Forums

Help › Forums

Big Berthas

Wed, Jun 4 2014 8:29 AM (134 replies)
  • mukbrain
    225 Posts
    Fri, Mar 28 2014 9:03 PM

Steven1163:

Hey Sue, did you use the 92 Max 3 wood?  If you did, how does it compare?  That low forgiveness has me doubting its consistency...

~Steven~

I am not Sue, but I have used the MAX 3W at L92, it is slightly more forgiving, but a tick less precise compared to the BB.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Mar 28 2014 10:51 PM

I was using the L100 Nike Driver...  good club,  but you lose alot of distance compared to the R1 Driver. The High trajectory of the Nike is a plus though... depending on what course you use it on.

I would say... stick to the R1 if you have it, instead of the Bertha Driver

The Bertha 3wood is the club to get.  I think it's better than the R11(s) 3wood and fully recommended.  It's got less foregiveness though, so you have to be cafeful when missing the Ding.  I should say the Foregiveness varies on different courses...  eg; Merion has Less Forgiveness than St.A.   

if you trouble hitting the ding... then stick to the R11(s).  If not get the Bertha 3wood and well worth the money to get it.....  actually I'm surprised at the price, considering the cost of all the other new clubs....lol.   Thx Wgt.

Just speaking about the Top Level Clubs...  I have no Idea about the Lower Level ones

Have Fun All

-Roger.

• Steven1163
    2,912 Posts
    Fri, Mar 28 2014 11:18 PM

mukbrain:

Steven1163:

Hey Sue, did you use the 92 Max 3 wood?  If you did, how does it compare?  That low forgiveness has me doubting its consistency...

~Steven~

I am not Sue, but I have used the MAX 3W at L92, it is slightly more forgiving, but a tick less precise compared to the BB.

Lmao!!  sorry about that...I clicked on the wrong one...yea that is the wood I was referring to...thanks for your feedback...I just rented it to see how good it is....prolly buy it outright when my rental runs out..

~Steven~

• lisalovesthesun
    185 Posts
    Sat, Mar 29 2014 7:53 AM

courteneyfish:
    Any feedback?

Lets you do things with Max balls I've not seen before. 

This using only half Backspin.

replay.aspx?ID=5fada57d cec6 47f5 a449 a2fd00f3f964

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Sat, Mar 29 2014 8:11 AM

I went ahead and bought it (BB 3 wood) on the premise that there is no substitute for 'longer'. The slower meter offsets the lower foregiveness somewhat- it's pretty easy to ding.

Testing on KIA 1 tee box, slight downwind consistently went 280 no spin change. Same conditions with full backspin, about 255, half bs 265. so take 5 yards off those numbers for 'flat' conditions. R11s is 265/245/255, so Bertha is a good 5-10 yards longer off the tee, if not more.

About 5 yards less off the fairway- however this club comes into its own a) into the wind; b) when you can take advantage of the spin- as in the replay above. No fairway wood is ever a major 'game changer' however this one does provide an advantage in certain circumstances that other 3 woods just can't quite match.

Just do not off-ding on the wrong side of the wind when trouble lurks there-  such as -again- the above replay on Congo par 5, water right. 

• Steven1163
    2,912 Posts
    Sat, Mar 29 2014 11:04 AM

I have rented that Big Bertha 3 wood, and I must say.....its every bit as good as the 92 Max 3 wood... a hair quicker...but....still great...I have dinged it every time I used it....I haven't noticed any dramatic difference in forgiveness...

~Steven~

• Steven1163
    2,912 Posts
    Sat, Mar 29 2014 8:19 PM

Has anybody tried the 96 Big Bertha?  Kinda curious how it plays.

~Steven~

• Spammage
    694 Posts
    Sat, Mar 29 2014 8:37 PM

Steven1163:

I have dinged it every time I used it....I haven't noticed any dramatic difference in forgiveness...

~Steven~

That is why you haven't noticed any loss of forgiveness.  So far for me misses close to the ding line (1/16 inch or so) are okay and probably more forgiving than the R11S, but.....if you miss the ding badly (1/4 inch) or so get ready to be 20 yards off line and well short also.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Sat, Mar 29 2014 9:04 PM

Good club, long and sticks better than R11's, especially long off of tee...perfect for Merion #3

Nowhere near as forgiving as R11s but the meter is so slow it is almost impossible to miss the ding by much without meter problems...

now when you do miss it into a headwind off the tee as I did purposely your screwed....

I like it, I can see where it would the nutz on a lot of holes, I can also see where it might kick you in the nutz on some too...it's in my bag but keeping the R11s for certain courses...

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Sat, Mar 29 2014 9:17 PM

Not many opinions on the driver yet, Chris is obviously a fan but it looks like most people are reluctant to part with all those credits when they already have the R1 in their bag.

As a self confessed gear freak I'd be interested to hear from others who have tried it......

RSS