Forums

Help › Forums

Big Berthas

Wed, Jun 4 2014 8:29 AM (134 replies)
  • Udo1
    123 Posts
    Thu, Mar 27 2014 11:48 PM

After reading the posts here I bought the BB 3W yesterday and played Kiawah B9 two times. On the first par 5 I was able to hit the 2nd ball to the green with a slight head wind, something which I never managed with the TM R11s 3W. The lack of forgiveness compared between those 2 is no problem, but the slower meter and the additional spin of the BB 3W are a great plus. I cannot give you actual numbers for stopping distances but I can recommend buying this 3W.

Any thoughts on the BB Alpha driver out there? According to the stats it should be similar to the lvl 100 Nike. Can anyone approve this?

• IRISHPUNK
    4,019 Posts
    Fri, Mar 28 2014 5:00 AM

sue333318:

level 89 3w - smooth as silk and a bit more forgiving than the R11s - this will stay in the bag and goodbye to the latter.

My thoughts exactly.  

D.

• chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Fri, Mar 28 2014 5:06 AM

The driver is identical to the R1 or even R11, you wouldn't notice you had a new driver if it wasn't for the icon bottom left.  But the 3 wood is amazing.  Will take a while to re adjust distances for long par 3's such as RSG par 3's or Congressional 2 in headwind because this 3 wood FLIES.  The more i play with driver against players with R1, you do notice the big bertha out driving R1 in headwind or tailwind (as long as you use 3/4 spin).  if you dont use spin similar to the R1, the Big Bertha does not reach Its full potential

WOW, just played Olympic #7 in 8 mph right to left wind, my BIG BERTHA landed ball right on the top shelf of green next to pin without bouncing below, yet my opponent with R1 bounced on bottom part of green and into rough.  THE DRIVER IS AMAZING TOO

• Talluin
    257 Posts
    Fri, Mar 28 2014 5:17 AM

chrisironsbones:

The driver is identical to the R1 or even R11, you wouldn't notice you had a new driver if it wasn't for the icon bottom left.  But the 3 wood is amazing.  Will take a while to re adjust distances for long par 3's such as RSG par 3's or Congressional 2 in headwind because this 3 wood FLIES

Haven't got the R1 Driver so can't even comment on the Driver but I have to agree with Chris, Sue and many others.. the 3w is simply divine!!

It seems built for Merion and I daresay plenty more once i get out and about :)

p.s thanks Sue for your detailed pm!

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, Mar 28 2014 5:57 AM

chrisironsbones:
    WOW, just played Olympic #7 in 8 mph right to left wind, my BIG BERTHA landed ball right on the top shelf of green next to pin without bouncing below, yet my opponent with R1 bounced on bottom part of green and into rough.  THE DRIVER IS AMAZING TOO

OK first the 3 wood.  I took the plunge and agree as much as a 3 wood can make a difference this one will. Whatever that really is in the mix not sure, but it's very desirable and a nice to have. I agree with all the good talk about it 100%. Great job some one:)

I am not sitting on the vast quantity of credits that some round here are so before swapping out the R1, for the Big Bertha driver, a ? for my clarity of thought if I may:

Are saying that in your opinion the new Big Bertha DRIVER can do everything the R1 can all conditions, but also a little extra sometimes?

Thanks in advance:)

• Spammage
    694 Posts
    Fri, Mar 28 2014 6:44 AM

I agree on the 3-wood - very nice (so far).  

Based on statistics the BB Alpha is basically the same as the Nike Covert which I have but I'm still curious.  Can someone post a screenshot or short video of it?  I'm all about the look LOL.

• chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Fri, Mar 28 2014 7:38 AM

Jimbog1964:
    Are saying that in your opinion the new Big Bertha DRIVER can do everything the R1 can all conditions, but also a little extra sometimes?

I can only go on what i witnessed.  My opponent and myself had identical balls and he had R1 and I had Bertha.  I landed on top shelf of Olympic #7 his ball landed on bottom of green, we both used spin.  Maybe It was just plain old WGT controlled deviation.  We all know one player might get a longer drive one hole only for wgt to return favor to opponent on another hole.  Who knows, but landing on top shelf without tailwind I thought was pretty impressive.

• Jresh0817
    1,414 Posts
    Fri, Mar 28 2014 9:06 AM

I have to disagree...missed ding by a pixel and lost $2.33 ball on par 3 hole at Congressional ....very nice club, if you hit the DING...but level 94 R11-S is much more forgiving!!

J

IRISHPUNK:

sue333318:

level 89 3w - smooth as silk and a bit more forgiving than the R11s - this will stay in the bag and goodbye to the latter.

My thoughts exactly.  

D.

• Andrewlacey1965
    1 Posts
    Fri, Mar 28 2014 9:11 AM

This game looks fantastic - but the putting is crap, this is the only area of the game which is a let down - any advice or ideas how I can improve - and yes I have played golf games before and watched the videos - but putting in this game is the worst I have ever played.

such a shame cos it spoils what is a good game

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, Mar 28 2014 9:29 AM

chrisironsbones:
    I can only go on what i witnessed.

Sure thing and thanks for the thought's.  I have the Big Bertha 3 wood, and maybe that is enough new shiny stuff for now.  If I was convinced it was always at least as good as the R1, but just sometimes might have the extra ace up its sleeve I would be tempted for sure, whether I need it or not in reality lol.  Think I would have to be convinced it was also at least all that the L100 Nike is too bearing in mind I have never had a complaint about the R1 - well not until you said about driving that upper level lol

Very satisfying shot for you though any way- well played.

RSS