Forums

Help › Forums

make wgt a fair game

rated by 0 users
Sat, Aug 30 2014 5:46 AM (41 replies)
  • fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Sat, Jul 26 2014 12:26 AM

I joined when it was just released in March 2008, and even though I read the 1st course was Kiwiah I know for a fact in early 2008 it was only 9 holes at Bali...game was almost impossible to play, I don't recall a pro shop '08 but I do remember seeing the forum in '09 and reading something about paying for balls...half the time you couldn't even login if it had a few players, took 5 minutes at times to change holes LOL...

I played occasionally for a year or so when I could get on the site but it was so bad I didn't even play for 4 years until I noticed the link still in my favorites a year ago and almost deleted it LOL...I was amazed at how much better the game was...

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Sat, Jul 26 2014 1:05 AM

Good memory. You're right. A few holes of CTTH at Bali Hai was all we had. The game has definitely grown up.  I joined in early June of 2007, a few weeks after the first demo holes hit the internet.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sat, Jul 26 2014 7:44 AM

TracyMax:

SweetiePie:

Back in beginning, all of it was fair. There was nothing other than Front 9 Kiawah stroke play, Bali Hai & Kiawah CTTH, all always played in light 1 to 4 mph wind. No equipment for sale; everyone using only the starter stuff. It was as fair as it can get....it was as boring as it can get. 

I did not know that. When did WGT start up exactly? I've been playing since 2010 and it was Bethpage,Kiawah, St.Andrews, and one other for stroke play as I recall. Don't remember the CTTH courses. There were more than starter clubs available, not as many ball choices though.

I think it was in Nov of 2007. Two of my brothers started in Jan 2009 ( neither play anymore) I started playing it then a little bit and then created my own SP in Apr 2009. At about that time we got Kiawah B9 added. Plus a driver or two and some irons, both adding only 3-5 yards, also two balls...either 1dot dist or 1dot spin. Then Beth came F-19. The game then was a monster. There was no clear advantage for any player. To illustrate, I have a replay from late 2009 of my 1st HOI at Kiawah 17, playing at around 180 yds and I'm hitting a Rapture hybrid ! The game was much harder then. At Beth, most fairways and greens were not reachable and developed many wonderful shortgames. But it was fair, and the great players were....GREAT!  

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Sat, Jul 26 2014 8:32 AM

This tread brings back some memories.

I first bumped into WGT back in late 2007 .... i started an account under some other name at the time ... and I remember it well.   There were only 9 holes .. Bali Hai.   There was only one ball - the free one.   You had a choice of regular  (novice) or advanced (profesisonal) golf clubs.  The advanced clubs were fast as can be and I found it impossible to come close to hitting good shots --- although when you got lucky and did ... there was some backspin capability.  

The thing I found intriguing was you had to set up your shots by determining where you wanted to put the ball in your stance by sliding it forward or back (i.e higher or lower shot) AND you had to option to move both feet right / left for a draw / fade shot.   Those were 2 very cool functions I wish they would release in today's game.

Anyway as you can guess --- i quickly became bored and stopped playing.

Fast forward to May 15, 2009 ... shortly before the US Open at Bethpage .. one of my co-workers asked me if I had seen this web site where you could play Bethpage on-line ... I tried it and was hooked --- free clubs, free balls, etc. etc.   You could buy some upgraded clubs (which I did).    Dam the game was hard --- guys like Nivlac, Tibbets and AvatarLee were winning everything in site.  

It wasn't until after the open when I hooked up with the guys in my CC via the IRC chat room and played bali CTTH with them that I realized --- I had done this before !!! ..... I went back and serached every internet based name i ever used and found the original account - and asked WGT to delete it.     I can't keep track of one account - let alone 2 :)

Anyway I'm glad I found WGT --- I've made many good friends through our C Club.  Have met many of them for real golf trips / golf dates.   We talk occasionally --- and we play WGT and other things all the time (fantasy football, BBall pools, on line poker, fantasy golf, etc.)

Game's come a long way ... and still has so much potential.    Like it (and it's meter issues) or not it's the #1 Golf Social Media game in the world.

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Sat, Jul 26 2014 8:41 AM

SweetiePie - You're close. It was earlier in 2007 than November.

WGT.com launched a demo of the site in early/mid 2007. It might have been late April but I think it was mid-May. I was part of a group of golf friends who got together in real life for a round whenever one of us was travelling near another member's city. We  were staying in touch with each other playing ShotOnline but constantly looking to see what else was out there that would also work for us.  We happened to catch this game early. I joined June 9, 2007.

The open WGT beta commenced in October of 2008.

• Bendeswede
    95 Posts
    Sat, Jul 26 2014 9:02 AM

right handed or left handed, with or without gloves?

• Fuzzygazz
    1,469 Posts
    Sat, Jul 26 2014 9:15 AM

SweetiePie:

TracyMax:

SweetiePie:

Back in beginning, all of it was fair. There was nothing other than Front 9 Kiawah stroke play, Bali Hai & Kiawah CTTH, all always played in light 1 to 4 mph wind. No equipment for sale; everyone using only the starter stuff. It was as fair as it can get....it was as boring as it can get. 

I did not know that. When did WGT start up exactly? I've been playing since 2010 and it was Bethpage,Kiawah, St.Andrews, and one other for stroke play as I recall. Don't remember the CTTH courses. There were more than starter clubs available, not as many ball choices though.

I think it was in Nov of 2007. Two of my brothers started in Jan 2009 ( neither play anymore) I started playing it then a little bit and then created my own SP in Apr 2009. At about that time we got Kiawah B9 added. Plus a driver or two and some irons, both adding only 3-5 yards, also two balls...either 1dot dist or 1dot spin. Then Beth came F-19. The game then was a monster. There was no clear advantage for any player. To illustrate, I have a replay from late 2009 of my 1st HOI at Kiawah 17, playing at around 180 yds and I'm hitting a Rapture hybrid ! The game was much harder then. At Beth, most fairways and greens were not reachable and developed many wonderful shortgames. But it was fair, and the great players were....GREAT!  

I joined June 2007. I believed they launched around  March 2007.There weren't many many players around so you had to play alone. Bali Hai  Love/Hate you had no choice.  Then came Kia. The Jerry Lewis Open :) . Some guy Tibbs won. Good stuff. Lou I don't think WGT realizes what they have in social media here. Go public Yu.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Sat, Jul 26 2014 9:27 AM

WGT Media launched a demo of the site in 2007 and commenced an open beta test in October 2008.[9] The first golf course WGT Media captured and developed for play was the Ocean Course at Kiawah Island Golf Resort, located in South Carolina.[10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Golf_Tour

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sat, Jul 26 2014 9:29 AM

lvietri:
    Dam the game was hard --- guys like Nivlac, Tibbets and AvatarLee were winning everything in site.  

Yes they were ! And believe me, Tall Ace Paul, claremoreblue, fuzzygazz, thunderbird, plus you Lou & srellium, and some others still here, were all guns. And Iconian...our own wgticon, was no slouch. It was hard, fair & fun...and at about that time, Botox (he-he) Bolloxenbruges...started making his move...still is 

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Sat, Jul 26 2014 10:39 AM

SweetiePie:
    Yes they were ! And believe me, Tall Ace Paul, claremoreblue, fuzzygazz, thunderbird, plus you Lou & srellium, and some others still here, were all guns. And Iconian...our own wgticon, was no slouch. It was hard, fair & fun...and at about that time, Botox (he-he) Bolloxenbruges...started making his move...still is 

Not me SP ... :) .. definitely the others.     And don't sell him short .. Icon is a tremendous louch (couldn't resist the caddie shack reference) ...

I started playing the same time as Bollox and Jake (my first multi player game partner) ... Notice how they progressed ---- not me ... ha ha ha

I also remember the biggest Match Play I did for credits was the first day MPC's were announced.   MrWGT came by the chat room and asked if anyone was up for 18 holes on BP for 2,000 credits ---- So I bit.   It was one of the most intense games I ever played.  I was down 2 or 3 at the turn.   Came back and was down 1 going into #15 ... made birdie to tie (back then it was dam hard to do).  We both made par on 16, on 17 I flopped in from the trap in front of the green for birdie --- MR W made a 30 ft putt from the back of the green to tie and we both made par on 18 and I won on the first extra hole with birdie on #1.   That was the last big credit game I ever did .. too much pressure ...  now i'm a 222 and occasional 333 player :)

RSS