Forums

Help › Forums

Idea for parallel Starters Virtual Tour

Tue, Mar 15 2016 2:58 PM (147 replies)
  • MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Sat, May 24 2014 3:57 AM

CerinoDevoti:

Ask, bugger and Challenge them to come on board. :)

You think that's going to make them more likely to play?

I'll have to think about that, lifestyle change and all that you know......

• KyRock75
    411 Posts
    Sat, May 24 2014 6:27 AM

Just did the KIA Monthly Uneven Lies tourney w/ the starter gear (was moderate wind and champ greens for me)...damn tough for sure. Made a 14fter for bird on #1 and never made another putt of any length the rest of the way. Hit 2 nice shots on the par 3's on the back to get a couple birds there (#17 replay.aspx?ID=9a3a43ab cff1 4515 8e79 a33500d60683 ) but that was about it. Was happy to finish with a 74.

Don't know if i can get to par on this one or not..would have to make a few longish putts for sure. Def worth the time to play as I had fun trying to negotiate around a course from those tees on UL's w/ the starters.

Rock

edit:  No clue why the replay shows Standard green speed   believe me they were not lol!!

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Sat, May 24 2014 10:57 AM

KyRock75:

No clue why the replay shows Standard green speed   believe me they were not lol!!

It always does for some reason.  Only 7 people in the world know why apparently and 3 of them have been locked away in a sound proof vault.

So I heard anyway.

Very nice score again, you really have it going with those starter clubs.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Thu, Jun 19 2014 7:54 AM

I want to bring this back to the front page with a challenge. I played the US Women's Open "Event" with starter clubs and ball and had a very nice time. The Tees are the White(Pro/Tour Pro) and the green speed is Tourney "11". I didn't notice the green speed until I had left 2 birdies short of the cup. I saw Tourney Speed on the 1st but didn't register the "11" until after the 5th hole.  I did make 6 birdies with 3 of them from kick in length. Approach shots were very good this round and the greens accepted the way I hit them. I used 2 punch run up shots that ended up as good as I could imagine. Managed to birdie 2 of the 4 par 3's but only 1 of the par 5's. The front par 5 was one of the putts that came up short. Of note was the starter wedges. They worked supremely well for pitching and chipping on this track.

Sounds all rosy right.  lol. Now for the down side. Missing those 2 birdies for not being smart enough to notice the green speed early played in later. I also hit to one of the par 4's long then managed to flop the ball across the green and off the front. Missed 2 par putts of my own doing with missed dings. One was under 5 feet. Made 3 bogies on the round. Hit incredible approaches to 17 and 18 only to miss the ding and miss my birdie putts. Got pissed off and didn't save the card. Shot only a 67.

I saw 10 birdie chances with this set up if approach shots are hit very well. Perhaps giving back only 1 bogie. I think our best starter club players/putters could shoot 9-10 under par as well as simply enjoying the round and the set up.

Have it it before it's too late and GL.

~CD~

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Fri, Jun 20 2014 6:30 AM

Hmmm.... I remember when Cerino would go and play a practice round for Tough-It-Out and come on the forum, declaring that -6 or somesuch was really gettable.

Either I'm very rusty with the starters or have altogether lost it, but I am nowhere near managing the kind of round CD is talking about, lol.

I've given it a couple of attempts last few days and this 71 is the best I can do. I will say that this setup really does offer a matching experience to what we've seen IRL at Pinehurst. You do have to think your way around, considering angles of approach and how to hit and hold the crowned greens.

I'm still hoping WGT might offer us a 4-round official restricted-club Starters event sometime soon at Pinehurst. It would be fascinating to see the winning scores.

Congrats to Cerino for his 67, which I'm sure he can better.

I'll offer a sleeve of choice to the player with best 2-round total for this event played with full Starters (but you must present equivalent screenshot proof of each round as shown below).

Have at it, folks! And hurry. First round deadline is midnight tonight.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Fri, Jun 20 2014 10:06 AM

Oh man I gotta do it twice more to nick a sleeve of GB's from ya? I suppose I shouldn't have gotten steamed and saved the card. I really thought after the round the score could have been a lot better if I could putt like some of the others. We'll see if I have the time or the patience to try this twice more.

BTW your putting stats look extremely good. Question: who's the girl you've got playing your shots for ya? ;)

~CD~

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Fri, Jun 20 2014 2:34 PM

I gave it another go but didn't have the kind of luck or skill I had the first time. I was interupted and had to stop playing for several hours between the 13th and the finish and it shows. Both my bogies after 13 were just stupid mistakes from not being in the moment. Only highlight(and I rarely save replays) is a par save putt after a terrible bunker shot. I think my longest putt made was that one. Once again putting let me down and this round could have been much better. Perhaps about 5-6 under par if I made every reasonable putt and didn't just make stupid mistakes. Missing dings once again on easy putts for birdies and pars. Shot even par 70 knowing I left plenty out there. I had to screen shot a replay of my last putt  'cause I forgot on the green.

• ColumbusStorm
    3,417 Posts
    Fri, Jun 20 2014 3:41 PM

CerinoDevoti:
    Question: who's the girl you've got playing your shots for ya? ;)

It is my understanding the USGA frowns on men playing in the Women's US Open. I believe Corwyn is just trying to abide by the rules. ;)

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Fri, Jun 20 2014 7:30 PM
    Played the Event one more time before the first round ended. This game is fascinating at times. I had a completely different type round than the last. This time I went for GIR as much as I could and played pretty safe just to see what happened. Also meant my distance to the pin was higher. 5 birdies with 3 bogies for a 68.  Can't say I really remember anything that stood out this time other than what's on the card.
    I'm on 2 rounds scorecard verified at -2.

Perhaps I was a little over the top re: what could be done with these conditions. All I know is the first run through everything went great from tee to green but I couldn't ding/putt worth a crap. The approach shots I hit that round were fantastic and lucky.  Also figured some other guys would have the hot hand and sink the putts I missed.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sat, Jun 21 2014 8:49 PM

ColumbusStorm:
    It is my understanding the USGA frowns on men playing in the Women's US Open. I believe Corwyn is just trying to abide by the rules. ;)

Yup, Russ is right. I thought it only appropriate given the circumstances.

Cerino, nice going with your 68. I'll do my best to set you some sort of target with my R2, but looks like the sleeve's going to be yours!

RSS