Forums

Help › Forums

WGT "rake" on games for credits(RG's)

rated by 0 users
Fri, Oct 8 2010 4:24 AM (9 replies)
  • flushinjus
    76 Posts
    Wed, Oct 6 2010 5:03 AM

I a new player and have just started to dip my toes in games with entry fees(credit games). Am I correct when I notice the 20% reduction in the prize pools? I assume these MISSING credits are removed by WGT as admin type fee.  

If this is the case I find this a bit a little unfair. For starters the credits can not be redemed back for real money and the prizes you can buy from the proshop(not the clubs) are at a massively inflated price anyways. I just can't see why the administators would want to evoporate the prize pools/remove the credits from the site to this extent.

Its not like WGT makes more money when they remove the more credits. After all with the real games its all even sum after all and the credits are a complety pseudo economy anyways. 

• hoochlah
    81 Posts
    Wed, Oct 6 2010 5:11 AM

yea a 20% rake is a bit rich if u ask me but i think its always been the case. ive noticed a few people mentioning it in other forum posts but dont reckon anything will be changed. i reckon it should be more like 5% but thats just me.

• saja1970
    160 Posts
    Wed, Oct 6 2010 10:12 AM

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/24609/138707.aspx#138707

check it out, issues issues issues....no fix

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Wed, Oct 6 2010 10:25 AM

flushinjus:
    Its not like WGT makes more money when they remove the more credits.

Sure they do.  Without removing their cut, there would be ten times as many credits in circulation as there are right now and those pro shop prizes, which are indeed almost completely unattainable, would become attainable.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Wed, Oct 6 2010 10:28 AM

hoochlah:

yea a 20% rake is a bit rich if u ask me but i think its always been the case. ive noticed a few people mentioning it in other forum posts but dont reckon anything will be changed. i reckon it should be more like 5% but thats just me.

If we didn't have to subsidize all the free play, I'm sure WGT would agree to take a smaller cut.  They have bills to pay and unfortunately RG'ers, MPC'ers, etc. end up having to pay for it by pretty much never being able to attain prizes.

• ThreeSpot
    476 Posts
    Wed, Oct 6 2010 5:52 PM

CharlemagneRH:

hoochlah:

If we didn't have to subsidize all the free play, I'm sure WGT would agree to take a smaller cut.  They have bills to pay and unfortunately RG'ers, MPC'ers, etc. end up having to pay for it by pretty much never being able to attain prizes.

I have my doubts about free play needing to be subsidized. I believe it is a rare player who makes enough on the freebies to cover the cost of the balls used to play them. So I think it likely that WGT actually makes a small amount on these tourneys when you weigh consumables used playing them vs. the purse.

• flushinjus
    76 Posts
    Wed, Oct 6 2010 8:16 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I just had a look at the Elite Collection and the $500 cards are worth 300 000 credits ($3000 worth of credits) LOFL!!!  Thats 6 to 1, as I said the credits are even sum (WGT doesn't give them away) except for the weekly free touneys which are great but in reality offer a very small amount of credits. So I would assume the more credits out there the better for WGT if they can "buy" them back from the customer at a 6 to 1 rate. Damm if I could run that deal I would be rich!!

I do understand the developers want to raise revenue for their product, however what the difference if their are more credits in circulation. People will just but more virtual balls, clubs, entry fee's ect & the community will thrive even more. The virtual products after all are just that virtual. The more attractive this site becomes surely the more revenue/intrest this site would recieve?

I really think a people notice a 20% cut and the touneys will dry up eventuly. WGT makes more if PLAYER (A)    Plays a 1 game a week at 20% or Player (B) plays 3 games a week at 10%? Simple really. I  for one won't play these because of this I would rather just buys some clubs, so now my credit investment is stagnet. I have deposited $20 on this site only (got the free PING rapture 10.5) probaly just see how far that gets me :).

Just some food for thought.

• LongIronHicks
    7 Posts
    Wed, Oct 6 2010 10:16 PM

I am also new here... and I'm a bit confused by what I've read here and in other posts...

I understand that the game is advertised as 'free' to play. A person can play all day long if he or she desires and not spend a dime. But how good can that person get in reality if he or she doesn't actually spend some cash to get decent items? Are there players out there that have spent NO cash and can still compete with the top-tier players?

I understand that the items cost 'credits' - albeit at a ridiculously inflated cost. I understand that credits can be won in tournaments. IF a person can actually place high enough with the junk starting equipment and restrictions. The clubs you are given starting out are like hitting with a soggy tree branch that has been floating in the river for months. Not to mention lack of fade or draw capabilities. I've hit green-skinned walnuts that just fell from a tree better and farther than I can hit the balls they give you.

I'm currently L26... and have seen no measurable improvement in equipment. I made a whopping 100 credits along the way somewhere... I barely noticed. Thank you WGT (I guess).

Can this game be played effectively and competitively with out opening a person's wallet??

I have never paid to play any online game... and never will. I just feel a person should be able to work up the ranks normally... with skill and good gameplay WITHOUT having to pay for shortcuts to victory. What others do is their choice... I chose not to. If the developers wish to get paid for their work... there are other ways. Charging for upgrades so a player can actually compete is just the easy way for them.

Besides... Have you seen the posts about the intentional swing deviations and restructuring of tiers? Obvious over-inflated costs for equipment? This bug or that bug? The list goes on and  on. Lots of unhappy players out there. And I've only been here a couple of days.

It seems to me that WGT isn't even willing to answer emails or reply to posts at all. As if they don't care. Why would a person pay for that kind of service?? And why would anyone pay anything to play a BETA version?? Confusing to me.

Instead of 500 credits (or whatever) to tournament winner, give the winner 400... problem solved. I instantly deducted WGT's 20% and didn't use the foolish 'rake' word once. Throw that stupid 'rake' idea in the garbage. Unnecessary.  Just offer less. It seems like people have to pay taxes to play... NEVER a good idea in marketing to suggest that.

There are those players who have been here a long while that might object to my being a 'noob' and voicing my thoughts and opinions after only a couple of days. To those persons... feel free... this is not my first online game. I've played my share of those too... some scams.. some not. Mostly scams. Some good... some not. Mostly not.

• flushinjus
    76 Posts
    Fri, Oct 8 2010 3:31 AM
    You might have already recieved the starters clubs. I have won some credits with the default gear, not sure how :) Its a pretty cool game with OBV room for improvment. I put on $20 because I don't mind paying for services I enjoy and they offered a free driver. I just don't like getting ripped-off.
  • hoochlah
    81 Posts
    Fri, Oct 8 2010 4:24 AM
    the game is free to play of course - if u want to compete with the better players then u would have to spend something. i shot 60 at bethpage when i was an amateur using starter clubs and balls - was hard but not undoable. u dont have to spend anything if u do surveys to get credits. unfortunately with the new tiers/levels u would need to play an enormous amount of golf to get the equipment u want when u have credits. no one wants u to pay to play - u do it out of your own free will if u want to compete with better players - really is up to the individual. the posts you read here u have to understand comes from a small amount of people that are registered to this site - take what you read with a grain of salt. its usually the same people reposting the same gripes pretty much. as to wgt answeing emails - personally theyve answered all my emails - if written in a nice manner they will respond. yea i dont understand the 'beta' tag here - been like that for years (?). that 'rake' you mentioned is applicable for ready-goes/ club tourneys - the free tourneys dont have a rake. no objections to your post - make more :)
RSS