Forums

Help › Forums

Idea for parallel Starters Virtual Tour

Tue, Mar 15 2016 2:58 PM (147 replies)
  • CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Sat, Mar 15 2014 5:54 PM

Well I'm back to challenge anyone to beat my score. Played the Nike RZN Precision Challenge with starter clubs and ball on Merion. Wow was it brutal. The Championship Speed greens for Legend Tier took their toll on me and my scorecard. At least the wind was low for Legend Tier. I had to hit to the forward ladies tee on several holes including a par 3 to get around in one piece. Obviously the clubs have no real chance in these conditions on this course so thinking a way to make bogies, and not worse, on many holes was the key. As usual I missed 2 good putts but made 2 unusual ones to level the card out. Finished with a sporting 77 and didn't rip what's left of my hair out. Once again I feel the killer putters can beat my go but it's pretty nerve racking once you're out there doing it. The tale of woe below.....

~CD~

• CMcCartney727
    1,417 Posts
    Sat, Mar 15 2014 6:18 PM

You're a better man than I am, CD.  Merion frustrates the hell out of me with good clubs on champ greens.  I'd rather put a sharp stick in my eye than try this with starter equipment!

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sun, Mar 16 2014 6:49 AM

CerinoDevoti:
    Played the Dicks Sporting Goods thing as well with starters and ball on Bethpage. Wow is that hard from the tips and Championship Greens in Legend Tier.

Well, I managed to get my attempt in yesterday just before the tourney closed, and I agree, BPB with Champ greens from the tips is quite the challenge. I reckon par is doable with quite a bit of luck or a great putting day.

I counted about 5 holes that were realistic GIR ones, 4 where you could get within flop range, and 9 where I had to get up and down with full wedge or (much) more for par. So, a lot comes down to how well you know your distances for that crucial 3rd shot for the up and down: I made a mess of too many of them, leaving no chance for par on 7, 10, 13, and 15, while on 12 I was coming from 190 anyway for my 3rd! (On 13 I got a headwind, btw, and didn't clear the rough on the tee shot, otherwise I'd count that hole as a probable GIR possibility and much easier par as a result).

I can't complain about my putting day, getting 93 total distance made with the starter putter, but one very annoying 6 footer for par miss on #4 hurt! I did sink 16 ft for bird on #6, and 17ft for bird on #8, and several other 10-15 foot ones for par, so not at all bad.

Sorry I forgot to take the full bag shot on the last green... too much focus on whether or not I could make this slippery 14ft downhiller to pip Cerino, lol!

Looking forward to the Merion one next!

• bhoese
    679 Posts
    Sun, Mar 16 2014 3:35 PM

CD, that 77 ain't bad at all.  I shot an 85.  8 GIR for me as well, but I don't recall a single time when I thought I had a decent chance at birdie.  

I had four 1-putts the entire round:  one for par (12th, a sand save that would have been impossible in UEL), one for a double (4th, after getting hung up in 70-80 in front of the green),  one for a triple (15th, rough-sand-fairway still 90 yds out -  off the front-off the front again-up and down), and one that didn't even end up in the hole, but actually the rough inside the bend on the 9th

Other than that, my best shots of the round were putts that I left within 2 feet of the hole.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Mon, Mar 17 2014 7:49 AM

Thanks Ben I still find the Champ Speed greens a real grind when playing chip and pitch shots without constant playing that green speed.  The putting I can handle to some degree with a calculator. Looking at your replay it appears the TL's have Heavy Wind. Is that right? If so I can understand getting beaten down with the starters. The low wind was never greater than 7mph for me.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Mon, Mar 17 2014 7:57 AM

CMcCartney727:

You're a better man than I am, CD.  Merion frustrates the hell out of me with good clubs on champ greens.  I'd rather put a sharp stick in my eye than try this with starter equipment!

Perhaps just more crazy and stubborn than better? Sometimes I play the game without logging in and use the EZ Swing Clubs from the tips. ;)

My favorite parkland courses are Merion and Olympic here. They both play with devastating brutality when using the starter clubs and ball from the tips. We have to know when to play at the hole or just play to the green openings and end up in the center of greens with long putts. Kinda like it that way. lol

• CMcCartney727
    1,417 Posts
    Mon, Mar 17 2014 6:27 PM

CerinoDevoti:

Perhaps just more crazy and stubborn ? 

My favorite parkland courses are Merion and Olympic 

You are a masochist...lol.  The two courses you mentioned are my least favorite in this game.  I would not have the patience to play a full round on those courses with starter clubs.  I'd need a rubber room after that!

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Mar 18 2014 5:10 PM

CerinoDevoti:
    Well I'm back to challenge anyone to beat my score. Played the Nike RZN Precision Challenge with starter clubs and ball on Merion. Wow was it brutal. The Championship Speed greens for Legend Tier took their toll on me and my scorecard. At least the wind was low for Legend Tier. I had to hit to the forward ladies tee on several holes including a par 3 to get around in one piece. Obviously the clubs have no real chance in these conditions on this course so thinking a way to make bogies, and not worse, on many holes was the key. As usual I missed 2 good putts but made 2 unusual ones to level the card out. Finished with a sporting 77 and didn't rip what's left of my hair out. Once again I feel the killer putters can beat my go but it's pretty nerve racking once you're out there doing it. The tale of woe below.....

~CD~

bhoese:
    CD, that 77 ain't bad at all.  I shot an 85.  8 GIR for me as well, but I don't recall a single time when I thought I had a decent chance at birdie.  

I had four 1-putts the entire round:  one for par (12th, a sand save that would have been impossible in UEL), one for a double (4th, after getting hung up in 70-80 in front of the green),  one for a triple (15th, rough-sand-fairway still 90 yds out -  off the front-off the front again-up and down), and one that didn't even end up in the hole, but actually the rough inside the bend on the 9th.

Wow! Is that a fantastic test or what?!!! Par is not impossible but would be a stunning achievement IMO.

Ben: what an intriguing description of your adventure on #9... you certainly made me think! ... tough break to get the back pin setting up that 2nd shot dilemma.

I'm very impressed with your 77 Cerino...  I managed 79 today, tackling it mostly in an experimental frame of mind, so taking more risks than was prudent. It shows in my card: I somehow made 5 birdies but didn't take notice of CD's advice above, that what really saves a score here is limiting the damage on holes that you can't realistically par. 

Having had this experience, I would say that birdies are potentially possible on #2, #8, #9 (with front pin; this was my Driver tee shot that got me one), #10 with a good putt like this one, since with back pin you'll inevitably be off to the right), #11 (perhaps the easiest of the bunch), #13 (especially if you have a headwind to help stop the tee shot), and that's it, unless you get some helping wind and can make a long enough tee shot on #16 to hit a high Hybrid that rolls back down the hill close to the front pin; I had to use the right fairway to leave a wedge approach to make par there).

I missed a stupid short put on #5 for double, and just wasn't thinking on #3 where I played to front tee, then still left 2nd short, and then 4-putted, lol. Had a bad 3-putt at #7 too. I made a total mess of #12: found rough off tee, hit 3rd way long, putted off green from 27 ft past 13 down, chip almost saved bogey but not quite...

CD: did you play to the front tee on #17 (or on #3)? I went for the front rough on 17 but caught weeds and careened forward. A great punch out left me 7ft to save, but I missed it :(

The last was quite an adventure... and might have been a fantastic par. Sadly I missed the front tee box with my drive, pushing it right. Decided to pitch sideways to get the tee again, then hit a corking drive that caught the downslope and went 240+. And the approach was a thing of beauty, one of those sublime starter shots that are so much more satisfying than a spinning dart (160 full bs hit @ 95% to land just in the right spot and take the contours perfectly to leave a simple 3ft uphiller).

P.S. Hey, I just looked at our cards side-by-side, and even lacking Ben's card, our best-ball would have been +1, pretty damn impressive given the conditions. 

Perhaps that's another way we can look at these challenges, see which of us can shoot closest to par, but also see if collectively we can manage a best-ball score of par or better. 

Essentially, that was the concept behind the pairs Tough-It-Out from the Tips proposal. Only this can now be a community effort, lol!

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Tue, Mar 18 2014 7:04 PM

@Corwyn

I'll try to remember what I can while looking at my card.. On #3(par 3) I played to the front tee then also came up short of the green foolishly. Got up and down for bogey and was happy with it. On #17(par3) I hit driver short in the rough. It seemed like the shot in the CTTH back 9 on Merion. I hit to the green from there and made a bogey I could live with. I also had to lay up to the right fairway on #16 and made a really nice par. Loved that play and was extremely happy about it. Had the back pin on #5 and the front pin on #6. Played both with bogey in mind and stole a par from #6 to my great delight. 2 putted  #15 but had a pitch shot back onto the green in between the putts. Pretty much a mess of it.  Lay'd up to the ladies tee on #18 and played to a bogey from there. What happened on the other holes was either boring or something I'd rather forget I suppose. I'd say a very well played 73 is possible but not lower.

I play and forget my rounds mostly unless I make some notes of shots I want to talk about. You tend to have a relationship with each of your rounds. Where you keep all those family photos (replays) I'll never know. nyuck nyuck nyuck ;)))

~CD~

P.S. Just compared our stats. We both had the same % of Fairways and Greens in reg, 30% scrambling and 29 putts each. I had better ave distance to the hole and you had greater total putting distance and made a bomb. We would be hard pressed to be beaten in better ball pard. :)))

• CMcCartney727
    1,417 Posts
    Tue, Mar 18 2014 8:43 PM

Gave this a go... parred the first 2, and I had this for bogey on 3 after laying up to the front tee.  Has anyone ever missed a straight in putt from 6 inches before?  No brain fart on the 30 foot putter range.. just another donk putt in this game..  I've never seen a violent lipout from 6 inches before.. hehehe...

replay.aspx?ID=98136246 05e3 4d31 8d9e a2f3003c2c37

RSS