Forums

Help › Forums

Tour Legend Secrets

Mon, Jun 6 2016 1:26 PM (89 replies)
  • Fraenkel
    2,252 Posts
    Fri, Apr 18 2014 2:15 AM

Oh well, unfortunately I do not have any secret to share, but rather, after almost a year of moving to Legend Tour, I think I need some suggestions to bring down my average to set me up to do some extra credit, not the usual to try to recover the costs of Nikes, something to make me switch from the status of mediocrity in which I feel.

I am fortunate to be able to play a couple of hours during a day but in all this there is also a bit of happy frustration. I do not got an excellent showcase so when I manage to win a few major trophy against the big boys my frustration is room for complacency.

After a year I still have not figured out what the requirements to have scores that lead to important and have and keep costantly average around 54 but above that repay the money invested into balls. Definitely a fast network connection helps but there is one more opportunity that still not clear to me, surely the thread for help as the Putting Clinic and Putting Techniques have been a great help but the secret is winning only approach.

I'm not so frustrated as the title, but I would find out a few secrets.

I think a new tier is required, something between Tour Legend and Legend, something like "Never say Never": just kidding, top players deserve to be at top of standings, but every now and then exploits would be appreciated, personally.

Ciao,
    David. 

• suncity28
    1,266 Posts
    Fri, Apr 18 2014 2:25 AM

In regards to average "don`t worry about it" not s true indication of a player. Like you i don`t have much time these days and can go months with out playing and really just play for fun if i have a few mins to fit the time in to play a round.

Put me in the never say never tier.

Good topic hope a few more chime in with advice etc etc

• Steve2golf
    930 Posts
    Fri, Apr 18 2014 4:01 AM

Fraenkel:
    surely the thread for help as the Putting Clinic and Putting Techniques have been a great help but the secret is winning only approach.

Well as a struggling TL, I believed the answer to get the scores lower to compete at this level was approach shots, get closer to the hole. The shots I could rely on coming up to get close to the hole and tap in the bird were now gone. Frustration followed and unfortunatly, far to often, and just enough to knock you out of the running, those shots are just not going to happen anymore. You can ding, miss ding, map and remap, change balls, change clubs, change spin preference, take notes, but best advice I could give If i had to do it all over, forget about all that. Absolutely all rubbish and a total waste of time at this level, sure, it works and is good advice for all lower levels, but there comes a time, when it has to be all pitched into the bin IMHO.

I figured the only way I was going to improve now was I needed to go on a multi month mission to work on and focus on putting. I did, it is slow, often painful, but slowly my putting does feel like it is improving and my stats are slowly climbing. I have all but given  up on getting it close to the hole on approach, and just make the best shot I can based on what I already know and live with whatever the result. I've been there done that at this stage, so if the game cooperates, I might get close. But it is not going to cooperate hole after hole, shot after shot, round after round.

Now, what I do different is I will concentrate on the putt, take my time, give it my full attention, study the miss, study the make and try to cement the result into memory. Develop a feel is the key IMHO.

Personally I do not care about scoring average, my putting stats are the ones I have watched closely. The scoring average is easy to lower by picking the right course and conditions and of course eventual saturation, means absolutly bugger all in my books.

So there you go, I'm no great, never will be, but I try hard, work hard, wish harder and do good enough.

• Fraenkel
    2,252 Posts
    Fri, Apr 18 2014 5:33 AM

Maybe this thread will be good only for me and you mate, thanks for reading.

Maybe the "Never say Never" tier will be awesome indeed.

• Adalanar
    282 Posts
    Fri, Apr 18 2014 10:32 AM

getting it close is nice but more important seems to be getting it to the spots where putting is easy - I can see guys hole it from everywhere and I get frustrated. But thinking about their putts - they had a rather good line.

playing the right shots into the green and then putting is key - old news - sorry

Cheers

• Fraenkel
    2,252 Posts
    Fri, Apr 18 2014 11:05 AM

Thanks all of You Guys,

Thanks for share feelings and same frustration, personal and appreciate.

David.

• WoodenHands
    526 Posts
    Fri, Apr 18 2014 11:44 AM

I wish i knew some TL secrets too .

Some days things go well , most days they don't  , but i keep on trying in the hope that the good days will eventually outnumber the bad ones . 

• SOYEL1
    698 Posts
    Fri, Apr 18 2014 12:00 PM

I can shoot a 28 now and a 34 in the next round. Make an incredible putt and miss a 4 footer. Maybe I am to blame because I spent months in the darkness(didn't play). Bought a new putter and all clubs and find that the only differences the new putter makes is that I can make less putts, and I am around 30 bucks poorer. 

I have always played by "feel" so being out so long made me forget my mental notes. Will get there anyway, when WGT lets me.

• Fraenkel
    2,252 Posts
    Fri, Apr 18 2014 2:53 PM

Play only by feel, that's so damn true and harder to change.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Apr 18 2014 8:52 PM

Steve2golf:
    I figured the only way I was going to improve now was I needed to go on a multi month mission to work on and focus on putting

Good Point 

I find from Tee to Green, most players in the Tier are the same.

The big difference is on the greens...  The good players don't always nail their approach shots, but they sink those 20ft putts.

I'm still working on getting the ball closer to the Pin, but if i don't, then I try to stop the ball in a place for an easy putt.

I've played more than 500 R/Rounds as TL and I'm now struggling to break 30/60. The Game is alot tougher for me now than it was when I first got promoted.

Maybe the secret is not to get too frustrated and not to try too hard and Just have Fun.

-Roger

RSS