Forums

Help › Forums

Thoughts please - New Tier Above Tour Legends?

Wed, Oct 22 2014 7:22 PM (179 replies)
  • alosso
    21,042 Posts
    Sun, Jun 15 2014 12:55 PM

DAZZA501:

Richard4168:
    A group of players that prematurely made Tour Legend can't score like the top players and are despaired by it.

Lol

And then they want all equipment unlocked because they honestly believe that a driver that goes 3yds longer will knock 10 shots off their game....LMFAO

I'm sorry, no. Those in despair of being "minor" TLs will not, WILL NOT receive the potential free access to the Pro Shop. That coveted plus of 3 yds will stay OOB for them. It's the others, the top Champion Legends, who will be supported to become even stronger. What for (in full respect for their achievements)?

I see about 1000 players in the top echelon of this game. They all have achieved 500 rounds of a combined average of 60.000, they are the cream of the game. Would it be justified to say, they form the top 1% of all active players?

And there come some ppl stating "Some of these must be protected against the very top, the top 0.2%!"?

Excuse me, that sounds like utter bs to me.

What about the 10-fold(?) number of Legends, who - in big number - aren't likely ever to scratch at the TL's door? I'm sure that they comprise quite a few who are in despair of experienced Legends (I am @67.78).

I read today that some of the TL RGs need a week to fill - not the timing I'd expect for such dynamic competition. Dividing their number might turn this to painfully slooow on both sides.

In conclusion, I doubt that the cumulated effect for the players would be positive.

My 2 Pfennig.

• druid1999
    732 Posts
    Sun, Jun 15 2014 12:57 PM

I'm late to the party on this thread, but I think Jimbog makes a lot of sense in his comments.

My response is purely personal, but I think there are a lot of players like myself who  would be in favor of higher tier(s) above TL.

I'm a legend player with avg. just below 61 - and no, I  didn't do it the easy way -. I've played about 4,500 scored rounds, nearly a thousand alt shots, etc and still get easily confused by big crosswinds, I don't think I have a very good understanding of how to score consistently well at the TL level (running joke is that I proudly aspire to be WGT's worse TL).

It's not a matter of "crying about not being able to compete" I have no expectations of that and marvel at the level of technique and consistency the top players can achieve. I love playing alt shots with TLs, just to see how they play and maybe on a good day learn something new.

There's still some of us (a lot of us) that don't give much of a damn about the credits. We spend a little money, scramble for survey/video credits, look forward to getting an exchangeable gift card (Subway! yes!) for Father's Day and enjoy testing ourselves and joking with friends and on rare occasions, breaking top 100 in a weekly or monthly tournament.

All respect to the big-money players, but your skill level at the TL level is far superior to the rest of us WGT mere mortals - and if the intent of creating a higher level(s) than TL is to even the competitive levels - then it seems like it's a no-brainer to do so.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sun, Jun 15 2014 1:02 PM

Lizard69:
    I agree with most of what you say but what will happen when 95% of players are TL's

That would take awhile I'd think...how long has it been now, and what..less than 1200 TL's last I looked at Russ's list.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sun, Jun 15 2014 1:24 PM

MBaggese:
    That would take awhile I'd think...how long has it been now, and what..less than 1200 TL's last I looked at Russ's list.

I Completely agree. Lizard brings up a good point, but hell, wait a few more years. Its too soon to star talking about a new tier.

Some of the Tour Legends who are despaired may get better with more playing time.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Sun, Jun 15 2014 1:25 PM

No "new" tier, just a title based on accomplishments for a a set period of time...

Call it "Tour Elite", no changes to course, no set amount of ranked rounds...

if your a TL and winning tournaments, RG's, weeklies, monthlies, top of money list, whatever to set yourself apart from the rest you are the best of the best, Elite status recognition of some sort...and not a permanent status, you have to do it every year or lose it....

Then another suggestion I like is "Hall of Fame" status for the truly elite who have proven themselves time and time again to be the very best of the best, TL US open winners, TL top of money list, career earnings, and this status should be permanent!

edit: Although I like the idea of voting on Hall of fame status, due to the fact there is "still" a ton of threads  and a ton of members still crying about "Cheaters", and including the top players in this conspiracy, a vote might not be fair...

• frappefort
    3,994 Posts
    Sun, Jun 15 2014 1:43 PM

Late commenting on this thread , I took my time to think ,,,,,,,,, and  of course  it is my opinion   .........            Tour Legend  should be the second  highest  tier WGT should give .................  and god of golf knows how hard it is to get to that point,  and play and act like one :)       .                     I Think for a few  Tour Legend  the best of the best,  and there is not that many,  I would say 25 to 50 members  out of  1,300 TL (I Made up that number for example ).      Well  WGT should start   thinking about giving them  the title of (Tier) WGT ELITE)   .   Not that they need to beat every one  or get a new title for that matter ,,,,,,,,,just to have us ,WGT power to be,  recognise their achievement    ,,,,,    imagine playing a game with a WGT ELITE  the trill for some of us that would have a chance to play with the very best ......... And give some of the TL  something else to go for .          WGT  would have to get a staff member to  come  with a way to choose  the way,and  a formula  to choose them  very carefully 

WGTadmin2:

Help us think this thru

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sun, Jun 15 2014 1:57 PM

frappefort:
    I Think for a few  Tour Legend  the best of the best,  and there is not that many,  I would say 25 to 50 members  out of  1,300 TL (I Made up that number for example ).      Well  WGT should start   thinking about giving them  the title of (Tier) WGT ELITE)........................        WGT  would have to get a staff member to  come  with a way to choose  the way,and  a formula  to choose them  very carefully

Something like a PGA Q-School comes to mind.  Open to TLs only, 4 rounds in the toughest conditions on hardest courses.  Maybe 20 qualify the 1st time,  then every 3 or 6 months, another Q and the top 5 get added.

• 2DAMFLASHY
    1,141 Posts
    Sun, Jun 15 2014 2:24 PM

my 2 cents..

i was one that was all for a new tier... BEFORE ... TOUR LEGEND....

and... was glad to see WGT .. listen'd...but they ..made it where. it could be .... manipulated ..or whatever ya wanna call it...

SO ,,,,, now ya have a gaggle of FAKE ..TL's   that all they did was run around Bpage ..over an over  ..just to get the title....

so ... NO..if ya gunna make it EZ...and  saturate avg.s ..bla bla bla...

BUT.... if yer going to say...have to have ...so many ... RG ..WINS...OR free tourny wins... NOT ..CC wins...have shot at least a 29..on every normal course 9... lots of things... is what i mean...or bigger criteria  ,,for making it... i seen alot of other good idea's ahead of my reply.... that could apply also...

mabey ..have to finish in top 100 ..of .. virtual open,,, and NOT in unlimited mode...like just qualify,,

i will vote ..that ..another tier or STAR ..by their name .. would be well earned..and honestly deserved...

'id be an even bigger ..YES VOTE ...for DEMOTION....

peace....

ROCK ON....."" REAL"" TOUR LEGENDS.... u have my UTMOST respect

• frappefort
    3,994 Posts
    Sun, Jun 15 2014 2:28 PM

Close to a formula there ANDY,    Maybe  the first 10 would get the new title , every 6 months  , They would  had 5 more + one selected for other achievement ($$ earning, CTTH repeat winner ,one player name for is  over all contribution to WGT success,  and many thought come to mind , you get the ideal) )    That way those that where close the first time ,would have other go at it .....    Again friends just thinking a loud here :) ////////          TY       

• troyronaldson
    382 Posts
    Sun, Jun 15 2014 2:30 PM

If this is to try and fair things up a little how about leaving tiers where they are and work on the multi accounters that get to legend tier etc in a couple of months and win tourneys etc

RSS