Forums

Help › Forums

Idea for parallel Starters Virtual Tour

Tue, Mar 15 2016 2:58 PM (147 replies)
  • MatildaIgaly
    1,822 Posts
    Mon, Jan 5 2015 11:38 PM

Corwyn:
    The only condition is that you have to share a screenshot of card and stats as well as a greenshot on one of the final holes showing the full bag of clubs used.

The whole taking screenshots part is a real turn off for me. Sure, for a few rounds but doing it over and over gets to much. 

WGT has to get involved and do a setup just as they did with A Bandon hope. I would deffo play that and i know a few others that would too.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Jan 6 2015 12:10 AM

Cerino: so sorry to hear of the ongoing game loading issues...  :(

Ben: what a great idea! I'm looking forward to tackling the Bo5 Monthly.

Mati: Yes, I can totally understand the screenshot annoyance, Mati. This thread is primarily about setting some fun challenges amongst trusted friends, so we'd love to have you involved even if you don't take the screenshots.

But of course, if we did make a year-long Tour out of it (less than perfect anyway, given that we're using unlimited rounds as our basis), and if sponsors were putting up prizes, we'd have to have proof of equipment.

However, now that we've had the Tough-It-Out special: A Bandon Hope, and it went so well, I think this can remain as the fun, practice thread for players wanting to practice with starter sets (of all sorts, and either use the rock or the sponsor balls, just whatever it takes to have fun and vary the challenge). Essentially, this thread offers a chance for players to see what other tourneys are being played with this gear, and have target goals to aim for... While this thread does its thing, meanwhile we can set up a real, monthly event on the Bandon Hope model.

I asked Shoe earlier today about repeating the Bandon Hope-type event monthly, and he responded enthusiastically. He felt WGT probably couldn't offer as many sleeves for prizes month-in, month-out (perhaps just top 3 or top 5 instead of top 10), but saw no reason we couldn't run a similar event (i.e. 2 x single-play rounds over a week or two) alongside, and on the same course as, the VT.

So, I'm very encouraged by that, and looking forward to suggesting a schedule as soon as we see what's coming up in the main VT Tour.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Mon, Jan 12 2015 5:33 PM

I gave the Bandon Jan. VT Tourney (first round) one more try with starters. On the front I was on fire. Holed out from off the green on the first hole and rolled on from there. Once I made the turn, the computer issues kicked into high gear. I somehow remained calm enough to finish but missed 3 birdie putts in makeable range on the back. Shot a 49 that could have been 46.

~CD~

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Jan 13 2015 10:31 AM

Great to see you back Cerino! Nice score. I hope the loading issues improve soon... 

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Fri, Jun 12 2015 12:01 AM

Corwyn:
    Well, I think I've found the new Holy Grail to chase: a par round in the Qualifier: Pinehurst with Champ greens from the tips with full starters.

I've shaved a couple of shots off the target, and had a great opportunity to manage it in par but faded down the stretch.

72 for me (+2)  

Pinehurst #2 / Champ tees / Mod wind / Champ greens / flat lies / full starters

Time, I think, to resurrect this thread from last year... the thread that established interest in a parallel Starters Tour, which we now have in place with the Tough-It-Out events.

The challenge to see if anyone can achieve a par score in the VUSO Qualifier with full Starter Gear is worth putting out there again, especially as Chambers Bay offers fairways that can all pretty much be reached with the VUSO set-up.

I'm going to try and persuade Icon that this could be his next community challenge for the rest of June... so we'll see if he takes the bait.

In the meantime, here's an attempt I made a couple of weeks back:

Chambers Bay / Champ tees (for the most part: VUSO set-up with some closer tees) / Low wind / Champ13 greens / flat lies / full starters

• fredsf
    1,460 Posts
    Sat, Jun 13 2015 6:01 PM

Hey Corwyn,

Reading your post, I decided to give it a go as well. Very fun stuff when getting par on few holes with a head wind is more than a challenge. You have probably improved since this post so here is mine matching your old score  ;-)

I'll Keep my wooden clubs and the eternal rock ball to attempt on the Transamerica at Pinehurst...should be fun as well!!!  ;-)

• fredsf
    1,460 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2015 4:53 AM

I've tried the Glenmorangie Challenge with starters and the Glenmo ball. Too bad it was just the back 9 but had fun anyway. After a good start that could have been even better after this:

Hole # 2:

[View:http://www.wgt.com/themes/wgt/utility/replay.aspx?ID=aec0f642 d1b9 40f5 a7ff a4b900b96911:550:0]

I made some bad decisions aiming edge of the cup on hole #12 and 14 and knowing I was in the straight putt zone despite the dots (believe what you know, forget what you see!). Missed the birdie on #12 and got this stupid square on #14 :(

End of the round was solid...good round but can be improved.

I'll start thinking of the Transamerica but I think I threw away the ball that comes when you sign up. I'll play it with the starter ball then...should be fun too ;)

• ronniebats
    271 Posts
    Tue, Mar 15 2016 2:58 PM

anyone who just has to post a photo of what he does, look like an ego issue

RSS