 2014 3:48 PM

Thank You Icon and Shoe.

Lots of Phun.

Congrats to the Winners and Well done to all the participants.

A learning curve, that's for sure.

Regards from Alan

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Sun, Aug 3 2014 5:01 PM

AgentBrown123:

I found that using distance time 2 and adding 1 more foot was consistently right. For longer putts with uphill and downhill putts, it was spot on. 

That's what I used. x 2 + elevation + 1. Worked perfectly on every putt except the putt from the front of the 4th green, 65ft, 23 uphill. Calc says hit 154. I know these long uphill ones tend to fly, so I tried to go a little under half way up the 300 scale. And it went 18ft past, which is like getting it 36ft wrong on a standard green. Mind-bending!

RSS