Forums

Help › Forums

Tour Legend Secrets

Mon, Jun 6 2016 1:26 PM (89 replies)
  • alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Mon, Apr 28 2014 10:46 AM

Thus the putts per holes stat seems more accurate - edit - and meaningful.

And, IMHO, it's quite easy to tell the respective shares:

The fraction of 9 hole rounds is = 2 - <putts per round> / (9 * <putts per hole>)

Your's is around 51% ;->

• alexk345
    1,148 Posts
    Mon, Apr 28 2014 7:57 PM

Reason is simple. TL get closer to hole. So its easy one putt. When you are always above 20 feet ,..one putt percentage will be low. That said i never really wanted to post lowest score...i just play for time pass. I talk a lot but time pass. If i concentrate and i might go real low then i might lose interest in wgt . I play wgt game  just for fun.

• alexk345
    1,148 Posts
    Mon, Apr 28 2014 7:57 PM

Reason is simple. TL get closer to hole. So its easy one putt. When you are always above 20 feet ,..one putt percentage will be low. That said i never really wanted to post lowest score...i just play for time pass. I talk a lot but time pass. If i concentrate and i might go real low then i might lose interest in wgt . I play wgt game  just for fun.

• Fraenkel
    2,252 Posts
    Tue, Apr 29 2014 12:30 AM

BolloxInBruges:

You can't really learn much from the putts per round stat.  If one player does 80% 18 hole rounds and another player does 80% 9 hole rounds, the 9 hole guy is likely going to have a much better putts per round stats.

Not quite sure Bollox.

I play more than 10 games par days and, I mean the ones that rich you money, and I didn't find any real difference between 9 or 18 links and I'm talking about the great players, those that daily earn 50bucks. Maybe someone like me can take a vantage from this difference but it didn't happen everyday, it can happen while 5 to 10 games during the all week and it will considered a victory, all at the expense of pure concentration.

I repeat myself, costancy on results it's the only thing that I envy on great players. It's the same that I got  watching on your video Bollox, while I was starting to swing here on WGT, your name was all over the leaderbords and it will be last.

If costancy turn into skill, approaching goes to be the key. Close a putt steadily from an average distance to the hole between 9 to 5 feets in all games it's part of the real victory but for do that we must know the secret to approach with low average in any wind and green conditions.

Thank you guys. 

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Apr 29 2014 2:53 AM

BolloxInBruges:

MainzMan:

alexk345:

They hit better approach shots. better distance control. Putting not much difference

I sure don't see it that way.  I have an average distance to pin of 12 feet and have an average of 17.21 putts per round.  Even someone as good as Mags only lands the ball 2 feet closer on average but takes nearly 2 putts fewer per round, 15.61 to be exact.

You can't really learn much from the putts per round stat.  If one player does 80% 18 hole rounds and another player does 80% 9 hole rounds, the 9 hole guy is likely going to have a much better putts per round stats.

Statistics can lie as pointed out, but on several fronts, not least the clubs a player has used in the past and the number of completed rounds (how many WD do you see in a RG?) and dozens of restarts that protect averages.

Take my stats for example, if you look at them you will say I suck.......OK I am not a good example because I do suck at this game.

But as a player who used starters clubs for a year without knowing what the hell I was doing, makes a dent in precious stats. So all they are good for is an indication of a players strengths and weaknesses,

Now take Bollox, he is just an average player with OK stats. He has only had 33 HIO, 7 Double Eagles, more eagles and birdies than I have had hot dinners - OK I lied he is slightly better than an average player!

But looking at his stats vs mine, Bolloxs 1.29 puts per hole vs my 1.56 make a huge difference.

Overall Bollox sinks putts 10 feet and under 66% of the time  whereas I sink 56% in the same range. Obviously putting the ball closer to the pin helps  enormously  but the biggest difference is 1 putts 69% vs 44%.

Basically the short game makes a huge difference in this game, as it does on the real golf course, and the putting is where the top players excel.

Yes stats can lie, but when you play with a really good player you see the difference in every aspect of the game, especially approach shots, putting and awesome scrambling when needed - and they do it consistently.

I could play Bollox  tomorrow  and show him how it is done.........for one shot a round, but as I said, I suck t this game. 

• Tamsach
    2,823 Posts
    Tue, Apr 29 2014 3:02 AM

I'm not yet TL, but I thing that this game, once you have the right equipment and you know what to do, is 90% concentration. The 10% is WGT.  I've my own procedures, if I do right I get the ding and the result is good. If something distract me, my shot is bad. Yesterday I made an 9 holes round where 8 time I landed within 1ft of the flag, almost many eagles. The following round I scored 34... For all my life, concentration has been  my principal trouble! Bye

• Fraenkel
    2,252 Posts
    Tue, Oct 28 2014 1:43 AM

It's been passed several months, I have tried to "understand", to "seek", but nothing. Unfortunately I feel trapped in this sort fo limbo like so many TLs unlike a few others that can give to our community a daily constant (disarming, almost mechanical) to their victory statistics. An impressive consistency, daily.

A handful of champions that every day get a win percentage of 80% in any competition they may decide to enter at the expense of a lower percentage of WDs, for compensation. Daily, these champions show that the physical and mental declines of those who play online are a joke and that makes you laugh a lot, a lot but not prone to any change, daily.

No matter how many stars there are in this thread, the question is almost rhetorical, but what is the true secret of these champions. 

Obviously sarcastic, like see a donkey fly.

• ladyluck87
    2,287 Posts
    Tue, Oct 28 2014 3:37 AM

when i was in my legend days ...someone from my country club a very gifted player  

.a  Tour Legend shares her secret with me on how to win....here it is:-

Quote:

"Before you start playing everyday.. say this "PRAYER"

"This is my PUTTER. There are many like it, but this one is Mine.

My putter is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

My putter, without me, is useless. Without my putter, I am useless.

I must learn my putter true. I must putt better than my opponents who is trying to kill me.I must kill them before they kill me. I will...

My putter and I know that what counts in golf  is not the number of rounds we play, 

the noise from our big mouths,nor the approach shots we make. 

We know that it is the eagles and the birds that count. We will hit...

My putter is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a lover. 

I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its dings.

I will keep my putter clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...

Before God, I swear this creed. My putter and I are the defenders of my Country Club

We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until victory is Achieved and there is no more enemy, but Triumph

p.s:- incase you are wondering who teaches her this secret ...watch this video

• PRIESTESS
    10,703 Posts
    Tue, Oct 28 2014 4:23 AM

LOLOL, Spot on!!  Best players are best putters!!  simple as that!! You think they are bang on the money with approaches all the time>>  Wrong.!  They make the 12 - 25 footers that continue the birdie run!  Simple!!

• Fraenkel
    2,252 Posts
    Tue, Oct 28 2014 5:16 AM

Approach percentage is part of the key. Hole the 12 -25 footers putt isn't the key for a percentage rule if this is down by the 10%, different is if the main stats call an avg. distance to pin lower then 10 feets.

A 10 feets putt session is different to the 12 - 25 feets, its a gear up, not a real secret.

Doubt, of course.

RSS