Forums

Help › Forums

Upcoming Changes...and Thank You!

Fri, Feb 11 2011 2:20 AM (215 replies)
  • mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Sep 24 2010 3:04 PM

Thanks for that feedback. As with everything in life it just takes a short time to get used to new situations, I'm a Tour Master and the only problem I have/had with the new system was starting at Level 30. The clubs I've got in my bag you can only get a very high level now, which is way out of my reach. Apart from that  the game is still great and the new Tier System is also a great idea.

Playing Tournaments against your own Tier members is a great idea. It gives a level playing field for everybody. Are the Ready-Go Tournaments set up for this. I've noticed the Leaderboards only show the Level and not Tier for each person. Would it be possible to enter Tournaments that is set for higher Tier members.

Playing on championship greens for the first time was an eye opener....lol...don't know if I like them...lol.

Would you be able to tell me what the the Tier breakdown is... eg; what Ave/Level you need to go to the differant Tiers... This is a question people in my Social Club has been asking.

• Stryder1261
    931 Posts
    Fri, Sep 24 2010 3:08 PM

No mention of making Oakmont available to CC or adding Celtic Manor or Hilversumche either, I guess if it doesnt make WGT money $$$ its of no concern. 

You already have Pinehurst, Wolf Creek, Bali Hai and Tahoe mapped out, How hard is it to turn these into 9 hole stroke play games ???

lets get some new stroke play courses !!!!! and add Hilversumche to the ctth courses on here !! 

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Fri, Sep 24 2010 3:13 PM

tiffer67:

CharlemagneRH:

I guess it does add up, but how much did GI-SD's cost back in June, July, and early August, before all that stuff went on sale?  I think something around 150 credits, so 20 credits more (i.e. 132) would still be cheaper than the price that we were paying back then.

So long as WGT keeps in mind that they are supposed to be trying to do us a favor here, hopefully we will be satisfied with the result.

I have just had a look at all my transactions over the last month. Between buying for myself and gifting to others, I have spent 6497 credits on balls.

I've got a fair number in my bag but an increase in price of 15% would add nearly another 1,000 credits to that total. Multiple the increase across all players and overnight WGT has a big increase in revenue.

I don't know what you're doing with your balls, but that is 174 balls, or 5.8 balls per day.

I use more along the lines of 2 balls per day, and I suspect that your usage is 3 per day, so regardless of however many you bought (I can buy 300 sleeves of balls right now, but that doesn't mean I use 900 balls in a month,) we are really talking about a 350-500 credit increase, not 1,000, and that your real total usage is about 3,500, not 6,500.

That said, I conceded the point that it does add up and is not insignificant.  If they are 130 credits, though, that will still be cheaper than they used to be, and I'd also like to point out that in that same month in which you have spent ~3,500 of credits on balls, you have probably spent 24,000 credits on RG entry fees.

As far as sustained vs. lump-sum revenue goes, that is actually somewhat irrelevant.  Probably 250 clubs are bought every day, so that is, in fact, very sustained revenue.  Of course, when new clubs come out, WGT will see a spike in revenue (and a drop in outstanding credits amongst those who have accumulated credits through RG/MPC play), but I doubt it really matters much to them whether they get $75k in a typical month, but spike up to $250k in a month in which new clubs are released, or $100k/mo that is as steady as a surgeon's hand.  Money is money... and the only point at which this will become an issue is end-game where there are already great clubs out there releasing even better clubs would make the game ridiculous, which would make releasing new and improved clubs impossible.

Now, if you want to complain about money wasted on mapping out courses that are never added to general gameplay, whose data is simply discarded whimsically even though it probably cost $250k to fly people and equipment out, collect and process into data that the game engine could actually work with, and rigorously test or adjust it after players complained about a bug, or if you want to complain about how RG's are used to subsidize extravagant golfing trips for only a select few, then I am right there with you.  I am here to get the set of (real life) G15 clubs from the Elite Collection store, so that I might someday make a youtube video of myself driving the ball 300 yards, then thanking WGT for the clubs, so I am as interested as anyone in saving my credits... but the price of balls is not too high on my list of gripes.  I want to see WGT waste $250k on sending out 125 sets of IRL clubs, not the collection of data for courses that are never added to general gameplay or a 5-day golfing trip for "some dude."  I might dislike Iconian, but I think he deserves a set of golf clubs for all of the effort that he has put into the game, and it would be pretty awesome to have 200+ members on these boards who have gotten an awesome set of IRL clubs from WGT, and I'd much prefer to be three months away from getting my own set rather than a year.  Trust me... I am worried about this stuff too!  ;)

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Fri, Sep 24 2010 4:39 PM

Charle, I never said it was a normal monthly consumption, I merely used it as an example, as I had access to the actual numbers via my transaction history. Whether it's normal or not, a 15% increase is a 15% increase whether it's 6 balls or 60 balls you use a month.

• SHOOTTOTHRILL
    12 Posts
    Fri, Sep 24 2010 5:00 PM
    A new distance ball? Learning new distances on all my clubs does not sound like a great idea. However, i am happy about the fact the WGT is trying to do something to fix this mess. I guess i could buy a new set of irons to learn to go along with the new ball.....Lol.....
  • Tarheel3rd
    55 Posts
    Fri, Sep 24 2010 5:06 PM

I hope that the new balls for legends will provide the necessary increase in distance to compete fairly with other tiers. It seems odd how Masters and Legends are able to use the same clubs but Legends have to play from longer tees by like 30 to 50 yds. It might be a good idea to just come up with a legend driver and bring some balance to this. The sufficient distance for the legend balls will atleast have to be over +30 yds in my opinion. Just coming out with a new driver for legend tier would be more simple and when is this change going to take place??

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Fri, Sep 24 2010 5:18 PM

SHOOTTOTHRILL:
    A new distance ball? Learning new distances on all my clubs does not sound like a great idea. However, i am happy about the fact the WGT is trying to do something to fix this mess. I guess i could buy a new set of irons to learn to go along with the new ball.....Lol.....

Realistically speaking, you'd probably have to relearn the shots still even if it were only a new driver.  Being 160 yards out instead of 190 yards out, even if your irons are the exact same, will still end up being a different shot.

I think having to relearn shots is pretty much inevitable no matter what they do, so we'll see how this new ball goes.  If it sucks, hopefully they'll try something different.

• Mem11
    199 Posts
    Fri, Sep 24 2010 5:26 PM

CharlemagneRH:
    Meh... they will probably only be 20 credits more than what most legends are already using, whereas new clubs would require us to spend thousands of credits.

It's not just the cost, It's relearning and remembering all the new distances.  Sorry, I'm not one of those that has a photographic memory, nor do I plot and write down every shot I take and I'm not going to start now.

For me, Tiffer's calculation are much more realistic.  I currently use the GI2-S balls - 64 credits a sleeve.  If we take your assumption that the new balls will cost 150 credits and I use about 2 balls a day, then I will be paying an additional 86 credits a sleeve X 5 sleeves a week X 4 weeks for an additional monthly cost of 1,720 credits.  The current longest driver costs 1,395, I'm sure they could come up with a decent legend driver for 1,720.

There's no doubt, that in the long run WGT makes more if they can get everyone to buy into this, and I have no problem with them trying.  It just won't work with me.  I'll find something else to occupy my time...

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Fri, Sep 24 2010 5:40 PM

^

Those calculations were assuming that you were already using GI-SD balls, which are 112 credits a sleeve, making a 130-credit sleeve of balls an 18-credit increase.  If you are going from 64 credits to 130 credits a sleeve, then yes, a 1,000-credit increase is probably realistic... maybe even 1,200.

• Kaslo
    428 Posts
    Fri, Sep 24 2010 8:28 PM

can we stop the discussion and concentrate on the WHEN???? :) lol

RSS