Forums

Help › Forums

Idea for parallel Starters Virtual Tour

Tue, Mar 15 2016 2:58 PM (147 replies)
  • CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Fri, Feb 28 2014 7:04 AM

Hey Corwyn,

Real nice go around on the second attempt. I knew 5-6 birdies were there for the taking with the starters. I had my chances but missed nearly everything. I didn't push too hard to get close to the pins though. Played very conservative to get GIR then took what it offered. Comparing our GIR stats kinda shows that. If I have time I'll keep trying out different tourneys in March with Starters and posting the results. Really wish some other folks would give this a try.

~CD~

• ColumbusStorm
    3,417 Posts
    Fri, Feb 28 2014 11:26 PM

Well I tried it on the Kiawah Invitational with all Starters. Needed to hurry to reserve my spot for the lottery (random drawing).

• bhoese
    679 Posts
    Sat, Mar 1 2014 8:34 AM

I managed a 71 in the Invitational.  Thought I'd have another go at it so I didn't save anything.  I believe I had 4 birdies and 3 bogeys.  High 60s are definitely possible under those conditions.

The GolfNow is a different animal.  TLs have max conditions (for flats) and shooting even par with all starters would be a remarkable accomplishment. 

There are only a handful of opportunities to land a ball on the green and hold it in regulation.  The majority of the greens will be unreachable unless you're lucky with the wind.  When they are reachable, the approach is almost always extremely difficult.  Windblown approaches that land on the putting surface will roll off the back, and the elevated fronts tend to stop balls dead or deflect run-ups off to the side.

I managed a 77, with a lone GIR.  I'll post the card when Photobucket gets their site working.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sat, Mar 1 2014 9:38 AM

bhoese:
    The GolfNow is a different animal.  TLs have max conditions (for flats) and shooting even par with all starters would be a remarkable accomplishment. 

Agreed! Sounds like shooting par would be the round of the century. I was just reading something about Kiawah and how when it opened it seemed like it should be a links-style course where run-up shots should work well, but Pete Dye's choice of Bermuda grass meant everything just sticks in addition to the elevation issues. Thus, the course in real-life too becomes more target golf but complicated by heavy winds.

Another challenge here is that this set of par 3s is so tough. None offer a likely birdie with this club set. And at least two of the par 5s require mid- rather than short-iron 3rd shorts from difficult angles. And that's not even mentioning all the par 4s that won't be reachable...

FYI: Legends have the same first-round conditions: Heavy winds/Champ greens (but only flat lies, lol).

Looking forward to trying it... in a very masochistic way!

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Sat, Mar 1 2014 9:50 AM

Looking forward to it as well. I'm chomping at the bit seeing the harsh conditions. This time out conditions will match and it's truly heads up between us re:TL and Legend. The wind will the odd ball factor so getting a good wind set could mean a big difference in scoring. Wish it was UEL as well. ;)))

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Sat, Mar 1 2014 9:53 AM

bhoese:

The GolfNow is a different animal. .....

.........I managed a 77, with a lone GIR.  I'll post the card when Photobucket gets their site working.

Ben, did you use the free ball as well? I'm trying all of these with the free ball from here on in. I want all the pain I can gather. lol

• bhoese
    679 Posts
    Sat, Mar 1 2014 11:10 AM

CerinoDevoti:

Ben, did you use the free ball as well? I'm trying all of these with the free ball from here on in. I want all the pain I can gather. lol

I did.  I wasn't sure if all of the forced carries would be possible, so free balls were the order of the day.  It looks like there's always a safe place to land with a full shot off of any tee into any wind, although I did have to punch out of 40/50 short of the fairway a couple of times.

Corwyn:

Sounds like shooting par would be the round of the century.

Pretty darn close.  I think it could be done with enough practice and a good set of notes.  49 from the short tees on Kiawah (or any other non-Cabo course) is tougher, as is a perfect unevens from the tips anywhere.  The recipe would include 4-5 GIR and 2-3 birds.

24 putts, and the average distance of made putts on the 17 holes other than the 17th (made the 16.7 footer there) was 3 feet. My scramble attempts resulted in gimmes or near-gimmes 12 times, and horrible fails the other 5.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Sat, Mar 1 2014 12:34 PM

Well that turned out to be more painful that I expected. Mostly due to self-inflicted injury and not being used to Champ Speed Greens. I really don't know what happened on 17 but my first tee shot attempt landed so short in the water I can't believe it. 2nd try from the up tee produced the same thing, a shot over 40 yards short of the rating with the wind factored. Then I just hit the damn thing way left to clear the water and it still was much shorter than expected but dry. Totally took the fun out of the round for me. Good thing it happened with only 1 hole to play or I would have restarted for sure. Don't think I'm going to be taking this challenge on twice. I've had enough. One highlight is actually making a birdie and my par on 15 was stellar..lol

~CD~

• ronniebats
    271 Posts
    Tue, Mar 4 2014 11:26 AM

i dont see how any one can compete in these virtual tours with those who use cheat programs .. seems like these cheaters are full of themselves

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Tue, Mar 4 2014 7:33 PM

ronniebats:

i dont see how any one can compete in these virtual tours with those who use cheat programs .. seems like these cheaters are full of themselves

Cheating is not the subject of this thread. Please complain about cheaters elsewhere. This thread is about trying to play the big Tourneys using only starter clubs and seeing how well we can do with them.

RSS