Forums

Help › Forums

Idea for parallel Starters Virtual Tour

Tue, Mar 15 2016 2:58 PM (147 replies)
  • Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, May 19 2014 8:15 PM

Great to see some interest in this thread... but let's some see some more players posting scores!

We'll be supportive, I promise. We just want to have more people see what fresh challenges can be had forcing yourself to think up some different shots. And feel free to modify the club combinations as you need to in order to have fun.

I also tackled the Monthly UEL @ Kiawah, again with full starters (clubs and ball), trying to see if a par round was possible there, and I very much doubt it, lol!

I had some extraordinary good luck (two long bombs, from 43ft on #3, and 46ft on #14, and a chip-in bird on #8, which should have given me a good crack at par, but I had too many loose wedges and sad missed putts such as this 7 footer from a tricky camera angle on #15. Even in low wind, Kiawah is tough going, with several holes where reaching the fairway from the tips is impossible. I'll be seriously impressed if anyone can shoot par here...

75 for me (+3)  Kiawah / Champ tees / Low wind / Tourney greens / UEL / full starters

Next up for me, Pinehurst in the VUSO Qualifier ... with starters, of course, and Cerino's very impressive 74 as the target.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, May 20 2014 2:34 PM

bhoese:
    Still, I think [Cerino] might be right about the possibility of making par.  It would be a great round, but not impossible.

I managed a 76 that fits very well with CD's card for a below-par best ball of 69.  My putting wasn't bad for a 28-putt round, as I sink all of the easy ones and converted a couple of longer tries.  My wedge game was awful.

CerinoDevoti:
    Right back at you Ben. I shot a 74 with all starter gear in the Qualifier this morning. Could have been 3 strokes better on wedge and putting mistakes otherwise I couldn't get any more out of it today. Had great wind so I'm a little disappointed in myself for those 3 strokes.

Well, I think I've found the new Holy Grail to chase: a par round in the Qualifier: Pinehurst with Champ greens from the tips with full starters.

I've shaved a couple of shots off the target, and had a great opportunity to manage it in par but faded down the stretch.

72 for me (+2)  

Pinehurst #2 / Champ tees / Mod wind / Champ greens / flat lies / full starters

Highlights: 

#1 super putt for birdie  |   #2 9ft par save after nice SW from 74 yards landed just to the side of shade (I've found this 3rd shot to be really tricky to get close, but perhaps by aiming well left there's a landing zone that allows the shot to stop in time)

#3 8ft birdie putt    |    #4 great 3rd should have led to par but pushed the 6 footer

#5 approach went much further left than intended and somehow held 2 yards away, for 6ft birdie 

#7 2nd failed to climb ridge, left long lag putt which I pushed badly with 150 meter but sunk 9ft curler to save

#8 sloppy 3rd shot approach was long and made mess of the putt to end with bogey

#9 tee shot just short (little mishit), back into bunker when it seemed it would stay up: but good up and down

#10 this 3rd is about as close as starter clubs can get it, I think, but I misread the early part of the break on the 21ft attempt

#11 a bad 2nd left me short of correct distance, tried ns 70 instead of punch with next club up. A poor strike left me right and 5 yards short, and a bad attempt meant another bogey.

#12 Couldn't reach fairway (the only hole on which this was the case). Got nice 190 club out of 15-20% sand, and hit great 89% 90 wedge to 1.5ft

#13 oh boy, tried one club less (having gone long in previous practice, and seen how horrible it is from beyond the pin) and was miles short!!! oops!, but super flop from 25 yards

#14 awkward distance for 3rd having tried to reach green, duh!, but played super full bs 42 punch 75% to 1 yard

#15 A slightly miscued tee shot went way right into bunker: and was short on escape: pushed 12ft save attempt for another bogey

#16 super approach with 137 to 1 yard for par

#17 lucky to get headwind here of 14 wind @ 5:30, and hit perfect Driver full bs and got lucky fringe landing to kill pace: really should have made very straight 12 footer, but late click when most needed a ding!

#18 a little long on 2nd, and pulled 3rd a touch, led to this infuriating missed 5ft curler

So, even with better putts on the last 2 holes alone, par was a possibility. I'll keep trying! 

I calculate that the best-ball score for the three of us is a spectacular -5!!!

• bhoese
    679 Posts
    Tue, May 20 2014 9:50 PM

I finally made it through the BO4 last night in 87.  I was very happy with the five pars on the front.  Had good winds, reaching 14 fairways, and I shudder to think how awful I'd have been without Mr. Breeze at my back -   the first three unreachable fairways all led to multibogeys.  

I've been bitten by the yips.  They're just killing me right now, and cost me three precious pars this round.  A short par putt on the 6th was repelled by some kind of electromagnetic force.  

My lone contribution to the best ball effort was a lucky one.

• KyRock75
    411 Posts
    Tue, May 20 2014 10:23 PM

Did the VUSO w/ starters finally and had a good time.  Made a buncha putts and was lucky to get out w/ a 71. I think par is def a possibility with the right winds.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Wed, May 21 2014 7:29 AM

Super round Mike! And what great putting stats: you must be quite an expert with that darn starter putter :)

Very impressed with your birdies on 13 and 15. Those are two holes I've not yet figured out how to get reliably anywhere near to yet.

I do enjoy Pinehurst with Starters. It feels like "Golf as it's Supposed to Be Played" where you really have a test to hit and hold those crowned greens with clubs that feel right for the architect's vision. Yes, playing from the tips is pushing it, but still not impossible to make pars. I'm excited to run a Tough-It-Out Virtual Open with 4 rounds (and a mix of tee boxes) there sometime soon...

So glad to see you joining in these Starter rounds!  (Fancy tackling the Bo4 Monthly for a real tough challenge, lol?)

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Wed, May 21 2014 9:05 AM

Great stuff folks!!! Loving seeing the effort and the attitudes about trying these games. Such a contrast to the folks griping about RG's, payouts and VEM. We're playing the hardest games we can imagine and doing it just because it's there to be tried. Stellar!!!

~CD~

P.S. To all who try this, please ask a fellow CC member or 2 to join us. Especially for the US Open Qualifier. We all pretty much know the players in our CC's who might be up for a brutal test. Ask, bugger and Challenge them to come on board. :)

• KyRock75
    411 Posts
    Wed, May 21 2014 7:31 PM

Tackled the Par 4 Monthly w/ Starters tonight. Damn tough and frustrating at times. Putted well again and had decent winds to get thru and post 80. Kinda liking playing this as a change of pace and will continue to do so from time to time.

If you haven't tried this one you should.

Rock

• bhoese
    679 Posts
    Wed, May 21 2014 7:52 PM

That 80 is a fantastic round, Rock, especially the +1 back.  

I think we might have a new favorite for Tough-It-Out 4...

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Wed, May 21 2014 11:20 PM

I have to agree with you, Ben. My title is in jeopardy, lol!

These are outstanding scores, Rock, and your putting is phenomenal. So glad you're finding this gameplay as a fun and challenging alternative. I was about to call it a 'rest cure' from the grind of chasing credits with the fancies, but I'm not sure that 'rest cure' is quite right ;)

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Sat, May 24 2014 3:54 AM

KyRock75:

Made a buncha putts and was lucky to get out w/ a 71. I think par is def a possibility with the right winds.

Wow, that is one hell of  a good score with that gear.

Certainly a lot better than I just managed:

The biggest score killer was my short game with those wedges and starter ball.  My pitches either stopped 5 yards short or, in the case of #12 and #12, went shooting past the hole and off the other side of the green.

I was surprised how reachable the fairways were though, I somehow thought they would be hard to reach most of the time.

RSS