Forums

Help › Forums

Tour Legend Secrets

Mon, Jun 6 2016 1:26 PM (89 replies)
  • renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Sun, Apr 20 2014 8:24 AM

As the perpetual Hack Legend I have no help to offer. If I could putt I would be a force to reckon with, instead of a Wreck some players are forced to play with. Just have fun and be Happy don't worry.

• Fraenkel
    2,252 Posts
    Mon, Apr 21 2014 11:26 PM

WoodenHands:

I wish i knew some TL secrets too .

Some days things go well , most days they don't  , but i keep on trying in the hope that the good days will eventually outnumber the bad ones . 

You know mate, I really enjoy and appreciate your wall post. Score a 54 at Cabo it was only a shot of fortune. Entered thinking it goes for a B9 but after the first hole I understand that sometimes, even on WGT, someone drink gasoline.

By the way, it's my second 54's and maybe my first win in a weekly tour, but I'm pretty sure that I didn't learn the secrets yet, maybe the secret is costancy on scores and if I have to squeeze my balls ev'ry links like the one at Cabo, it will be real hard.

I want to thanks again all you fellas that share this thread with me. 

David.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Apr 22 2014 2:30 AM

Fraenkel:
    Score a 54 at Cabo

Wow David, great shooting so I was going to ask whether you would tell us the secret.......but then I saw the next full 18 was a 66 LOL - so you are human.

I have only managed one 54 and for the life of me cannot understand how I did it, so cherish that moment Davide, who knows when (or in my case, IF) the next great score is coming.

• TDSLIMIT
    409 Posts
    Tue, Apr 22 2014 3:25 AM

Here is a Tip.   Take notes on all courses.  Back 2 years ago I was taking notes on almost every hole.    This can be very effective for approach shots.   As I mean those who have played certain courses a many times know.  There is a pattern to a lot of these shots.   I use to use notes as a advantage on brand new courses.  It helped a lot.  When a new course comes out on WGT I like to go and play and play it a lot and take notes.  That is a way to get a small advantage on some other players who go by memory only.   Once you have hit 3 or 4 approaches on every hole you will have a good set of notes for winds, elevation, etc.    The trick is once you have hit the ball real close to the pin.  That's when you want to record that note.  As you can refer back to it in hopes the wind is doing the same thing.    I use this for match play challenges and skins play to get a small advantage also.  And if you check my MP stats you will see   IT WORKS.    Good Luck   Donnie 

• TDSLIMIT
    409 Posts
    Tue, Apr 22 2014 3:41 AM

Example.         Royal St George  Front 9

Hole 1:   was 158 yards away on approach   wind 13<   says 7ft.Uphill .   I used the 155 iron  hit it 99 %  3/4 backspin.   was great shot  3.5ft away

was 176 away on approach   wind 17  in face. says 4 ft downhill.   Used 185 iron full power  barely any backspin.  was great shot  4.1 feet away.  

Hole 2:     was  128 yards away on approach  wind 9>  used 125 iron hit full power spin just under nike ball number 1.     was great shot. 

Hole 3:  Trick drive hole  use full top spin hit 99%.  (don't go full power hit just before 100%)  and ball kicks off fescue and rolls forward...

Etc.  Etc.   

I Leave space under each hole for about 3 or 4  extra notes so I can get notes on a few different wind directions because winds change.  

I use to have a binder notebook full of notes on every course just like this.    But during a 5 month break I tossed em all out.   They were priceless.  As like I said before there is a pattern to a lot of these shots.  Once you have hit  them 100 times   its like you can do it blind folded.  LOL    GL    hope it helps.        Donnie 

• Steve2golf
    930 Posts
    Tue, Apr 22 2014 5:35 AM

TDSLIMIT:
    Here is a Tip.   Take notes on all courses. ..........et al

Great tip, but seen it many times before, in addition you are making an assumption that there is no difference in playing as a TL and a L.

I beg to differ, but it is only my experience, Legend was no big deal from TM again IMHO, the biggest jump I have encountered here was Legend to to TL.

Maybe it was timing of the jump, who knows, but certainly what I noticed was the almost complete lack of ability to get the ball close consistently and the complete lack of ability to land it in a preferred spot for the easier putt, hence my suggestion, just give it up, it's not going to happen consistently anyway, and just make the putt.

You can wait and see, my notes I used to rely on, are by now at the bottom of the atlantic.

• Fraenkel
    2,252 Posts
    Tue, Apr 22 2014 2:35 PM

alanti:

Fraenkel:
    Score a 54 at Cabo

But then I saw the next full 18 was a 66 so you are human.

Great one Alan, you got me mate, who I'm kidding. Just a score out of my b**t.

Still laughing.

By the way, thank you all again guys and thanks for the tip of get a tab for notes on each holes but I didn't need it untill now and I think I will never get the time to write the report for the links played.

Play with memory and no secrets yet, still enjoy and get fun when play.

After some pages done I think I get my personal conclusion of my own thread: the real secret is to share and had pleasure to been there in this community which can understand the small satisfactions that comes with a small player at the expense of results much more continuous and remarkable by the big guns.

With respect.

David. 

• Joshnosh
    548 Posts
    Thu, Apr 24 2014 2:53 AM

best thing to do is land it in the hole every time lol :) 

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Thu, Apr 24 2014 5:55 PM

Fraenkel:
    Play with memory and no secrets yet, still enjoy and get fun when play

I seen that 54 in the Leaderboard.  Congrats David, that's a great score.  See you can get the low 50's.....lol.

I also play from just memory for every shot. and enjoying it too.

All the tips have been very good, Steves tip on mapping is a no brainer...  with clubs or balls....  For every club, different spin options can result in different yardages.  Instead of using a longer club and have a shorter shot on meter....   use a club lower and use top/back or no spin for that extra yardage.

All depends on how good you want to get...  don't get me wrong at saying that...  I can map out everything and maybe shoot really low scores...  then I might get bored and discouraged...then what...lol (I know...  slap me...lol)   I quite happy to plod along and if I get those low scores...  then it's a fist pump time....lol

Everytime you get promoted, the game gets harder to play... Like a rollercoaster ride. We see it all the time when people get annoyed when they get promoted and the shots they were doing are not as good as before.

Tm to Legend is hard because of the extra distance in approach shots.

Legend to TL is no different, except for Champ Speed greens in Multi player or Some Comps....  Everybody should have an Idea about Champs before they get promoted to TL...  if not.. start playing games with TL's.

There is another difference too,  TL's have no forgiveness in any shot... compared to other Tiers. Saying that...  I still miss the ding on purpose and end up being a good shot.    In certain situations...  missing the ding, is the best shot with Tee and Iron Shots

Apart from putting....    the good players know how to get out of trouble... compared to people from lower Tiers (no offence, just saying). or don't get into trouble....  as in tee to green.

-Roger

• Fraenkel
    2,252 Posts
    Sun, Apr 27 2014 2:12 AM

Agree one hundred percent Roger.

I think play for memory could be consider a challenge into the challenge apart from the fact that Tour Legend, as you said, have no forgiveness in any shot and every game, even if you play the same game twice, will not be the same.

The secret that most envy to the big guns is definitely the consistency of the result with an average fixed along the long walk link that comes close to my 54, the second in two years and a half.

I think wins help but without a hint of competition the risk is to getting tired.
    I love the way my virtual carrer going 'till know, so I keep mine entertainment.

David.

RSS