Forums

Help › Forums

Idea for parallel Starters Virtual Tour

Tue, Mar 15 2016 2:58 PM (147 replies)
  • Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sat, Mar 29 2014 6:14 AM

2nd attempt to post this after writing it all up once already, and suffering the WGT disco.... arrgghhh!

I'm not quite ready to join you guys with the shiny Gold clubs, lol... It's hard enough finding time to play all the rounds with fancies, and these starter-only challenges. Perhaps some day...

CerinoDevoti:
    I tried Cabo with all starter gear in the Wk 13 18 Hole Single Play and the course plays beautifully. Had Moderate Wind in Legend Tier and it's pretty tame. ... the best could easily shoot perhaps -3. ... Good luck folks and I hope some others play it just for the fun. It's really pretty cool actually.

bhoese:
    It was a lot of fun playing all those shots I've never seen before. 

That was great! A wonderful experience, and the first of these starter challenges where par is really possible on every hole, and there are quite a few birdie chances too.

It took me a few holes to get some starter timing back, and played at least one poor shot on each of the first 3. Birdie on #4 got me back on course and I parred my way through the rest of the front 9 without major incident. Had a bizarre perhaps-hit-the-hole 2nd bouncing off a rock on #10, but more annoying managed to miss the 6ft par save... and missed from 4ft on #13 for my 3-putt (this time it just went sideways off the putter). At #14 I went from left rough to through the back, and managed a great save back up the hill (knowing that our best-ball effort needed to find a par there!).

This sweet curler on #15 was birdie number 2, and I also got very lucky with this lip-in on #17. Coming down #18, I was wondering how to find a par to make the best-ball from the 3 of us bogey-free, but I pulled my 2nd into no-man's land, and the resultant flop ended up rolling down to 19ft: I pulled the putt a little too, but even then had hopes when it started to trickle back... but only a bogey after all.

A 74 (+2) for me, and left to rue two really bad putts on 10, 13, and a sloppy start. Could easily have been an under-par round.

Our combined best-ball though was -3! Woo hoo!!!

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Sat, Mar 29 2014 11:57 AM

Great stuff Corwyn. I knew with better putting than my own par is possible on Cabo with starters and even better. It's funny how Cabo is actually very easy when you really look at it. I suppose as a resort course it's set up that way for all levels to be able to have fun. The close to the tee box fairways make a huge difference.

Oh BTW, if you don't get yourself a set of the L10 Tour Starter Clubs, a fresh Pink set is going to appear in your bag. lol ;)))

~CD~

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sat, Mar 29 2014 3:45 PM

Hey Cerino! That's blackmail!!! You can't do that.

Oh, all right then, perhaps I will spend some of my ill-gotten gains to keep you happy!

CerinoDevoti:
    I played the Monthly Unlimited on St Andrews with all starter gear today. Legend tier has No Wind so I figured it was as good a chance as any to play ok. ... Shot a 77. The great putters could par the course in these conditions.

Well, talk about the wheels coming off...

I was doing great until the 13th, lol. Then it all went pear-shaped. Some very bad course management (e.g. trying to thread my 2nd on the 15th through the bunkers, hmmmm, not such a clever choice) and abject putting meant 7 dropped shots in the last 6 holes. So much for what was a very good chance to go round in par. Just a 77 (+5) for me too in the end.

Highlights: pulling off the fabled tough par on #7, with a perfect tee shot way left, and then a 3H onto the green and 2 putt; and this 3W to 4ft on #8 for birdie.

Seems like our best-ball is just +2, both having struggled coming home.

Over to you Ben... Can you get the collective effort to par for combined best-ball?

• bhoese
    679 Posts
    Tue, Apr 1 2014 4:18 PM

I ran out of time for the March tourneys, so no help from me at St Andrews.  I actually did start it a couple of times earlier in the month but ran away with my tail between my legs.  High winds and Champ greens from the tips can be brutal there.

But hey!  Andy's is back this month in unlimited mode with the added bonus of uneven lies!  TLs even get a break on the wind for a change (moderate), increasing the odds of holding another 2 or 3 of the reachable greens in regulation.  I loaded up the golden clubs and GI2-S (I might use that kit for all of these) and jumped in.

Started with a nice 9 iron to set up a burdie.  Drew a headwind on the 2nd that stranded my drive in fescue.  Punched out, rolled 40 feet past, and lipped the putt.  Got the stroke back from almost as far on 3, then a wind-aided GIR and 2-putt on 4.  

I was gifted the ideal R-L wind on 5 and took advantage with an approach that just caught the good side of the hump and a nice 18-footer coming back.  Then I caught the bad side of the false front on 6 and hit a flop of a flop up and past...only to save my beans again from 25.  I opted for the short rough on 7 and got a nice uphill lie, but hit it too hard to take advantage of the relatively soft landing.  

I had the tee shot measured on 8 but missed early, then the putter shanked one that I'm confident would have gone in with the Nike for what would have been the first of four straight birdies.  Drew the tailwind and a nice bounce on 9, right to perfect full FBS SW range.  Knocked it close again on 10.  

This is where I checked the leaderboard. I was within range of placing better than last!  An lucky bounce backed up by a sinker from the fringe on 11 moved me into sole possession of second-to-last place at -5.  

Then things got slightly ugly.  I really wanted to rip the drive with the tailwind on 12, but it was too easy to see a way into each of four fairway bunkers.   I couldn't cash in on my layup when mt approach doinked off the back of the bunker and shot off the back.  I missed the ding on a makeable putt on 13 and had my third land a yard short from rolling toward the pin on 14, where another bad flop led to another bogey.  I used the flop more this round than i might usually use it in a week.  

My bogey streak having neutered my birdie streak, it was time to settle down and finish under par.  15 and 16 were both great examples of why champ greens are such a challenge with starters (or Tour Starters, to be precise).  Each rolled well over 100 feet, probably more like 200.  The 15th stayed on for a 57-foot 2-putt, the 16th rolled off the back for an up-and-down.

I got an unlucky bounce into the rough on my 2nd on the 17th, then a lucky bad mishit that sat up on the side of the bunker for an easy upslope-assisted up-and-down.  One more barely short approach sent me to the Valley of Sin for a final flop, this one successful for the under-par round.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Tue, Apr 1 2014 4:41 PM

Just fantastic play Ben. Bravo!!!!!

Wait till you've used the Golden Clubs for a couple of months, you'll be totally in love with them. ;)

P.S. I noticed we have several nice Unlimited and Single play Tourneys this week and Month that set up for little sticks very well. Should be a blast.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Sat, Apr 5 2014 6:23 PM

I tried the Nike Fi Impact Challenge on CCC with the Tour Starter Set and the 49 credit WGT ball. The Championship Speed greens killed me pretty much. The Moderate Wind had an impact on all the wrong holes as well. I suppose my terrible putting was the real reason I only shot a 75. I know with much better putting this thing can be played under par.

~CD~

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Apr 15 2014 11:17 PM

bhoese:
    Cerino's post inspired me to try the Elkington with the same gear.  I was (a little bit) disappointed to find that the white (hard) tees are in play there.  Shot a 66 with by far my best round using the starter putter, even with a brain-dead 3-putt.

CerinoDevoti:
    Hey Ben,

You inspired me back to try the Elk with Starters and the starter ball as well. I play St A with all starter gear from the whites a lot so why not eh? ;)

I shot a -2 70 but left plenty out there. Made 2 stupid mistakes that added 2 strokes for sure. Then again I also made 2 amazing putts for par saves that pulled 2 strokes off the card so I suppose I got what I got.

Well, I left my attempt at the Elk till the very last day (a habit of mine, I guess!). I played it hard-core, with full Starter Clubs and Ball, and began outstandingly (not, I confess, without a restart or two), with this eagle on #1, and a fun par on #2 after deciding to play a long run-up for my GIR (perhaps the only option with a strong tailwind and no way to stop a high approach). 

I shaved the hole on #3, then left an utterly stupid 5ft putt par putt short on #4, and made a hash of a tailwind on #5 to only par there. A lucky landing just on the ridge at #6 led to birdie, but I played #7 ineptly for bogey, where again a tailwind was trickier with these clubs. Almost got that shot back with this flop on #8, which looked in most of the way...

An inspired run with birdies at #11, this amazing 47ft putt on #13 (where it took 2 great shots just to get that close onto the green), and another lucky bounce-up-and-over the ridge on #14 got me to -5... but I got greedy on #15 and tried to go too close to the pin, instead of accepting a safe shot to the heart of the green. A failed up-and-down meant bogey there. #17 was into the wind and took 2 solid shots and a perfect distance 70 SW to leave the par save, while on #18 I got the chance to hit my favorite punch approach from the right-side, sadly overcooked but stayed up for two-putt par to close with a 68, -4.

I don't remember seeing Ben's card, but I was stunned to see, Cerino, that even our best-ball would have been a 62!

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Tue, Apr 15 2014 11:59 PM

Sweet thing you've going here guys.

I'm always up for some silly golf, all free gear and the sponsors ball?  I've got a Glenmorangie ball somewhere.

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Thu, Apr 17 2014 3:28 AM

Damn, I forgot a screen shot to show my gear.  I have a couple of replays, nothing that shows my irons though.

Highlights of the round were this putt on the 10th and a long approach on the 11th.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Thu, Apr 17 2014 6:18 PM

I had a feeling Whistler would play very well with short clubs because it's a resort course(like Cabo) so I played the Week 16 18 Hole Single Play on Whistler with my L10 Tour Starter Gold Clubs and the 49 credit WGT GI-S Ball. I was right BTW. It's a very nice layout for short clubs. It all went according to plan except on the 3rd Hole. Word to the wise if anyone wants to give it a go. LAY UP Short instead of going for the green even though the club should reach on this par 4. Short clubs don't have enough high trajectory and I hit the trees and lost a ball. Made a quad 8 on that hole but it didn't really bother me. This is the first time I've tried Whistler with short clubs so it was a learning round. Otherwise it went really well. Shot a 73 anyway. The Card tells it all.

RSS