3w BB is perfect for #2 and #3 merion

Both long par 3s on RSG into headwinds

Probably other holes I haven't played yet too

The extra spin is a major +

• chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Thu, Mar 27 2014 1:32 PM

borntobesting:
    And that 5 extra yards is more like 8 to 10. On # 4 at Merion with  13 mph tail wind with the Level 100+ Nike Driver and the Big Bertha 3 wood using full B/S on the 3 wood approach I reached the front edge of the green. It landed very soft and and didn't get more than a yard or 2 roll out. A little less B/S on that shot and it most likely would have been very close to the pin. In all the time Merion has been out I never cleared the water on the second shot on the fly except in a couple of special tourneys that were played from shorter tees. 

I've managed to reach the green a hand full of times with tailwind with R1 and r 11, yes a few times more with a lucky bounce over the water, but its possible any way, but even more so know with the new 3 wood and driver

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Thu, Mar 27 2014 1:40 PM

I don't know if anyone has eagled Merion 4 putting, and in any event it would be rarer than an albatross- and not sure it is any easier making birdie if you are only on the front of the green...before we all go gaga over a longer 3 wood- let's see how it works out- that 2.5 precision and more spin could easily ruin your day...just as easily as it could make it-classic risk/reward- so bravo WGT for not simply making the game easier with no downside...

• Tamsach
    2,823 Posts
    Thu, Mar 27 2014 5:53 PM

Bought the driver and it seems to me better than the R11s I had. i don't want to leave my excellent Ping20 for that 5 yards, maybe usefull in some few holes and only with head wind. I saw, so many time, the shots with Ping20 going farer than the other 3w that I won't change it for ever! lol Bye

• Chinajohn
    1,190 Posts
    Thu, Mar 27 2014 7:33 PM

I'm extremely tempted by the BB 3W, the extra distance is slightly tempting but that extra spin is the thing.

My R11S 3W with Nike L71 with full BS will land and stop dead from the tees at 245 yards but from the fairway lands at around 236 and stops at 245. ( on the flat no wind etc).

I would be VERY interested to hear any comparisons on the fairway landing and stopping distances. I think those figures are going to be key for me, the extra 5 yards, I can probably take or leave.

• bluzgolf
    1,072 Posts
    Thu, Mar 27 2014 8:53 PM

On Merion #2, when using the R11s, if trying to land the green I'd roll long or off.  With the Big Bertha and a 5 mph Twind my shot landed short of the pin 2 for 2.  (I was off champion tees.)  Eagle once, blew it once.

Chinajohn:

I'm extremely tempted by the BB 3W, the extra distance is slightly tempting but that extra spin is the thing.

My R11S 3W with Nike L71 with full BS will land and stop dead from the tees at 245 yards but from the fairway lands at around 236 and stops at 245. ( on the flat no wind etc).

I would be VERY interested to hear any comparisons on the fairway landing and stopping distances. I think those figures are going to be key for me, the extra 5 yards, I can probably take or leave.

• BigInigoMontoya
    208 Posts
    Thu, Mar 27 2014 10:18 PM

Anyone have a pic of the Bertha 3wood in action???  I'm seriously considering getting one, but if its ugly as sin in game that just might be a deal breaker for me.

• boeling
    320 Posts
    Thu, Mar 27 2014 10:42 PM

nice ,  Forgive 2.5 point  bad,  spin 1.5 point   good

i   like  it 

But i can't make ding  never  time  

:) 

• mmyers0
    478 Posts
    Thu, Mar 27 2014 10:50 PM

Wow. I'm glad I didn't immediately splurge on the MAX 3-wood when I hit level 92 last week.

For those of us between levels 90 and 96 (which is something like a million XP), this 3-wood is huge. For those of you at 96 and above, I'm sure you can console yourselves with the R1 and Big Bertha Alpha.

• spdemon
    1,588 Posts
    Thu, Mar 27 2014 11:11 PM

BigInigoMontoya:

Anyone have a pic of the Bertha 3wood in action???  I'm seriously considering getting one, but if its ugly as sin in game that just might be a deal breaker for me.

here ya go bro hard to tell the difference in it and the driver lol

RSS